Android Tablet In Dash???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Android Tablet In Dash???

(I moved this thread over here from the "2003-2006 Sedan General Discussion")

Hello!

So I am still a pretty new member here at G35Driver and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I have looked at other forums across the internet about my topic, but none of it was much help.

Basically, as my title states, I am looking to install a 7" Android tablet in to my dash. I have seen different windshield and cup holder mounts across the web, but from all the reviews I read it seems to be very unstable. Plus I wanted to have the luxury of having it in fitted in to my dash, thus reducing the risk of it being an easy target for a thief.

I like the idea of having an Android tablet because of all it has to offer. I currently have a rooted Droid Incredible 2 running ICS. I can tether my phones 3G connection (I have an unlimited data plan) and GPS to whichever 7" tablet I choose (a 10" just seems to big and is more expensive). This will allow me to use Google Maps as my navigation system, Google Music as my audio player, YouTube for videos, Torque for my OBD2 reader, any equalizer app on the Android Market, a SlingBox app to watch my cable TV when I am parked waiting in my car, and the possibilities go on....

Before getting my G35, I was driving a Ford Taurus. This means I had no interest in setting up a nice car audio setup, thus I have no prior car audio experience. Let me start off with asking a few questions:

1. Will a 7" tablet fit easily in to any 7" double din, or will I be needing to preform some custom modifications to it?

2. How will I get my audio hooked up to the tablet? Do I just need to purchase an amp that has a 3.5mm output and run that to my tablet? If so, how can I do this without any cords showing, since the input on most tablets is located on top of the device? (sorry that was three questions condensed into one)

3. How will I be able to get power to my device? I know most, if not all, tablets use USB 2.0 to charge the device. I do have a USB charger plugged in to my cigarette lighter, but I do not want to have to run a cord from that charger to the device.

4. I have been wanting to get rid of my dreaded wood interior trim. I am assuming that I will be needing to remove it when inserting a double din. Would it be easier to switch the interior trim while I am doing this audio project, or is switching the trim a pretty easy project by itself?

I am sure I will come across many more questions throughout this project. If any kind soul has some helpful advice, it will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
you will have to make a custom dash to accommodate the tablets connections

The power cord and audio are your biggest issues as far as fitment..
You maybe able to find a 3.55MM to RCA with a 90º on the headphone side.
The power cord is usually some what bulky so that would be the biggest issue.

Another thing is that you need to send the signal to at least one amp. You could do the 3.5 to RCA or maybe some kinda bluetooth device in between the tablet and the amp.

You have a lot of space behind the dash for everything you will need.

The hard part is going to be making a custom dash as I dont think the metra kit or JDM kit will help you much seeing as you need to connect power and audio cables to the side of the tablet

Old 03-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah you're def going to need to find an installer to help out, unless you're familiar with fiberglass and bondo. I hope you have a lot of time on your hands...

There are plenty of tutorials on the net on fiberglass and bondo if you're handy, its worth learning.

as far as getting sound to your amps, you really just need to convert the 3.5mm headphone out to RCA...If you're going aftermarket I'd suggest a signal processor as well (Audiocontrol, etc) before the amps

are most of the connections on the tab on the same side? the easiest way Id think would be to create a dock that the tab slides into, that way you could remove it from the car for security and versatility. They've done this with ipads, Ive seen, you should check them out

Old 05-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
another problem with trying to install it in a double din is that power plugs and headphone jacks are all on the sides of the tablet so there is no easy way to fit it into the din. another thing to consider is that when tablets say 7" it is only screen size, you have to consider the size of the bezel which usually adds an inch or 2 all around. My G doesn't have the GPS Nav so I mounted mine there. I should have done a DIY but i wasn't thinking about it at the time.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
day time pics?

Install equipment used?

Old 05-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Used an iSimple which I already had installed because my car does not have an auxilary port and the iSimple made it possible. then i took a cigarette lighter socket adapter and spliced the power from the regular cigarette lighter on the back side. i wired the cable up the the compartment where the nav usually sits. since i dont have a nav it was just storage. i drilled a hole in the side and pushed the socket adapter. then i got a ac power inverter and plugged it into the socket i just wired into the nav compartment to charge the tablet and plugged in the 3.5mm plug from the iSimple for auxilary.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Old 06-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Currently working on installing a galaxy tab2 7 inch tablet in a 05+ double din. Yes you will need to dremel out a lot of the dash to get it to fit but it's not as bad as one might think. I plan on making a build thread once I have everything together but here's a quick pic of mine so far.

Android Tablet In Dash???-aijsz.jpg

The following users liked this post:
Dr. Ephil (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 05:28 PM
how you gonna get it to charge and play sounds?

Old 06-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Charging cable and headphone jack will fit with a little trimming of the dash peices around the double din. Will install female cigarette lighter socket in glove box and have a usb charge port there for the tablet. This will also allow me to unplug the usb cable and plug it into a laptop if I ever need to to.

Audio I'm still working on. I have the PAC ROEMNIS2 and went from headphone jack to rca and spliced into the audio cables from adapter and volume is then controlled by the tablet alone. Problem is the sound levels were very quiet. Now I'm looking into a preamp or might just bypass the bose all together and go with an aftermarket amp.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:41 PM
i guess you lose radio and cd functionality tho right?

Old 06-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
Looks pretty good. Maybe you can make a video on the sound?

Old 06-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by viceversa
Currently working on installing a galaxy tab2 7 inch tablet in a 05+ double din. Yes you will need to dremel out a lot of the dash to get it to fit but it's not as bad as one might think. I plan on making a build thread once I have everything together but here's a quick pic of mine so far.

I've actually started considering one of those exact 7" tabs for a future install, but I want it removable and 3G-enabled for streaming audio. I figure that if it's inset in the dash a bit instead of nearly-flush like yours, it will help prevent glare as well as providing more room to the sides for connections for power/audio.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by viceversa

that looks awesome! keep up the work and please make a write up when u finish, I plan to do one as well.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sbscrbd

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Android Tablet In Dash???