MagicJack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2010 | 01:22 PM
Eno
|
Arrow MagicJack

Eh folks.

Dad was talking to me one day about the fact that he got one for travelling and really liked it. Said it worked great on the road at hotels and so on, and was darned near free.

On my last trip out east I had left the TV on all night and woke up to a MJ commercial. Anyway, after 20 minutes of listening to the features, and the ridiculously low cost, I caved (first time in my life on an infomercial- I am so ashamed) and purchased them.

I'm not affiliated or involved in some pyramid or anything- but I thought I'd let you know how the experience has been so far.

I paid 69 bucks for 5 years of use. Local and long distance in north america is free- and, better still, if you bring your jack with you with a laptop computer, you can use it on the road and make the free calls back to Canada or in the US. VERY reduced rates across the pond as well. (5 cents to india, for example)

I received the order in decent time, and installation is quite simple. The software is on the jack itself and takes a couple of minutes to register. I was a bit disappointed that it was 10 additional dollars for a Canadian / novelty number but honestly- I wasn't too fussed about it. As soon as I'd paid that little extra, my phone plugs into the jack and away I went making free calls for 5 years. Also included most normal features- VM, call display, forwarding etc.

Tech support so far has been at LEAST average if not a bit over. Unfortunately the Magicjack Canada is largely just a distributor and doesn't do tech support per se. I had ordered through the US MJ- so needed to do some account clarification through them- but that was relatively painless considering everything is automated these days.

Sound quality is great- though you need to have your computer on and the mj software running for the jack to work- which I do anyway so no big deal.

So if you guys are hovering on getting one- and you are tired of paying 50-60 bucks a month on Shaw home phone... I just paid 79 bucks (because of the 10 extra for canadian number- you can get a US number free if you're planning on just using it for travel... or you're REALLY cheap) for 5 years... works out to something like 1.25 per month.

All good so far- if you have any "user" related questions... let me know! I'll be as honest as I can.

Old 08-16-2010 | 01:50 PM
Will it fit under a lowered car? What's its lift capacity?

Oh, wait, nvm...thanks for the insight. If I ever phoned anyone, I'd look into it. Misanthropy has its advantages.

Old 08-16-2010 | 01:52 PM
Eno
|
I know it's a bit OT but hey- it IS Canada related.

Old 08-16-2010 | 01:56 PM
Totally relevant! Just not something I could personally take great advantage of.

Old 08-17-2010 | 11:49 AM
Yeah a buddy of mine has that and he got something else instead, also pretty cool.

I have my home phone with freephoneline.ca, just the software, I use a PC headset (for emergencies really, I use my cell 99%). You get a free local Canadian number, free local/long distance calling, VM, call display, etc...ENTIRELY FREE!!!

Then, if you wish you can go a step further, like my buddy did:

He also registered with "freephoneline.ca", but additionally purchased their modem box which plugs into your router and activates all your phone lines in the house, thus using it exclusively as a home phone using existing Bell jacks. This was $50 for the box and $50 for activation, the rest of your life...FREE!!! Works great too.

Old 08-17-2010 | 09:28 PM
Thanks guys. I didn't think the magicjack worked in Canada and I had never heard of the freephoneline.ca. Given the amount Ma Bell charges each 30 days and the minimal amount I use the phone (like Johnny says 99% cell) I'm going to look into this. Cheers.

Old 08-17-2010 | 10:39 PM
Eno
|
Yeah I'm with Rogers right Now and their coverage basically sucks in both areas I work or live in ( okotoks and fort mcmurray.) the horrible connectivity forced me to explore this option and it's been good so far!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.