Canada Serving Canada.

G35 Sedan vs. Volvo S60 T5?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2003 | 03:34 PM
|
G35 Sedan vs. Volvo S60 T5?

Did anyone compare these two before their purchase?
Aside from the $5-6k price difference and the FWD/RWD difference, what opinions does everyone have, e.g. performance, handling, build quality, interior quality, etc.
I'm a prospective G35 purchaser so I'm doing my research...any help would be appreciated!

Old 06-30-2003 | 10:53 AM
Re: G35 Sedan vs. Volvo S60 T5?

It all depends on what you need. The way I see it, the Volvo S60 T5 is more a luxury-family car with sport quality but even with 247 hp, it's no match for the g35. I also read on other forum that Volvo may have issue with reliability of the turbo. I don't know if it's true but it's certainly worth to be verify before buying.

On the exterior styling, I'm not a big fan of the s60 but that's personnal. But on the interior quality, wow! It beats the g35 big time.

But if I had the choice of any s60, I wouldn't take the T5. For the little price difference, I'll go with the s60R all the way. But again, on a personnal basis, even if the S60 T5 and g35 were the same price, I'll stick with my g. With the S60 R hmmmmm... I don't know.

Old 06-30-2003 | 06:33 PM
|

I hear what you're saying about the S60R - I would pick that hands down! (but good luck finding 98 octane for peak performance!) Unfortunately $60k is out of my price range, and even the T5 is getting borderline...

My dad has an S80T6, so I'm familiar with the interior quality of a Volvo. I sat in the G at the auto show and to me it seems like the poor man's attempt at luxury... and I've heard that psuedo-metallic trim scratches really easily (ie the one with the aero package). That gauge cluster also needs serious attention, perhaps some more computerized feedback a la Saab or BMW.

I also hear you about the performance of the G sedan, and definitely there can be mods to boost power to at least the coupe's level fairly easily, whereas the Volvo is already turboed (I should inquire about the reliability, but Volvo's have used turbos for a long time so I would think they are OK). Then again the Volvo's smaller displacement gives better mileage....argh so many points to consider, hehe

As for exterior looks, you're right about personal preference. But I like both cars for their outside looks. Of course I haven't actually driven either car yet, which when I do will probably swing my preference one way or the other.

I'm also awaiting public release of info for the 2004 G35, to see if there are any changes. I've heard vague rumours of AWD availability...

How is your G in the winter, given the RWD? Coming from a FWD sedan, that sorta scares me... I've also heard that the Infiniti doesnt have a limited slip differential (or this might be a ~$2k option)?

Old 07-01-2003 | 10:52 PM

I will definitely vote for S60T5. As a previous Volvo S40 owner, I know that Volvo always underestimate their car(My S40 has 150rwhp baseline on dyno [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]). And just upgrade the ECU, intake, and extaust, you can get 300hp from T5 without doubt.

About the reliability, I haven't experience any single problem with my 01 S40, even I did lots of mod on the car.

Here is the pic of my S40 [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]:

The reason I traded in the S40 to get the G35C is...........G35 Coupe is a COUPE [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2003 | 12:16 PM

i had a 98 S70 T5R........ it had 240 hp (i think). it was a good car and with a turbo u can feel the g force when it kicks in (although there is a lag) and dont forget its front wheel drive. the ride was good and the car was solid. as for handling, not the greatest even with 17's and z rated tires. overall i think the volvo is more of a family car with a peppy engine when needed and the g is more of a sports sedan that is more responsive and aggresive.
things i didnt like about the s70 was the fact i needed snow tires on a family car ($1600 which i still have so if u buy the volvo i can sell u them) also i think the car had some electical problems, i replaced 8-9 bulbs in less than 3 years...hmmm.
my 2 cents

03 G35 coupe SS (GD) 6spd everything but navi
02 QX4 pearl white
00 528 Silver on black

Old 07-02-2003 | 09:14 PM
|

I hear the 2001 Volvos had far better reliability than the 2000's, so I guess you lucked out, Saridi! My dad's 2001 S80 only has the occasional side bulb popping out...
But good call on the G35C, my gf's cousin has one and when he put his foot down it I think my stomach ended up in the trunk somewhere... I'm only 25 so a coupe would be styling but coming from a 4 door sedan (1994 Eagle Vision TSi) I think I would miss the practicality (e.g. for my hockey sticks and bag, the Canadian that I am).

Also being the Canadian I am, I would get winter tires for any car. That also brings up another concern, the Volvo surely performs better than the G Sedan in the snow, especially since the G doesn't have limited slip difff (only the coupe does). Does anyone with a sedan have some snow experience to tell me about?

Tabz, my fear of upgrades is that they would void the warranty(s)...but for sure I'd love a CAI and dual exhaust

Old 07-02-2003 | 11:37 PM

I also have the light bulb problem. I burnt 3 H7 low beam bulb in 3 months. Then I decided to get the aftermarket HID [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I didn't try my coupe in some deep snow yet, so I can't say it is a good snow car or not. And I would get winter tires for any car too....but I don't agree that FWD always better than a RWD in winter. In my case, my S40 was performed much worse than my BMW 323i. Probably is the Volvo didn't provide much information from the steering and make me hard to predict the vehicle's motion.