Canada Serving Canada.

Buying a used G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a used G35 Coupe

Hi everyone, I am thinking of buying a used G35 Coupe, preferably a 2006 for the updated interior and projector headlights. The only thing stopping me now is all this stuff I keep reading about the oil consumption problem. Did this problem show up right after driving it off the lot brand new? Am I safe to assume that everyone has gotten this problem solved now that it's 2017? I would figure most G35s are now out of warranty. The lowest mileage I found for a used G35 is like about 80,000 in Toronto/GTA. If it seems like a bad idea, I may just go with a Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5, unless that one was affected too..

Old 01-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Overall, Ya puts your money down and takes your chance. If I recall correctly and don't quote me, 2% of cars manufactured have oil consumption from day one.

Have you seen the service history? See where it's serviced and drop by to ask them. Always take it to a reputable mechanic to be checked over.

Did you check the oil level when you looked at it? Did you ask the owner if it had an OCP?

I'm on my second G and just passed 200 000 kms coming home from Toronto on the 401, far left lane, going with the flow, just a tad over the limit and ...........................loving it!

Continue doing your due diligence and make an informed discussion. That's all you can do unless you're buying a car from a trusted family member or friend. And then, it's never 100%.

GL, keep us posted.

There's a Face Book G group as well if you're so inclined.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,019 Likes on 937 Posts
Facebook G group = civic fanboy club. Don't go there if you don't like seeing innocent cars getting destroyed.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Oil Consumption, and any "normal" problem in general, is amplified on forums because forums tend to focus on problems and how to fix them. All VQ35DE engines are susceptible to oil consumption, and I knew more people with 03-04 models burning oil than revups burning oil. Main thing is service history on the car. It can be a gamble if you don't know how it was maintained. I'm just a sample size of 1, but my 06 revup didn't start burning oil excessively until around 180k miles. Before that it was maybe 1/2qt low after 4,000 miles. Don't be too scared off, just be aware that it MAY be a problem you'll encounter.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
The Oil consumption issue is well-known but should not hinder you from buying one as long as it has good maintenance records and you inspect the car thoroughly. Most G35's with higher miles will burn some amount of oil, but as long as you stay consistent with routine maintenance (mostly regular oil changes at 3k intervals) you should be fine.

My 05 burns a little oil so I usually add 1/2 to 1qt oil in between changes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.