G35 Coupe Carputer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It's actually the ir receiver for the DW screen that is in the ac/temp display. The pac unit is connected behind the head unit and is hidden under my cabin air filter box for easy access to the swi-x.

Old 12-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh, yeah my bad. I said the wrong thing, and was thinking something different. Pac audio makes an IR repeater (like an IR extender) that you mount an IR receiver in view of your remote, and it transmits the IR signal to a hidden device (like DVD in glove box). That is what i was thinking of mounting like your DW IR receiver in that spot and just wondered how you did it. I was looking at the swi-x the other day thinking about maybe doing that instead, or maybe both so I don't lose my DVD player remote all together when the glovebox is closed up. I'm not sure if the swi-x will work too well with a DVD player and all though, plus the options on the dvd remote will obviously be more complete hense why i was thinking more of the IR extender route.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:17 AM
As far as mounting it, check the install instructions on the dw website...full write up with pics. It's basically taking out the ac display, taking off the amber cover, taping or hot gluing the ir receiver and cutting out a bit of plastic from the amber housing to allow the wire to pass....other than that it's routing the wire to where you need it and re-install the parts back. The swi-x could be programed for a few basic functions, otherwise use an ir extender or just flip the lid on the dvd compartment.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:08 AM
sweet, thanks gizsf I'll hopefully go the IR route. Leaving the glovebox open = too ghetto, and would suck for the passenger leg room.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Are you putting the dvd player in the lower glove box or the upper one?

Old 12-13-2005, 11:08 AM
lower...i have OEM navi in the upper.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:54 AM
I just started ordering the parts I need to build my next carputer. This one is going to be quite different and will be designed to be somewhat visible with a show look. I will post updates with pictures, part lists and their costs.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
oh damn can't wait

Old 01-18-2006, 04:28 PM
gizsf, can you go into more detail how the swi-x works in your system?

i'm guessing the pac aai-nis hooks up between the bose harness and your carputer's MB audio jacks, and the swi-x hooks up to the pac aai-nis, but i don't quite understand how your steering wheel controls are being interpreted by your carputer.

do you have a IR receiver hooked up to your carputer that decodes the signals outputted by the swi-x? how are you doing this (hardware, software)?

i'm interested in seeing which would be easier, god_of_cpu's hack with the joystick, which retains the use of steering wheel controls with the factory radio, or maybe getting the swi-v.

great post by the way.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by gizsf
I just started ordering the parts I need to build my next carputer. This one is going to be quite different and will be designed to be somewhat visible with a show look. I will post updates with pictures, part lists and their costs.
Wanna sell me your existing one?

Old 01-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by kappa1281
gizsf, can you go into more detail how the swi-x works in your system?

i'm guessing the pac aai-nis hooks up between the bose harness and your carputer's MB audio jacks, and the swi-x hooks up to the pac aai-nis, but i don't quite understand how your steering wheel controls are being interpreted by your carputer.
do you have a IR receiver hooked up to your carputer that decodes the signals outputted by the swi-x? how are you doing this (hardware, software)?
i'm interested in seeing which would be easier, god_of_cpu's hack with the joystick, which retains the use of steering wheel controls with the factory radio, or maybe getting the swi-v.
great post by the way.
Thanks....the computer does have a usb ir sensor on it for the hardware and girder for the software. I have been lazy lately and did not redo my girder app when I reformatted my drive and added new software. I am actually waiting for the new centrafuse 1.6 software to come out since it won't require me to use girder and spend all that time programming it. I haven't read up on the swi-v so I can't say anything about it. I went with the swi-x just because I didn't want to add that much more work ont op of what I was already doing....again...a little lazy.

Boris....I had a feeling you would be the first to ask me that question

Last edited by gizsf; 04-25-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:35 AM
Arrow

I'm finally at it again. I'm building my 2nd carputer now. I started a new thread that will show the progress of the new project. Link is a bit lower.

Last edited by gizsf; 04-25-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:06 AM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/6c82/
for all you carputer builders
this might be cool/useful as a keyboard

Old 02-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Pretty cool, I like it. You can also use some of the pda bluetooth keyboards out there and they are a full qwerty and tiny. They also cost about 1/2 the price. I myself just use a little usb one that I plug in only for doing maintenece or updates. The touchsreen works wonders for everyday use.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
wow that ish is dopo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Coupe Carputer