Canada Serving Canada.

Loose rear end links

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Loose rear end links

Had an oil change (mobil synth $75) at a local Nissan dealership and they suggested I replace my rear end link kit for $140? Should I go OEM or is there a better alternative?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Guess I'll just go OEM. Is there anything I should be considering doing while they're at it?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would change the sway bar if you haven't already, I have the 350evo on my car, very nice upgrade.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Hi Sam,
Originally Posted by whatacar
Had an oil change (mobil synth $75) at a local Nissan dealership and they suggested I replace my rear end link kit for $140? Should I go OEM or is there a better alternative?
- Does $140 at a Nissan dealer service rate seem normal. To my limited knowledge this should take less than 1 hour to replace both links. How much are the parts here in Canada. In the US they are < $20 a side.
Guess I'll just go OEM. Is there anything I should be considering doing while they're at it?
- BTW, that's a loaded question,

Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by sdnpaul5at
I would change the sway bar if you haven't already, I have the 350evo on my car, very nice upgrade.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. Anyone got a sway bar they want to sell?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi,
Where your bushings worn right out? If not then I doubt you did any wear to your sway bar. If it's not twisted or broke it's fine. I think if you needed a new sway they would have tried to up sell you on it. It's a more expensive part and would add time to labour. JMO

Old 03-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Hi Sam,

- Does $140 at a Nissan dealer service rate seem normal. To my limited knowledge this should take less than 1 hour to replace both links. How much are the parts here in Canada. In the US they are < $20 a side.

- BTW, that's a loaded question,
Morning Paul,
I thought the Oil change was well priced. As for the end links, I'm sourcing the parts now. I've sent David (Kijiji) a pm and he's getting prices for me, as well as a front inner tie rod end. They also wanted me to do a rear diff. service, which I had done at Vic's 20 000 km ago. So, no, they won't be doing the work. I take everything they say with at least a grain of salt.
As for the loaded question ...... shoot away. As far as cars go, I am always open to options. BTW how's Stephan and his little girl. I may give him a call when I put the summers on.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Hi,
Where your bushings worn right out? If not then I doubt you did any wear to your sway bar. If it's not twisted or broke it's fine. I think if you needed a new sway they would have tried to up sell you on it. It's a more expensive part and would add time to labour. JMO
This was sdnpaul5at's suggestion as something I might consider while they were under there as an upgrade.
I'll be taking the G to my local guy in Cambridge to check out what they said, and may be giving him a chance to do the work as well. He's lots closer that Vic and has always serviced my other cars well.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Morning Paul,
I thought the Oil change was well priced. As for the end links, I'm sourcing the parts now. I've sent David (Kijiji) a pm and he's getting prices for me, as well as a front inner tie rod end. They also wanted me to do a rear diff. service, which I had done at Vic's 20 000 km ago. So, no, they won't be doing the work. I take everything they say with at least a grain of salt.
As for the loaded question ...... shoot away. As far as cars go, I am always open to options. BTW how's Stephan and his little girl. I may give him a call when I put the summers on.

They are doing great. Through the winter months I hardly saw little Eva at all then I saw her out walking with her mom and dad the other day. She is growing so fast.
He's happy to be very busy at work again. They really slowed down last year (they're automotive). Laid off a lot of guys and cut his hours about 20%. He's back to full time and even pulling in some OT hours.
He has 4 details booked already plus I saw him doing an interior yesterday. Looks like he is going to pick up right where he left off. We might have to keep his car service 'our little secret' from now on or we may end up the the back of a very long line. lol
It must have been VERY tempting to put your summer tires on over the past couple weeks. I still have my winters on too. Just another week or so I think. Of coarse with AWD, even if we get a little more white stuff I wouldn't feel the need to worry - not like you coupe guys.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:17 AM
This was sdnpaul5at's suggestion as something I might consider while they were under there as an upgrade.
I'll be taking the G to my local guy in Cambridge to check out what they said, and may be giving him a chance to do the work as well. He's lots closer that Vic and has always serviced my other cars well.
Yeah, I saw that. It's a good idea especially if you really want to feel like your riding rails through all our roundabouts.
I looked up that sway. I found an OLD FS Post here on driver. It sold for about $250US https://g35driver.com/forums/1699617-post1.html

Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
^^ It was advertised at that price, I wouldn't necessarily assume it went for that. When I was looking at says a year ago, a local guy had a set he would let go for under 200 Cdn IIRC. I got my Stillens for $100 plus my OEM rear (seller was returning to stock and had sold his OEM unit). BTW, replacing end links is a pretty easy DIY, and you may be able to get parts online.

EDIT: Looks like end links are about 30 a side:

http://www.autopartsway.ca/autoparts...475~241475~105

Last edited by Swivel; 03-15-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
^^ It was advertised at that price, I wouldn't necessarily assume it went for that. When I was looking at says a year ago, a local guy had a set he would let go for under 200 Cdn IIRC. I got my Stillens for $100 plus my OEM rear (seller was returning to stock and had sold his OEM unit). BTW, replacing end links is a pretty easy DIY, and you may be able to get parts online.

EDIT: Looks like end links are about 30 a side:

http://www.autopartsway.ca/autoparts...475~241475~105
Thanks for the 411 Wayne. As far as DIY's go ... my driveway and street are pretty steep and I haven't been able to create more than a path through my garage for a couple of years now, so DIY are out of the question for me.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:30 PM
The body shop who fixed my G a couple of years ago is willing to give me $400 of labour to close out their obligation to me. I'm to supply all parts.
This is a very equitable situation and I was very satisfied with their work. My mechanic has told me I need an inner tie rod end, and some rear end links. I'm thinking about picking ups some SS brake lines and OEM 06 calipers/rotors and pads. My exhaust is in fair condition. Is there anything else I should be thinking about while I'm having them do the work?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
The body shop who fixed my G a couple of years ago is willing to give me $400 of labour to close out their obligation to me. I'm to supply all parts.
This is a very equitable situation and I was very satisfied with their work.
I don't know if I would be very satisfied, they almost wrote your car off in their shop I know they fixed all their damage, but geeze, I would not be going back there or did they fire that guy.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:55 AM
I know what you're saying Wayne, but $400 wort of labour is still $$$. They also do an excellent 4 wheel alignment, which I'll need after the tie rod end. They made good on their commitment to me to bring the G to better condition than it was. They did that and paid for a Maxima for me while they did the work. Sometimes snit happens. Their job passed Kevin's inspection and I will recommend their work to anyone. Would I rather that it never happened, you bet. They did not fire the fellow, (young guy, just married and one in the oven..)but believed his story of a jammed gas peddle. If you recall it was just before Christmas and everyone caught the spirit of the season.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Loose rear end links