Canada Serving Canada.

Dealerships - buyer beware - no surprise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Dealerships - buyer beware - no surprise

Last week I was doing a little on-line shopping around for a new set of winter wheel/tires for our family vehicle, an 07 Odyssey EX-L.
Tire rack's quote for 16"steelies wrapped in General Altimax Arctic is $1019.95 including duty,brokerage and taxes.

I figured I would give Waterloo Honda a chance, why not, so I e-mailed them and here is how it went:

Hi guys,
At your convenience, I am looking for a price quote for a set of 4 winter tires for an 07 Odyssey EX-L. 16” black steel wheels (no covers) and tires. Blizzaks or Michelin X-Ice preferred but I’m not overly picky. Dunlop or Toyos are great too. Whatever you can currently offer at your best price.
Thanks,
Paul

Waterloo Honda
Good morning,
Michelin actually does not make that size but Blizzak and Bfg Slolam snow and ice tires are available.
Blizzak package $ 1545.25 and Bfg package is $1404.05
(steel wheel, tpms sensor, tire, installation and taxes.)
<O</O
thanks<O</O
Mark
Parts Manager

Hi Mark,<O</O
<O</O
Thanks for the quick response.<O</O
I should have mentioned I don’t want the extra set of TPMS sensors for the winter set up. How much less without the 4 sensors.<O</O
<O</O
Thanks again,<O</O
Paul

Waterloo Honda
-without the sensors there is a form that has to be signed for legal reasons, also with some of the models with VSA, without the tpms it may not work properly.
Mark Snowden
Parts Manager

Hi Mark,<O</O
<O</O
My understanding of VSA and other similar systems;<O</O
VSA is automatically on every time you start the vehicle even if you turned it off last time you drove. If you drive without sensors the system basically disables the VSA on/off switch so the driver cannot manually turn off the VSA. Therefore, without sensors, the VSA is always on and should be functioning according to spec.<O</O
In a scenario where you get a flat tire and replace it with the spare (no sensor), one would hope that Honda engineered the VSA to continue to function properly.
Technical Information - TPMS
<O</O

Thanks
Paul

I suppose I should not have sent this last reply because it seems to have terminated our correspondence. I tried to be polite even though I was a bit annoyed while typing to them. I just wanted them to understand that I am not going to be 'scared' into paying for something I do not need. Was I wrong to ask for a quote without TPMS sensors?

Old 11-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
They're probably all running around screaming: "Oh nooo, someone who knows his **** from a valve stem, run away, run awayyyy!!!"

Old 11-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP - of course you are not wrong for requesting a TPMS-free quote. that makes perfect sense. the "parts manager" is being a bonehead who is trying to push more parts. also, he probably has not kept himself up-to-speed on the technical aspects of VSA/TPMS interface. so he may be embarrassed by your superior knowledge, and he realizes that he should know more than a consumer.

if you still want a TPMS-free quote i would call them directly, or a different dealer/tire shop. usually a dealership has one or two people who actually know what they are talking about, but most staff are ignorant. remember - it's just a job for most people.

a few years ago when i still took my G to the dealer for maintenance (that ended long ago), the service "tech" tried to sell me on a fuel filter replacement as part of my routine PM schedule. i told him that the owner's manual stated that the fuel filter is a "non-service" item that does not require PM. he then said that at their shop they take the very best care of cars and always go above and beyond what is required. i started laughing and told him to check with a real mechanic, and that since Infiniti pays for warranty work i was certain that their requirements trump any super-special work that the dealer did.

after a somewhat tense discussion he reluctantly went to speak with a master mechanic. of course he came back after a few minutes and in his own, very embarrassed, way said i was correct. i then asked how long they had been changing fuel filters on cars that didn't need the work done. out of the deal i was offered a premium detailing package for free - which i never used since i was highly skeptical of their practices. i actually never returned there - MORREY INFINITI of Coquitlam.

my main hope coming out of the discussion was to educate the service tech, and hopefully they would change their questionable sales practices. it's almost always good to call people on BS. look at it as an educational experience.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This clown is totally trying to push more parts on to you that you do not need.

I have a similar situation with Infiniti. When I first went to the Infiniti stealership in Mississauga to ask them what I can do about my window not working, they told me I should replace the motor, and while the door is apart, replace the regulator as well.

I bought the two parts in advance through a dealer in Arizona. I replaced the motor myself and didnt need the regulator - now I cannot return it. Didn't know I wouldnt need it.

They are just money hungry.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Paul, Check out your local Active Green and Ross dealer. I've just fitted out Marg's Focus with 195-60-15's Michelin X-ice X12's on steelies installed balanced - all in (no PTMS) for under $1100.
No crap about TPMS.

C.