Canada Serving Canada.

Ticket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Ticket

I might be thinking a bit too much into this but I received a ticket yesterday from a cop who had nothing better to do.

Without realizing, I made a right turn at a stop sign in a residential neighbourhood where you cannot between the hours of 4-6pm in Toronto. The cop handed me a stupid $18.75 ticket which was under city by-law 32-92 section 38 (a). According to him because I had a clean record he's reducing it from the $110 ticket + 2 points which to be honest I think was B.S. He even said it's less than a parking ticket.

My question is, it's just a city by-law ticket........and not under the Highway Traffic Act like all "major" tickets fall under, so this will not affect any insurance at all?? Just like receiving a parking ticket essentially, no??

Anyone want to put my mind at ease please??

Old 04-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
ya nothing on your insurance. I got a small speeding ticket for 35 dolllers and that didnt affect my insurance either

Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
my buddy got the same thing when i was with him,. again same thing almost from paying 110 bucks and losing points to by law tciket , exactly the same thing. it happened on yonge and eglinton .the cop was actually pretty nice guy, he could have written big ticket.

i got caught 55 in a 40 zone, increased my insurance by 16 dollars a month.bear in mind

Old 04-23-2009, 06:00 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
guess i just got luck, i was doing 95 in a 80 zone and he dropped the ticket from sumthing sumthing to 35 dollers. Insurance didnt get affected.....yet....lol

Old 04-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a ticket last week, 75 in a 60. Are you saying that my insurance could only be affected by 16 bucks? My understanding is the insurance companies dont care what the ticket is for, they use two categories: under 45km over and over 45km over.... anyone have info on this?

Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 AM
i found out the 16 bucks increase by calling them. because my insurance was renewing last month. i called them to get some more discount. the agent told me about the ticket and calculated what would happen if i never had that ticket and it came up to 16 dollars less than the normal premiums.

this is belair direct. they told me if it wasnt for speed infraction it wouldnt change anything.so even i got caught 55 in a 40 zone or 75 in a 60 zone, it will be again change in premiums.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:01 AM
I had a 110 on a 70 4 years ago and cop dropped it to 80 on 70 which turned out to be $55, no affect on insurance.

From my understanding, it's the demerit points that affects the insurance. 10 over has no effect on demerit points. They also have certain policy where if you get 45km/h over, then they're going to jack it like a bitch.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:35 AM
If it's not an HTA offence, it won't affect your insurance.
As for anything that IS an HTA offence, there is no real guideline for how much your rates are going to go up. What people fail to realize is that tickets/accidents/etc are not a REASON for your rates to go up, they are an EXCUSE. Insurance takes money from you, and gives nothing in return. From their point of view, they would be happier taking MORE money from you. When you do something like speed, you're giving them an excuse to take more money. How much more they take, is totally up to them. They most likely weigh it against the odds of you switching companies, so they try to go for a balance between taking more money from you, but still not to the point where they lose your business and switch to another company.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:35 PM
PDT
I asked my Insurance about the tickets before and they said one minor infraction will not affect your premiums, but two minor infractions will. Minor infractions are over 10 or 15 kms per hour (I believe) and no points. Mind you, things may have changed over the past few years and each insurance company is different.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:48 AM
Listen to this. I am so furious right now i cant think straight.
I was heading on richmond street towards spadina, as i try to turn right the ricer vw does not let me to turn right, so i say, "you know what let me go straight on richmond and either try a u turn ahead or find another street which will lead me to go north on spadina, Ohh there is a cop car stopped ahead, i can see something is wrong , he kind of over parked on the road, so there is no way i can go ahead, so i had to turn left on the second lane, immediately stopped by the cop. he gives me a 110 dollar ticket with 2 points deduction, he does not even listen to me, as i was trying to tell the parked cop-car ahead.

this is outrageous, so many people got ticketed , im gonna challenge this in court, even the cop shows up, I am ready to defend my case. this is basically stealing our hard earned dollars. as i mentioned in my previous posts i already got ambushed in a 40 zone before got my premiums go up, now 2 points deduction 110 dollars fine and premium increase !!! beware my friends

Old 04-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Try this one for laughs. Got pulled over by the cops the other day for "accelerating too quickly"!? What the hell is that?? I asked the cop if I was over the speed limit, he said no, however he was parked at a Tim Horton's (go figure) on the corner of two streets, and when I turned right onto one of the streets I "accelerated quickly" up to (but not over) the speed limit. He ended up giving me a warning, I suppose because there is no law against accelerating quickly. Perhaps the sound of the exhaust note, coupled with the manual gear changes caught his attention - I dunno. But clearly this fella has too much time on his hands if he is going to run down performance cars for "accelerating too quickly". I've never had problems with cops as most of them use common sense when conducting their duties, but this scenario was a little weird.