UMPC as a semi-perm CarPC Solution (Suggestions Welcomed)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UMPC as a semi-perm CarPC Solution (Suggestions Welcomed)

First of all, great forum! I just discovered it earlier this week. But I wasn't sure if I should post my question here or at MP3Car.com, as I see the CarPC Subforum here is not as active. But since I know I'll find more people that are familiar with the G35 electronics and stock stereo system, I figured I'd start a thread here first.

Well, as my title clearly states, I decided to go the cheap* and easy (or more like, lazy) route for my CarPC and just bought me the Viliv S5 on Monday after checking out many reviews, unboxings and etc. Actually, what really happened is the more I read about it, the more I wanted it. And to make sure I would make use of it and justify it's purchase (which I do with all my gadgets), I decided I would make it my dedicated [but not exclusive] CarPC.

That's where I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions. Ideally, I would like to be able to mount it securely somewhere on my dash, and quickly connect it to my G35's stock Bose stereo and still be able to connect other devices to it, like my phone, iPod, or external HD or DVD-ROM drive, or etc. I was thinking somewhere in between how this guy did it here:

and how this guy connected it and uses it here:
http://www.streetdeck.com/default.aspx?PostID=38

I know that the first step is to buy an AUX Input adapter and RCA-to-3.5mm audio jack cable...

But, is there anything else you can think of and any other suggestions?
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by D1zzl3; 04-30-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know much about the Viliv S5 but audio is pretty much all you need to worry about. Assuming the Viliv S5 has everything else inside like gps, radio or whatever else you might need.

I personally like how the top picture on your post looks like with the unit in that little bin thing. because if you put it there youll have an easier path to connect your audio and power without wires all over the place. It also doesnt block your driving visibility.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:57 AM
crap, now I want one too.. they look hard to come by.

how is the sunlight readability?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by the1cyrus
I personally like how the top picture on your post looks like with the unit in that little bin thing. because if you put it there youll have an easier path to connect your audio and power without wires all over the place. It also doesnt block your driving visibility.
Yeah, that's I'm planning on. I want to set the cables up so that when I mount the PC I just plug in two cables and get going in less than 2 minutes (it comes out of sleep and into StreetDeck in about a min, btw). Kinda like how long it would take to get going after putting the stereo face plates in your car. Maybe PAC's unit is all I'll need and some custom wiring...

Originally Posted by TimW
crap, now I want one too.. they look hard to come by.

how is the sunlight readability?
Good question. I haven't tried that yet. The reviews say it's pretty bad, however. But fortunately, I really don't have to worry about it that much. It will be mostly indoors or incar (if that's even a word). Hence why I can't tell you what it's like yet.