Screen Glare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screen Glare

Hey guys,

I have the Digtalwheelz screen. I am very pleased with it except for the glare when the sun is out. The trim peices make problems worse since they are so reflective. Have any of you found a way to reduce this problem?

I was thinking about getting tint put on which I know would help somewhat.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do know that Xenarc makes some with some sort of antiglare coating. Perhaps you could fire them an email and see if there is an addon film or spray that would accomplish this.

But I too am seriously considering tint- one for a little extra securtiy, two for the hot summers, and three for the screen.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:46 PM
I checked on Xenarc's website and apparently the antiglare coating is listed on the product details for the screen...I guess this means that it's already on the screen.

I've had my pc running for almost 2 weeks now and I have only two problems/dislikes:
1- screen glare
2- RFI interference with FM radio

BTW it looks like there is a thread going on mp3car where they are trying to get some sort of 3m film that might help with the glare/screen brightness issues. Maybe this will pan out.

On another note, I was thinking about adding a little mod to the screen housing to make the actual lcd a little more recessed. I've noticed that most oem screens are mounted this way and seem to help with the glare.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Might not be a bad idea. The glare is my only problem as well. Sometimes during the day, I can't see the screen at all due to the glare. Kind of sucks.

On the other hand, since I now have my playlists set up, I don't have to do much with the screen unless I am doing something else...

Dave

Old 04-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Well it looks like Xenarc won't be much help. Here's the response I just got:

Thank you for choosing our products. Unfortunately, the touch panel does produce glare. I have heard of some tinting the touch panel before and it does help, but by taking the monitor apart, you do void your warranty. Usually, the mounting location of the monitor affects the glare considerably. I would recommend mounting it in a location that may not receive significant direct sunlight. It’s also important to be sure that you have your brightness and backlight setting turned as high as possible without washing the screen out. Thanks.

Looks like we are going to have to put our heads together for this one.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If that was the case, wouldn't we all have voided warranties? Considering our screens aren't exactly in the stock housing...

Old 04-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
We are warranteed through www.digitalwheelz.com, an authorized Xenarc dealer. Check with Chuck re: warranty issue.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:45 PM
You know, most of the glare comes from the front window, and since you can't tint your front window in many states, tinting won't help much.

A better idea I had is some kind of shade, like a hood or something. I wonder if you could rig something up that would shade it while the screen is out, and would also fit inside the housing when the screen is back in the cubby...

Dave

Old 04-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by caelric
A better idea I had is some kind of shade, like a hood or something. I wonder if you could rig something up that would shade it while the screen is out, and would also fit inside the housing when the screen is back in the cubby...
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Kind of like the whole recessed screen idea.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
The problem is reflection off of the seats also. Those of you with black seats and dark tint should be in good shape.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Nope.

Black interior. Black exterior.

Tint.

Good theory, but no.

Dave

Old 04-19-2006, 01:50 AM
^^^same here

Old 04-19-2006, 02:09 AM
Yes it sucks, especially sun reflections of passenger willow seat, and 330 cd/m² just can’t compete with it. Xenarc used to have CCFL upgrade but I don’t know if it’s worth the price. Wonder if anything came out of that long backlight thread on mp3 forum?

Sometimes is so bad that removing climate control and recessing monitor comes to mind.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:04 PM
The touchscreen glass layer creates the most glare and I can absolutely agree, its horrible

I've sworn off touchscreens now. Not only are they less convenient to use while driving than buttons but they add all that glare

Old 10-17-2006, 03:37 PM
You can check hoodman.com and look and see if their largest hood will fit your screen. Petrol maeks them for 7" 16:9 LCDs, but they are a bit pricey @ $50

Of course you can make one out of cardboard, and put contact paper or wallpaper on it so it doesn't look like cardboard :-)

Brain21

Originally Posted by caelric
You know, most of the glare comes from the front window, and since you can't tint your front window in many states, tinting won't help much.

Dave

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Screen Glare