Canada Serving Canada.

Calgary: Mister Transmission VB upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Arrow Calgary: Mister Transmission VB upgrade

Eh guys. Going to be testing the waters with MT in Calgary for the Transgo valvebody upgrade. The gentleman I talked to on the phone seemed knowledgeable and it seems their shop is quite familiar with our trannies. I'm getting the work done Thursday.

I purchased the Transgo from Summit Racing and that transaction was quick and painless. The kit was about 250... the install quoted generally as:

The labour component of remove & install valve body is 2.5 hours ( $237.50 )
The time it takes to install the shift kit is approx 2 hours ( $190.00 )
Fluid to fill is approx 5lt ( $40.00 )
Filter & gasket ( 25.00 )

That sounded about par for the course. I also talked to him about a tranny cooler- and there were some specifics he got into that I'm actually going to need to see before I can explain. He pointed out a basic flaw in the design of how the existing setup. I'll expand on that when I actually understand what he said. It made sense as he explained it... but then again Kickstart My Heart sounds awesome when Motley Crew sings it- not so much when I'm belting it out in the shower.

Anyways... 8am Thursday. I'll keep you posted. Perhaps the VB upgrade is something some of the AT guys in the area have been thinking about?

Old 08-25-2010, 03:37 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
yup one of the best mods for auto's, ull love it, chirping tires wid an auto lol

get a larger tranny cooler, that should b good enough,

Old 08-25-2010, 06:35 AM
Eno
Going to let them sort out what would work best under the circumstances- but I'm not sure they'll get it on there this time around. Looking forward to the upgrade that's for sure!

Old 08-27-2010, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did it go?

Looking forward to doing this mod as well.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I want to do this mod also. Let us know how the install went and what your impressions are.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Update??

Old 08-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Eno
Sorry guys- my OTHER hobby is computers and I just upgraded to the vaunted 980X... in doing so I had to flash my bios on the other computer and something didn't take- Still working on it- now on another computer.

Anyway, enough about my life story and on with the update:

Overall impressions were really good- He said the valve body upgrade did take a bit longer than he expected. Again, it's the transgo kit... and there is undoubtedly a lot more pull from the tranny. I don't know how to put it into more technical terms, but let's just say that when you're just driving willie nillie, if you didn't know you'd had it done you might not even notice. Might think that a couple of the gear changes are faster than normal with less lag between certain gears- or you'd think nothing at all. Maybe think your ECU was adapting or something.

But stuff your foot into it... hello Shirley.

I have to admit I'm really looking forward to the boost upgrade- I can feel now like the tranny has that bite, but the engine is still mostly bark. If I were running stock right now with the VB upgrade I'd probably be a bit disappointed- it is snappier but I know there's a gap there between what it's ready to deliver and what it is delivering right now. I am NA with a solid list of intake, plenum and exhaust mods- without headers.

I also had the transmission cooler installed. He (Kris Langston) said that there was lots of room under there- but that one of the hoses had to be routed in a way that might not look good on inspection, but helped avoid a really sharp angle coming off one of the ports. I haven't actually taken a look at it but the way he explained it made sense. That added a couple hours of labour and some dough for the cooler kit itself.

My original quote was as mentioned up top and he kept it right in line with that. Even though it took longer for the VB upgrade, he said he'd make up time with the cooler install which, he mentioned in my update, would take less time than expected. I dropped the car off at a little past 9 and picked it up before 5.

For now, I give Mister Transmission on 58th Ave and 1A st, Summit Racing and the Transgo kit the checkered flag for the WIN!

PM if you have specific questions... happy to share on the experience for a change!

Old 08-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
if this is recommended then ill go do it this weekend? lol
also i have noticed a clicking sound when goin from 2-3 and 3-2

i have read some post already about it and ppl are saying that the factory didnt put enought torque on the rear alxe.
Has anyone had the same issue??

thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Eno
Eh Thrilla. I'm not sure if MT has the VB upgrade- I bought it from Summit Racing- you can find them in here or online elsewhere. They shipped really quick, was a good price... Overall ++ experience. Simple, painless. Obviously the parts showed up well packaged and complete- ie: my install went without a hitch. If you want, call Mister Transmission on 58th and 1a street and ask for Kris. He'll explain more about product availability. Tell him you're from the same forums as the last G that went through. That way, if we bring him enough business perhaps we could get a Driver discount on other services.

Also, that clicking noise- I am getting it too and it sounds quite common. mostly coming out of park into reverse but sometimes it carries on to 1st as well. The fix can be found in the FSMs located on the forum in the FAQ DIY I think. Both Infiniti and Nissan's overall response locally is about 300 bucks to get it fixed. Other guys say they've had the work done at their local tug and torques (wherever they are) and got it done for 60-100 bucks (though I've had no such luck.)

If you're even somewhat proficient with mechanics and following instructions (I'm not) then you could even do it yourself. Most guys are saying you don't necessarily HAVE to completely replace parts as they indicate that the clicking is a result of requiring adjustment as opposed to replacement. (Rotating and re-greasing the axle). The expensive part appears to be the grease- the PROPER stuff being over 100 bucks a bottle (if memory serves- don't quote). Overall, guys down south are saying purchasing the appropriate parts cost between 30-50 bucks. That's about what the dealership said here too.

So yeah, give Kris a call and talk to him. Perhaps they can order the parts for you?

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Speaking of which- I've seen a car like yours around the south end... Is that you?

Old 08-30-2010, 05:13 PM
awesome man that sound good.. I got a 5AT so i want this upgrade. I will give them a shout and im gonna take the car to the dealer and tell them to do the **** since i have the full bs package extended warrenty..

ya im down south almost everyday. Thats if your talking about the shawnessy mckenzie cranston area. lol

if i was drving like an idiot and it affected you at all my bad!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Eno
Unfortunately, I got the extended too and it doesn't cover it. Only the bumper to bumper covers it- and if you got the same package I did... well... it's apparently not bumper to bumper.

Didn't affect me- people I know out in Okotoks keep saying they see my car in stock form with tinted windows. There's a lady out here in Okotoks with the same car, only without a tint. I've seen a white one around lately too quite a few times with a deep tint. Not sure who that is. Also parked next to a light blue one yesterday at the theatre... don't know if that is one of us?

Old 08-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Well im gonna tell them to go f themselves. I didnt pay 3grand for nothing.

Haha iv been in okotoks a couple of times recently.. I dunno man there are alot
of G's in the city.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Eno
I see a lot of stock ones- but usually I figure the modded drivers are around here somewhere in the forums.

Let me know how that works for you with the warranty thing. I might try again if you have any success. Considering it's something that they probably under-designed anyway... who knows. I'll look at my package again and see if I can justify it somehow.

Keep me posted!~ I'll do the same.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:36 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by G35thrilla
Well im gonna tell them to go f themselves. I didnt pay 3grand for nothing.

Haha iv been in okotoks a couple of times recently.. I dunno man there are alot
of G's in the city.

I came across a DG or Silver one with aftermarket wheels on the way to the Petro Canada just out of the city on the #1. I thought I would get to dole a out a nice little beat down....but he didn't take the bait It might be time to anodize the intercoolers black.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 AM
no one in there right mind will try to run you sylvan.. hahahah
well not around these parts atleast.. im sure in the states that would be a different story..

They got to much money down there hahah

Last edited by G35thrilla; 08-31-2010 at 10:20 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Calgary: Mister Transmission VB upgrade