Canada Serving Canada.

Newbie questions about '05 coupe.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2004 | 03:43 PM
|
Newbie questions about '05 coupe.

hi all,

i just recently had my vehicle stolen (2003 6 spd acura cl type s - great car by the way!) and now am looking at a suitable replacement. i was thinking about the acura tl but don't really like the styling. then i saw a g35 coupe drive by and thought "wow" that's a great looking car. although it's more money than my old cl it doesn't seem that far off tl pricing.

... just wanted to get some feedback on what current owner's thought of their vehicles... basically wanted to know the following:

1) what they thought of the manual transmission
2) what's the quality like (i don't want to be taking the car back for regular nuisances like rattles and such...)
3) if u drive it in the winter (like i'll be doing) do u have any problems with snow tires on?

many thanks to anyone that can get me some input into the vehicle as i currently cannot find an '05 to test drive at the dealership.

ps. anyone with referalls to dealerships around the gta would also be greatly appreciated.

pss. can someone tell me the difference between the sport and performance package? can't get anything of usefulness from the infiniti website.

hope i didn't ramble too much.

thanks again.

Old 11-24-2004 | 09:50 AM
|
Re: Newbie questions about '05 coupe.

wow... didn't know canadian g35 drivers were so reserved about expressing opinions on their own vehicles... i'll try reposting elsewhere.

Old 11-24-2004 | 11:15 AM

I'll reply....Theres not too many Canadian Guys on here I dont think.
1. I have the 6MT and love it...zero complaints
2. There have been a few complaints about rattles and such, but I think that will happen with any new vehicle....mine has been solid as a rock, havent had any problems, havent had to take it in other than for oil changes.
3. I drive mine all winter, but you MUST buy winter tires cause the OEM tires are STRICTLY for summer. I got a set of 18" Blizzaks and have had no problems at all, traction is good, stability excellent, road noise is more than in summer but that is to be expects from winter tires.

My opinion is shared by many..especially the guys you will find around here.That is that this is the best car in the category...otherwise I wouldnt have bought it. I personally love the styling (i stare at her every time i walk away), i get many compliments on her. She preforms exceptional, for me anyway.
If you are in canada there are few options to decide between....if you get the manual, like i did it comes loaded with sunroof, spoiler etc, only option was for Navigation...which i didnt want, or need. (Not the same as in the states, they can pick and choose like the website shows)
I am in alberta so not sure about dealerships around your area....but for your own sake....TAKE THE TIME TO GO CHECK IT OUT...thats when i fell in love with her.
Good luck shopping man, sorry for the wait before my reply.
If you need more help PM me or repost here and i will check it when i get a chance.
Later and let us know if you join our little family

04 Laser Red 6MT
25% Tint
Partially Debadged

Old 11-24-2004 | 12:31 PM
|

thanks radjack,

at first i thought i may have offended someone with my query or something... i was kinda stumped at why no one was giving any feedback. i agree... i really like the car's looks and i think i'll have more fun with it than with the acura tl (plus i would like to get another 2 door car). it's too bad there aren't any '05 manual cars to test drive at the dealership yet... maybe i'll take the automatic out. thanks for your info... i think i'm going to go ahead and place an order for a sport package model without the navigation... was thinking about black on black.... but seeing your picture is making me want a red. thanks again for the info, much appreciated. now if only the insurance company could hurry up and settle my claim!!

Old 11-24-2004 | 12:50 PM
PDT

Sorry to hear that your car was stolen. Look at the bright side, you can get a G now!!

To answer your questions:
1) I have an automatic Sedan, I cannot comment on the Manual Coupes.
2) With any car, you will have little rattles. I had one or two, and had them corrected when I went in for an oil change.
3) I drive my G all year round. I went my first 2 years with the OEM tires. First year no problem, but got stuck a few times last winter, which prompted me to purchase some Winter Tires!!

I'm not sure where you looking to purchase your car in the GTA, but the only salesperson I know that is still at a Nissan / Infiniti dealership is at Alta Nissan (in Woodbrige). If you are interested, I can PM you his number.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-24-2004 | 01:01 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

1) what they thought of the manual transmission
2) what's the quality like (i don't want to be taking the car back for regular nuisances like rattles and such...)
3) if u drive it in the winter (like i'll be doing) do u have any problems with snow tires on?

<hr></blockquote>

1) In my opinion, 03-04 6MT has notchy shifting comparing to Honda/Acura, but I heard that it has been improved on 05
2) The rattle ws so annoying on my 03, but after few trip to Infiniti of Yorkville, most of them are gone. And I actually had more rattle noise on my previous bimmer and MB. So I would say Infiniti's build quality is acceptable
3) My G coupe was my daily driver, and I only got stuck in the snow once. It is not so hard to drive on the snow with G, but you just have to know what you are doing and drive cautiously.

Also, don't be fooled by automatic G, which feel slow and heavy. A 6MT G will feel much lighter(just the feel...) and faster.

Referral.....just don't go to Willowdale Infiniti then you should be fine [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

My G Coupe

Old 11-24-2004 | 07:05 PM
04 G35 Coupe 6MT Gold Brembo’s

Hey Giddyup,

I highly recommend the G! Excellent value, awesome performance and style, no regrets! Great overall quality, I didn't have any rattles. I can't think of a better car out there right now for the same money. I chose the manual, which I'm very happy with.

If you want an auto, you should pm (private message) one of our mods, gsedanman, who has one for sale.

Good luck on your decision.

Old 12-17-2004 | 09:29 AM
|
finally ordered one!

hey everyone... thanks for your replies. in the end i finally ordered one just yesterday. i'm trying to get a white one... but if it's not available i'm settling down with the black (should have a confirmation on the white within a couple of days). dealer told me i should get it by the end of january.

ps. for anyone looking for a great deal... get a membership with the automobile protection association (APA - www.apa.ca). i think it's about 65$ for membership and they will give u a great deal and contact info for purchasing the vehicle. i ordered mine with woodchester infiniti and i got the car for 1500$ over dealer invoice plus freight, air con tax, gas tax, and gov taxes (no admin fees either). went to infiniti @ dixie auto mall and they told me that they could not match the price at all.

can't wait to get the sucker and get out of my junky gm rental !!

see everyone out on the roads.

-best regards and happy holidays.

Old 12-17-2004 | 10:18 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
Hey giddyup69.
You will love the G. It has the bling factor and really is fun to drive. It's a well built car and is expected to have one of the highest resale values of any car made. Even though I've not driven a 6 speed CL to compare I'll give you some feedback. (we did own a '99 TL AT since new until this summer however) As far as your questions go:

transmission- not the standard of the industry(acura will be better) but not as bad as some others post. Mine works smoothly and is not notchy.

rattles- car is very good. I did have to have the TSB done on mine for the rear seat/rear deck area to correct some resonance there but the dealer said this was supposed to have been corrected for '04. However mine is an '04.5 The passenger seat belt buckle rattles against the door when not in use so you have to fasten is when not in use or put in some kind of pad on door. That's it. The rest of the car is very tight. Some have complained of wind noise at speed but I do not find that at all. There is a fair bit of road noise from this platform however.

Winter driving- I can't help you here as mine is stored. It's pretty clear with rear wheel drive and bigger tires you won't have the stick of the CL. The 6 speed does have a limited slip though and I'm told the VDC does a good job of reducing wheel spin and assisting traction.