Canada Serving Canada.

Directional tires going in wrong direction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Directional tires going in wrong direction

A guy at work was admiring the G at lunch today and noticed both the tires on the driver's side had the directional arrow pointing in the wrong direction.
Those on the passanger's side are correct.
This could only have happened when the dealer ( Nissan ) re and re'd the winter for the rest of the year (orininal Pilots) tires. Probably 10 000 k's ago.
Any idea of what dammage was done to the tires/ rest of the car?
Is this even possible, or is it some hysterical hallucination brought on his suggestion? Am I falling for an optical illusion? Is he having a joke at my expense?
I planned on replacing them next spring anyways.
Should I be looking for any compensation?
Thanks
Sam
See ya on the 18th.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whatacar
A guy at work was admiring the G at lunch today and noticed both the tires on the driver's side had the directional arrow pointing in the wrong direction.
This could only have happened when the dealer ( Nissan ) re and re'd the winter for the rest of the year (orininal Pilots) tires. Probably 10 000 k's ago.
Is this even possible, or is it some hysterical hallucination brought on his suggestion? Am I falling for an optical illusion? Is he having a joke at my expense?
Thanks
Sam
See ya on the 18th.
You're so lucky...you're mileage will never go up. Just keep them like that... ........sorry I couldn't resist.

Kidding aside, I don't think you did any damage to the car but I'd be looking for uneven tire wear and I've heard but I don't know for sure, cars tend to pull to the right or left.

Have you noticed anything odd in the traction and steering?

Old 09-08-2005, 11:27 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks
Sam
See ya on the 18th.

Hey Sam, As you know, directional tires are meant to go only in 1 direction, and it has everything to do with tire construction and tread.
Having one side incorrectly mounted will affect handling even at speeds as slow as we O.F.'s drive.
If it were mine, I'd get that incorrect side remounted properly to optimize performance especially braking and wet traction.....

My guess is that when they rotated your rubber from side to side, they forgot to dismount the tires from the rims (on one side) , thus leaving the tires on that side rotating in the wrong direction.

Since you paid for it, I doubt whoever did it will mind correcting the oversight.
Since you won't need snows for another few months, I'd suggest you get the change done ASAP since we'll get considerably more wet weather btw now and the snow. (yikes - I said it. SNOW. OMG. )

As to damage to the car.....I doubt it, only damage could have been done to the 2 tires incorrctly rotating and by stressing the rubber and plies.
When you get the tires corrected, have them inspect for any damage. I doubt that there is tho.

Be safe.

See you on the 18th.

Colin.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:41 AM
Thanks for your comments Chico and Colin,
I'll take care of it asap.
Colin, I did notice there was a very slight pull to the right when breaking at speed.
Cyasoon
Sam

Old 09-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Sam, the dealer mounted them wrong????
- I know they probably don't hire the greatest talent for doing tires, but wow!!!!

Old 09-09-2005, 05:11 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
- I know they probably don't hire the greatest talent for doing tires, but wow!!!!

Yup, you'd think dealing with a Nissan org. that you'd get top notch service (after all it's about $100/hour).... but as they say: "Doo-doo happens"..and it pays to double check work done where you can.

Sam, it'll be interesting to see what they say about the issue?
I'm sure that you'd like to see them 'step up', and I hope they do, but be prepared for them to 'sluff it off' and find no damage to anything at all.

I'd suggest that you tell them that you're very worried about possible damage to the tires, and that due to the now weird braking characteristics, that you're very lucky not to have had an accident.
Give it to 'em good..........

C.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:47 PM
I called them today and was extra nice while explaing the problem.
They said, no problem, bring it in and we'll correct the mount.
When I asked if there might be any lasting damage to the car or the tires, the response was:
The only thing you may have noticed was a slight lack of control when it was raining. The treads are ment to go in one direction so they can get rid of the water faster.
They had had this same issue one time previously on some incorrectly mounted snow tires. Otherwise no lasting effect to either the tire or the car.
I will have them inspect the tires for uneven wear when they do the job right. Unless I get any info to the contrary I'll believe what they tell me. Well sort of anyways. Afterall it is a dealersh_t.
They'll do the deed on Thursday.
Sam

Old 09-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r

I have to agree Ian. That's pretty basic stuff for someone that mounts tires for a living.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I called them today and was extra nice while explaing the problem.
They said, no problem, bring it in and we'll correct the mount.
When I asked if there might be any lasting damage to the car or the tires, the response was:
The only thing you may have noticed was a slight lack of control when it was raining. The treads are ment to go in one direction so they can get rid of the water faster.
They had had this same issue one time previously on some incorrectly mounted snow tires. Otherwise no lasting effect to either the tire or the car.
I will have them inspect the tires for uneven wear when they do the job right. Unless I get any info to the contrary I'll believe what they tell me. Well sort of anyways. Afterall it is a dealersh_t.
They'll do the deed on Thursday.
Sam
Sam, when they do up the work order I'd make sure they document your complaint "CORRECT IMPROPER TIRE MOUNT FRONT AND REAR LEFT" or whatever the ones you have a concern with just in case.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Chico
Sam, when they do up the work order I'd make sure they document your complaint "CORRECT IMPROPER TIRE MOUNT FRONT AND REAR LEFT" or whatever the ones you have a concern with just in case.
I never would have thought of that Chico, thanks.
Sam

Old 09-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah - there won't be any damage to your car - you should be fine. i see tires mounted the wrong way a lot on the street - some people just don't know to check them!

Old 09-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
yeah - there won't be any damage to your car - you should be fine. i see tires mounted the wrong way a lot on the street - some people just don't know to check them!
Thanks for the reassurance Jason. Nice to know I'm not alone out there spinning my wheels in reverse ( just joking about the spinning wheels ) out there.
Sam

Old 09-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Sam, What dealer installed your tires incorrectly?
Wayne

Old 09-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Sam, What dealer installed your tires incorrectly?
Wayne
It was on of our local Nissan dealers Wayne.
They have been bery accommodating whenever I have delt with them.
Hey, we all make mistakes, luckily the error has not resulted in any damage to the car or me.
Sam

Old 09-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
It was on of our local Nissan dealers Wayne.
They have been bery accommodating whenever I have delt with them.
Hey, we all make mistakes, luckily the error has not resulted in any damage to the car or me.
Sam
Okay, thanks Sam, I'll see you on Saturday. ( I was curious cause if it was the Dealer I go to I was going to have a serious talk with them, but I don't want to rock the boat on you)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Directional tires going in wrong direction