Canada Serving Canada.

The Silverstone Dilemna

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 03:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Silverstone Dilemna

I am close to picking up my 2004 Silverstone 6MT Coupe and even though this car is gong to rock...deep inside I yearn for it to be Obsidian Black. That was my initial colour when I ordered because black to me is superior to all others...when it's clean(how many times have we hear that one). I changed it 3 weeks ago and the dealer was nice enough to locate it and trade for one. The SS was also a fave of mine - darker than silver and more forgiving than black. Hot colour. Maybe too hot...a lot of cars driving around in that shade these days. My last two cars were black(2000 Jetta GLX and 1996 Acura Integra GSR) so at first I didn't give it a second thought...then I remembered how much work it was for me to keep my subtlely-tricked out VW and Acura clean through those years. My wife who is also a car fanatic and black cars-supporter told me the SS might look a bit dull if dirty and stick with the black. But times have changed - I'm hitting my mid-thirties now, married with two kids and a busy work sked...I would not possibly be able to manage the time to care for this car like I did the others. The thought of driving around in a dirty black G all the time depressed me. Maybe I needed a change. White? Beeeuuuitful-no doubt. Eye-turner for sure. If I was a 23 year-old snot-nosed kid, I could pull it off. However, I don't want to look so "BLING". It's not what I am...next...Red...Sahweet! But, again. screams "Look at me!" and that just ain't me. Blue - I like it a lot...my wife doesn't and says I'd get bored of it after a year and a half. She may be right. Silver - my wife's car is a brilliant silver so can't do that. The desert platinum was also no good for me. I was never a fan of cars in that shade. Too wishy-washy. Something my dad could better appreciate. So in the end it had to be Silverstone. It looks sharp but isn't in-your-face, tough but not arrogant, dark but yet suprisingly bright and metallic. And I realize there's gonna be a ton of 'em out there(well not a ton - there aren't that many G coupes to begin with) but for all the reasons I mentioned and the way my lifestyle has shifted - it was ultimately the only choice. I just can;t help to think that when I see a sparkling black one on the road - part of me will wish I went that routr.
Sorry for the long spiel - just wanted to share my reasons for choosing the popular SS.

Old 08-28-2003, 06:28 AM
Re: The Silverstone Dilemna

I had the SS on order and changed to black.

Not to make it harder, but it is fairly easy to keep clean. If you Zaino the car enough, a good spray wash blasts dirt off easily enough for it to shine nicely.

A real good clean is good once in a while for it, but the Zaino seems to repel the dirt nicely and the paint is soooo black it doesn't look faded or washed out.

Dont get me wrong a SS will hide the dirt more, but the black when dirty doesn't really look that bad at all, as I am sure you know from owning a few.

Take care

Old 08-28-2003, 07:38 AM

My last car was black and regretted it the whole time. It only looks good for a day until dusty. 2 cars ago I had silver and was great. I'm getting an M6 coupe brilliant silver and although I do agree the black looks awesome, I know will have no regrets when my silver is shiny all the time.

Old 08-28-2003, 11:51 PM

Hum, how about the new TB? it looks so sexy!

Anywayz, i faced the same situation as you do rather to pick SS or Black... at first i was gonna get the black, it looks so classy when it's clean! And then i went to the dealership i saw the SS, which looks really good to me too, and by that time not a lot of vehicle has that color... so i changed my mind and ordered a SS coupe, two month later i went into the dealership again, and they told me my shipment was delayed, so i was really pissed off and wanted to cancel my order, the sales manager then offer me a black coupe which is in stock because some other guy cancel the order because he wants navi; i almost say yes because i love black a lot and wanted my G so badly by that time! But after my parents and friends told me that how lazy i am that i never washed my previous two cars, i decided to wait for my SS coupe for another month... Even now i still can't decide which color is better... But if i get the other chance to pick my G now, more likely i'd go for the TB...

Old 08-29-2003, 07:49 PM

twilight blue is just as hard to keep clean as a black car

Old 08-31-2003, 05:44 PM

Buddy, I hear you loud and clear. I had just gone to Infiniti about 2 weeks ago to put a deposit on a black coupe. I chose black because I find that it is definitely the sportiest color for the car. Then after thinking about it, and discussing it with the wife, we felt that black would be a bitch to maintain throughout the year. I know because I too have a Jetta VR6 in black, and when it's dirty, it looks blah. One other important thing I noticed, as sporty and sharp as black looks, it doesn't have depth, lacks that richness and sparkle to it. When I saw the SS in person, that was it, that was the color. So I changed my order.

Now I have to be careful, because there is only 1 SS with Navi & Performance in 5AT in all of Canada right now. They can ship it over here to Quebec, but I have to promise them I will take it for sure (I am currently trying to sell my 300ZX SMZ as a deposit). They don't want to be stuck with a Navi equipped car cause it's harder to sell for some reason.

So if any of you see an SS with Navi in 5AT, don't touch it, it's mine. As for the color, SS is the best of all worlds, darker than the Silver which I find is a little too classy, yet more manageable than the black, plus the added depth that most colors do not have.

Good choice for going SS!!!

Neil

Old 09-02-2003, 03:15 PM

I bought the Capri blue and haven't regretted it at all. I love the fact that the coloru changes depending if it's dark/light and I get lots of comments about how good the blue looks compared to the typical silver/black G35 coupes out there.

Of course I was lucky enough to get the willow interior too. It's been so hot here in Alberta I wouldn't even want to be riding around in a black interior.

Garry

Old 09-02-2003, 06:45 PM

Like I said - I'm a fan of the blue too...my wife ain't. What can I say - I would love the blue if I could somehow switch it to another colour - the day it gets old to me. But since I plan to keep the car - I want something that I know will still be desired down the line. Also - tan interiors I can't do. They look nice and all but not really my style...I've had black interiors in most of my car and don't really notice any heat surge - in particular - the tan dash and stuff is kinda non-sporty looking to me. just my opinion.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:52 PM

wel, i'd said SS is a great color, other than the fact that too many SS coupe on the street, not rare anymore (same as black)...
Just considering style (without having to think about keeping it clean), I would say i like TB the most, then White, then Black and SS (still can't choose between this two), then Brilliant Silver > Red > CB > DP (this color is just too old for my age)
I also notice one thing, the more you see a white coupe, the more you like that color! (good color to mod, too)

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by neohh on 09/02/03 08:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-03-2003, 07:35 PM

I understand the SS is the popular one to get but I really don't see that many G35 coupes to begin with so I don't really feel like it's all over the place or anything...just happy to be getting one at all. I totally agree on the white coupe - the sweetest of them all - but I'm not Jay-Z - so I just can't do it.

Old 09-12-2003, 01:35 AM

Been driving my 2004 6MT for a week now and loving it! I see the black coupes now and then and think they look great but when I realize that my Silverstone is a week from it's last wash and still looking fresh...I quickly forget the black one and it's swirly reflections from the sun. Ahhhhh! I'm glad to be an official member now!

Old 09-12-2003, 08:40 AM

just because your swirly marks are hidden, doesn't mean the black ones aren't too, lotsa wax and proper care will do that.

But, dont kid yourself, the black may be "harder to STAY" clean, but the shine is still the greatest.

have fun, and when I see a DG I say, nice, shoulda got it on a sunny day, in the shade, I say, hmmm there's another G.

I dunno. ehhehehe

Old 09-13-2003, 10:18 AM

I really do think black is the best colour but with my a family and crazy work sked it would be unfair to the car if I chose black - because I really wouldn't be able to take care of it properly. I should know...my last two cars were black and I treated them like babies. They looked great but for a perfectionist like me ...that takes time, effort and lotsa wax. I see some neglected black Gs out there and I realy didn't want mine to look like that. Another reason I didn't go black with the G is because I wanted this car to be different than the last two black cars I owned. With a new colour, I could actually appreciate the fact that it was completely new and different. That's all...