Mounting CarPC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting CarPC

Hey guys,

I have a 05 6MT Sedan. I am trying to figure out the best way to mount my Car PC. I have a Micro-ATX board, laptop drive, Opus 150W PS. I was thinking of doing something like this:

The problem is I have never tried fiberglassing and don't think I want to try on the G. I also thought about making my own case but I am not sure I would design and build it well.

Goals for mounting:

1. No cutting or putting holes in car.
2. Removeable
3. Handle hot summers. The heat index can get as high as 105 in the summer here.
4. Sturdy

Anyone have ideas? I have most of my parts and once the Digital-Wheelz mount and LCD is released the only thing holding me back will be the case/mount.

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm using this case:

http://www.mp3car.com/store/images/case/opus.gif

which fits perfectly under the rear deck. Only thing I have to do other than attach it to the deck is figure out what I want to do about a trunk light (as the case would cover it).

Old 11-16-2005, 10:30 AM
I've seen another install on the boards somewhere with it under the seat. I doubt that mp3car case would fit, but mini-atx board should. I looked around in the trunk, and there are some empty spaces underneath the trunk liner on the sides of the spare tire...that is probably where I would try, because it seems easier than removing a seat, but you're limited in space. But nice thing is, if you fit all your stuff in the gaps down in the trunk floor (kinda like the jack/tools are, but on the other side mostly) it would be consealed and completely hidden. Keep us posted on what you do

Old 11-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by klwoods
I've seen another install on the boards somewhere with it under the seat. I doubt that mp3car case would fit, but mini-atx board should. I looked around in the trunk, and there are some empty spaces underneath the trunk liner on the sides of the spare tire...that is probably where I would try, because it seems easier than removing a seat, but you're limited in space. But nice thing is, if you fit all your stuff in the gaps down in the trunk floor (kinda like the jack/tools are, but on the other side mostly) it would be consealed and completely hidden. Keep us posted on what you do
I agree. If you do not need any PCI slots avialable, you can get very small cases and could almost definately fit a PC under the black plastic trunk flooring stuff to either side of the spare tire.

Putting it here would also give it better protection - just be mindful of airflow/temps.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:18 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a regular anthlon mobile in a micro-ATX and got progressively more stability issues on hot days even with a very high speed fan. I used an anthlon mobile processor with much greater success, but it still had some issues after being on for 2+ hours in summer heat. Both were more or less just thrown in the trunk and held in place with velcro. In my own experience, I found that pentium M and VIAs do the best in high ambient temperatures, but you still do need to make sure they are adequaltly ventilated, particularly if you are doing CPU or GPU intensive stuff.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:14 PM
That picture is actually my original install
I had that for about 2 weeks and then I changed it to this:

My main reason for switching was to not create so much RF interference especially near the radio antenna. I lost all radio reception with the motherboard how you see it in the fiberglass. The new case also tucks away out of sight so I can use the full trunk space if needed
The case is custom but nothing fancy, just sheet aluminum made to accomodate an Epia board, 2.5" hard drive and a 90W Opus
Theres a stock stud pattern underneath where you see the case sitting so I cut holes in the appropriate places to fit these studs and that secures the case from movement

Last edited by dwoloz; 11-17-2005 at 01:17 PM.