Canada Serving Canada.

Radio/Head Unit Repair Service in Edmonton

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio/Head Unit Repair Service in Edmonton

Hi everyone, long time lurker & searcher, 1st time poster.
My 03 coupe’s radio/head unit finally started to seize up last week. I have a quote from Ericksen @ $650 to remove & replace (cheaper than I thought it would be) & should have a number from Sherwood Nissan tomorrow. I tried to get a quote from Certified Radio on Whyte but let’s just say that it was a waste of time.
If any locals have already had their radio/head units repaired or replaced & can recommend a shop in Edmonton, please let me know.
Thanks!

PS – Thx to everyone for contributing to this forum - all of the Q&A has saved me gobs of time & $$$!

Old 07-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
is OEM replacement the only option you are looking at? Or are you open to a aftermarket dual din kit?
If so consider getting the metra (not my style) or JDM (looks same as OEM) centre console with a dual din space. The you can put in a dual din deck with whatever features you want.
$650 to replace with another soon to fail item seems steep. I'd take (and I did) the opportunity to upgrade to a better deck.
My 2c, all the best and welcome to the forum.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, I am considering an aftermarket unit as well but I wanted to get a couple dealer quotes just to get an idea as to what I will be spending on this repair. I seldom listen to the radio so a premium sound system is not a priority.
The main reason for my post is to find a reputable local car audio shop that won’t try to rape me. For example, the following is a conversation I had at Certified Radio (they call themselves “Edmonton's premier car stereo installation store”):

Me: “My radio head unit has failed on my 2003 G35 & I would like a quote from you to either repair or replace it.”
Certified Radio: “We can’t give you a quote until we tear it out & send it to our repair facility. Should take a few weeks.”
Me: “What about replacing with an aftermarket unit?”
Certified Radio: “Nope, can’t be done on Infiniti’s because of the integrated climate control.”
Me: “I’m pretty sure it’s possible as I have seen other G35’s with aftermarket units.”
Certified Radio: “No, you are wrong.”
Me: “I see you are a Metra dealer. Would you mind checking to see if they sell anything that might fit a G35?”
Certified Radio: ”Oh, they do have something...the Metra double din kit for your car will cost $450 + whatever audio components you want + installation.”

Knowing I can source the same Metra part online for $150, I thanked him & left.

So, my next move was to hit the forums hoping to find someone local who has been down this road already. If not, I will either roll the dice with the Yellow Pages or have the dealer swap out with another OEM unit.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
I got a Meta unit from auto temp in RedDeer but you need a new audio shop. I think they have autotemp in Edmonton. They suck in RedDeer but at least they got it done. Red35 got his DD kit and deck installed in Edmonton I think he has a good shop he uses. I will point him to this thread. I wouldnt replace it with another OEM for $650 If you really want another OEM unit i have one i would sell you. It worked fine when I took it out of my car.

This is in the classifieds audio/video section

Originally Posted by 1 sick G
Pioneer F900BT is the model number

I am selling the Pioneer double din. It has bluetooth, navigation, an SD card slot, USB, and it is a touchscreen. I will include all harnesses and antenna adapter so it plug and play as soon as you receive it.

Call or text me anytime
305 799 9291

Thanks
Mike

Here are the pictures:

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 07-05-2011 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BAAG35 (07-05-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks, I didn't even think of looking in the marketplace! If I don't find anything in the next few weeks I'll likely take you up on your offer.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
I have been holding on to all of my stock parts thinking I ill part it out and return to stock one day......might be time to let that dream die.