Canada Serving Canada.

HTC HD2 :: Got a new toy and can't use it properly :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HTC HD2 :: Got a new toy and can't use it properly :(

hey Guys,

just wanted to first let everyone know that i'm back to my normal self (regarding the H1N1 flu). I've been soo busy with work and other projects that I haven't had the time to login to driver for an update. Thanks for the support during that time.

so my situation is...

1. I have an account with Rogers w 6gig data plan
2. A HTC HD2 Phone
3. the need for speed

problem is...

I'm always online, checking stocks, news, emails, GDRIVER etc.

Rogers only supports 850mhz for 3G.. because they switched from 1900mhz thinking it would be a stronger signal.... and the phone only supports 900Mhz/2100mhz.

so.. i'm doing everything i normally do on the phone with EDGE speeds (2.5G).

THIS TOTALLY SUCKS.... anyone here that have experience with hacking the HTC firmware? I was able to change the firmware for an older HTC phone to get it to work with the rogers frequencies... but not sure if these new puppies are hackable.

here is the pic of the phone.. and oh ya... ITS THE GOD PHONE!! Soooo much faster and much more responsive... HTC has finally done something right... and its skinnier then the andriod X10 from sony!

... Does anyone have any knowledge with Bell's new GSM frequencies? I really wish i could get this to work with HSPDA/3G... that would be my dream come true

Old 11-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Haven't heard much on these yet...
I assume you've checked http://www.xda-developers.com/?
HD2 Disassemble
They're usually on the bleeding edge.

Interesting comment on the speed....
That's one thing I find to be a problem on my HTC-pro

Old 11-19-2009, 08:04 AM
I had an HTC for a month, then took my loss and sold it. Hated it!!!!

Maybe the new ones are better?

Old 11-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
We have 4 in the office, 3 have gone back on warranty.
The 4th one (mine) will be going back soon because the screen won't hold calibration.

One thing that scares me about the HD2 is the notice on the screen protector
"Important
To prevent damage, do not apply excessive pressure
to the screen or device case. Please remove the
device from your pants pocket before sitting down.
....."

Looks like they're setting things up for possible warranty rejection.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn87
I had an HTC for a month, then took my loss and sold it. Hated it!!!!

Maybe the new ones are better?
I love my HTC... don't know how I got by without it. Just gotta get rid of the bloatwares...

Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Mine went back for warrenty after 3 weeks, didnt work worth a sh*t. Switched to the Blackberry Storm, much better interface.

When the hype is down on the Iphone 3GS ill be switching to that... Way better apps, internet navigating, and has the Sirius App now, which bb doesn not.

The BB is amazing for typing tho as the screen moves and feels like buttons instead of a touch screen.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
if it doesnt support it you wouldnt be able to use any firmware to support it. the hardware needs to be there to support it. i think at least..... i know cell phone bands work this way, so im not sure if the 3G bands work this way too.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Haven't heard much on these yet...
I assume you've checked http://www.xda-developers.com/?
HD2 Disassemble
They're usually on the bleeding edge.

Interesting comment on the speed....
That's one thing I find to be a problem on my HTC-pro
.. that was the first place i checked... i guess the phone is too new... believe me, if your a HTC USER and have survived a month with it.. this phone will change everything..

as for the firmware updates.. the older htc model supported multiple bands but was locked to certain ones which is why i was able to get a different firmware to unlock the frequencies .... not sure how this one is.. they are releasing a NA version with different frequency support mid 2010 but still a big ??? with the 3G band support...

some updates... EDGE SUCKS.. cuz you can't take a call while maintaining a data connection.. which really bites.. ... I thought, maybe i could manage with edge since the phone is amazing in every other way.. but to be disconnected when calls arrive is going to be a problem.

comparing this with older htc models.... its a BIG STEP UP! ... I have owned the HTC TOUCH (1st one), HTC Touch diamond, HTC TyTn I and II as well as the HTC Touch Pro 2 .... and the problem I had with all of them were the lack of speed. Also, they were very hard to use, usually needed 2 hands... they did a really good job with the skinning for the HTC HD2 on winmo 65 so everything is finger friendly like the iphone.

I got wifi tethering to work on it so i can share my crappy edge connection with others.. i guess thats it really.

I still have my iphone 3GS 32Gig 3.1.2 unlocked with native rogers support... if your interested Shawn let me know.. Its still amazing... I also have about 5000+ apps i can throw in along with it with Navigon / TOMTOM North American navigation.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
We have 4 in the office, 3 have gone back on warranty.
The 4th one (mine) will be going back soon because the screen won't hold calibration.

One thing that scares me about the HD2 is the notice on the screen protector
"Important
To prevent damage, do not apply excessive pressure
to the screen or device case. Please remove the
device from your pants pocket before sitting down.
....."

Looks like they're setting things up for possible warranty rejection.
interesting.. i didn't even bother to read that as i was too excited to rip that off and start using the phone.... wow.. i should remove the device from my pocket before sitting down? kinda reminds me of the time i was thinking about phones being so thin that they will break in half when they are in your pocket...

dayum!

Also, winmo7 is around the corner which should also make a world of a difference to any new phone... the snapdragon processor is fasttttt ..1 gig + 512 ram.... man... if they can fit all that into something this thin + capacitive touch (which also made the iphone famous), imagine the future guys...

Old 11-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just so you know, you can't hack a different RF band into a phone. The radio front end is either designed to run with set a frequencies, anything outside of that won't work. You'd have to get a quad-band 3g world phone or one specifically designed for rogers to do what you want to do.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Your right but from my experience, certain phones support multiple bands but are not shown in the spec sheet. This is a quadband however looks like I'm stuck with edge for now. There are some third party companies at pacificmall that offer different bands, crossing my fingers.

The htc tytn is a good example

Old 11-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
...subscribed for updates.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:21 PM
HTC will be releasing the hd2 in australia very soon!!! this is really good news since the carrier they are releasing it with uses the same frequencies as us!! 850mhz 3g

i'm not sure if this phone has a pentaband 3g antenna which is locked with a firmware or if they are releasing different hardware....

i think i'm gonna tinker around with some custom roms til the australian version pops up.. and then its time for a trade!! I'll finally be able to watch Sat TV on the go via slingplayer on a nice big screen AND and....... RDP on this phone is amazing... needed to be hacked in order to get the touch screen keyboard to pop up.. but didn't take long. because of Edge, i keep it at 256 colors but once 3g is available, i'll be able to remote in using 16bit colors!! soo excited!

rdp also has a resolution of 800x480 which is awesome , especially when your on irc

Old 11-23-2009, 01:53 PM
So what was wrong with the Iphone 3GS?

I was looking into getting one, because it has way better apps than my storm, and will run Sirius. Should I reconsider?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:10 PM
I was recently doing the song and dance between the iphone and the Blackberry. I have a BB for work and it is awesome. I can bang out e-mails and tap out text messages quick as can be and the newer models that have awesome screens that are getting better to navigate.

In the end though, I weighed it all out and went with the iPhone. It seemed like everyone I talked to with an iPhone used them all the time and the larger touch screen made the difference. Just got it in the mail the other day and so far so good!

The only problem is that the battery life is not the best and it "appears" more fragile. The blackberry lasts forever and I found them to be tough as nails. I just wish they evolved their UI a bit more. Its still a little too linear for what it can actually do. I figure with the BB for work and the iPhone for play its pretty sweet.

I'd say get the iPhone.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HTC HD2 :: Got a new toy and can't use it properly :(