Canada Serving Canada.

BEWARE OF THIN LAYERED PAINT!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2003 | 02:50 AM
|
BEWARE OF THIN LAYERED PAINT!

NISSAN/INFINITI PRODUCTION DECIDED TO CUT DOWN ON COSTS AND SAVE A LITTLE BIT OF MONEY BY PUTTING ON THINNER LAYERS OF PAINT ON THESE VEHICLES,ESPECIALLY THE COUPE. AND YOU WILL SOON NOTICE, IF U HAVENT HOW EASILY PAINT CHIPS OFF,ESPECIALLY ON THE LOW FRONT END OF THE VEHICLE. IM TELLING YOU NOW IF U DECIDE TO KEEP THIS CAR LONG TERM, INVEST IN BRAS NOW!

Old 08-28-2003 | 10:38 PM
Re: BEWARE OF THIN LAYERED PAINT!

I'm getting the "clear bra" installed tomorrow. I've only had the car since Tuesday so I hope there aren't any stone chips yet. I still have to drive it 40 minutes on the 401 to get to the installer, so I hope I don't get any on the way. He's doing the bumper, front fenders, rear fender bottoms, mirrors, door edges and posibly the lights so that they don't scratch.

Old 08-28-2003 | 10:52 PM

Sammy, can you let us know who's doing the installation and if the work is good? I'm also looking for a clearbra installer, in particular one that will do a custom install with the pieces wrap around the edges.

--
VWan.

2004 6MT - Red

Old 08-28-2003 | 11:06 PM

This installer does wrap the edges around the bumper so that you don't see any seams. Totally custom work, no precut kits. I will try and post pictures after it's done and answer any questions that you might have.

Old 08-29-2003 | 09:10 PM

Sammy, keep us updated on what u doin' on ur car...
and beside, how much you paying for the clear bra?

Old 08-30-2003 | 12:22 AM

I got the clear bra installed today and it looks awesome. So much better than having to put one of those black leather bras on. I had one of those on my last car and it scratched the paint where it covered the hood.

The guy that did my install is open to the idea of taking on extra business, so he doesn't mind me posting his name or any details that you need. He is one of the top installers in the Toronto area and has other partners around Ontario that do equally good work and has been doing it for many years. My install took about 4.5 hours and I took some pictures while he was doing it but I don't have time to post them right now. I will try and get them up tomorrow night.

Details: three piece hood, one piece bumper $600

I had him do extra for headlights, mirrors, rear fender behind tire and door edges for $700 + tax.

His name is Mark (phone 1-800-429-5967)
The product is 3M and the company is called "Chip Guard"

Old 08-30-2003 | 12:38 PM

Can't wait to see the pics; curious to find out how the edges are wrapped.

Anyhow, many thanks for the info.

2004 6MT - Red

Old 08-31-2003 | 11:42 PM

I finally took some pics of the clear bra but I'm not sure how to show you the results because in some cases you can't really see where it is installed. The bumper was a completed with one piece of film so it is really hard to see the seams. He made it go under the edges of the headlight and he removed the grill so that the clear bra would go under the grill.

Here as some pictures. Just let me know if anybody wants any other pictures taken.

96697-G35Coupe_15.jpg

Old 08-31-2003 | 11:43 PM

Rear fender

96699-G35Coupe_13.jpg

Old 08-31-2003 | 11:44 PM

Door edge

96700-G35Coupe_14.jpg

Old 09-05-2003 | 03:37 AM
Sorry for the rant, but I had to speak up!

Hey SammyJL,

You got the info on the installer from my buddy Paul Chan @ Macro Auto Group, 905-7600800 ex. 305, from a post I posted a while ago, right after I got mine done and I loved it. He's my bud and he did a great job and I thought the forum would appreciate it so I passed on the info and have him make sure that anyone from this forum will get the exact price I got. He deals mainly in exotics like Cobra replicas and such, so I know the quality is good. Also because he deals in volume that's why he can get us a good price for the type of work.
Anyway, I have a beef w you. How come you come off as such a big shot like you found the guy yourself directly? And on top of it, u r trying to cut my buddy out a piece, be it a small one, of the business.
I wasn't going to post anything because I spoke w Paul and he told me that he had spoken w u and u were going to post a followup a few days ago. He's the nicest guy I know, too nice I think to survive in this business. He didn't ask me to post anything, but when something so blantant and unfair happens, I can't help myself. Especially after you told him expicitly that you will post a followup!
I'm sure that he will be willing to offer the same price you posted to the group ( he won't make a dime, but he will at least get the deserved credit and a better working relationship w the installer ).
One more thing, my buddy Paul also got my coupe for me for under MSRP back in March! And I paid in full by cash, so the dealers didn't work over me on any financing or in another way. I urge anyone in the group to give him a call, he'll for sure work the best deal for you, and if he can't, he won't pressure sell you.
I'm not in anyway benefitting from this, but I just had to say something. Do post back if I in any way misstated anything at all.

g35c, bs, 5at, prem.

Old 09-05-2003 | 11:43 AM
Re: Sorry for the rant, but I had to speak up!

Talk about beefs, what the hell are you talking about. You're right I did initially find Paul's number on this site, who in turn gave me the installer's number, but I also got the installer's number directly from the dealer where I bought my car. As for posting a followup, I tried to edit the original post to remove the pricing that Paul was so concerned about, but it wouldn't let me. The installer gave me explicit permision to post pictures and any information that I wanted to help him get more exposure and more business. I had no idea that Paul was taking money off the top because he makes a phone call to the installer. I was just trying to provide the details to the people of this forum who were asking me for them and if I stepped on anybodies toes in the process, I apologize for that, but why should I have to lie or keep secret about the price I was charged to do the install. Doesn't everybody have a right to know?

Old 09-05-2003 | 01:09 PM

U r right, everyone has the right to know about the price and place u got it from.
There seems to be a misunderstanding. You got the special price BECAUSE of Paul. Had you gone to the installer, Mark, directly or through your dealer, the price would have been different.
I was ranting mainly because you didn't post a followup after u said u would. That I "felt" was intentional (didn't know u tried, but u could've posted a followup), unlike the initial post in which I never spoke up because I know that u were trying to get good deals for the group. I have no problems w that. I posted Paul's info for the exact same reason. Also that's why I didn't directly post Mark's info as well.
I appreciate your post and since the facts are out in the open, w the same price being offered to the group from Paul, I have no beef w you.
BTW, Paul does NOT take money off the top at the prices u got (cause they are the same ones I got), but he will get little extras thrown in for his Cobras and other cars.

g35c, bs, 5at, prem.

Old 09-05-2003 | 01:31 PM

This has been a huge misunderstanding. I guess I didn't understand what Paul had wanted me to do. We had originally talked about removing the pricing from the post and when I couldn't, I just left it alone. I didn't really know what to do after that since I couldn't edit the post.

I think the lesson that I've learned is not to provide too much detail in the forum and only offer it if someone PM's me.

By the way, do you really think that the price would have been all that different? I had Mark do alot of extra pieces for this install and I think that he would have still given me a discount for all of the extra work that I had him do, and another thing, I would have paid whatever Mark wanted to get his professionally installed "Chip Guard". It was worth every penny.

Old 09-12-2003 | 12:35 PM

Did you have to do anything special in terms of cleaning the car first? Or did the installer clean it thoroughly before application?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BEWARE OF THIN LAYERED PAINT!