Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Arghhh Stupid Detailers.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arghhh Stupid Detailers.

Ok so i decided to get my black on black G35 Coupe Detailed and there is a hand car wash in Valencia, CA. That I had been going to and he did a good job, (I was able to even leave money in my car without it getting stolen). So I decided to buy a complete detail package from him, except he used electric buffers on the paint, now my clear coat has swirl marks all over it. WTF do I do, i have brought i back again, and he got some of the swirl marks out but they are still all over the paint and my 05 coupe looks like it's been on the road for 7 years. Somebody please helo me, what can I do to fix the clear coat. thanks.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take your G to a more professional detailer and have him polish out the swirlmarks and add a couple layers of quality wax. Black cars are the hardest to keep clean and swirl-mark free. Spiderwebbing is nearly impossible to prevent on a dark car.
Btw, when I lived in Cali I found that the best detailers are the ones that come to your house/work and do the detailing there w/ their own truck, tank, and materials

Last edited by jonnylaw; 07-06-2006 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:58 PM
English dude, English
Get your money back and take it to someone else. They should be able to remove the swirl marks out of it. The guy probably ran the buffing machine too fast or it got to hot because of a lack of compound. BTW, how much was it???

Old 07-06-2006, 07:04 PM
it cost me 120$ for a full car detail. Inside and out.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
lol obviously he's not professional....

Old 07-06-2006, 07:14 PM
English dude, English
Originally Posted by cscirpoli
it cost me 120$ for a full car detail. Inside and out.
Yeah, that sounds rather inexpensive for a full detail. I just spent about $110 for for the outside to be detailed and that didn't even include a buff. But I would definately get your money back.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:36 PM
The guy probably doesn't know how to use a orbital buffer and put holograms all over your car. Get yourself a Porter Cable 7424 and pads to get rid of the defects.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
the best detailers are the ones that come to your house/work and do the detailing there w/ their own truck, tank, and materials

I never liked those mobile detailers. They never have all the equipment that the shop detailers have. Also working in 90 degree weather under a tent doesn't compare to working in a nice cool garage with the a/c going. Fast work equals sloppy job.

For example, I also got my black on black coupe detailed yesterday. Stupid painters overshot the area causing millions of white dots all over my car. Took it to my detailers. They charge $99 for exterior, interior, buff, polish and seal but i decided to go with the custom detail for $129 which including all of above plus claybar and engine detail. He charged an extra $50 for the white paint. End result...flawless! No swirls and no more hairline scratches.

Definitely take it back to the detailer and tell him you're not satisfied with the job. Hey you spent $120 for what, something you could do yourself?

Old 07-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Fast work does equal a sloppy job, but that doesn't make mobile detailers bad. I've been mobile detailing for almost 10 years now and I'd put my work up against anyone in the country. It's more important to evaluate a detailer based on their past jobs and referals rather than whether they own a storefront.

The problem in this thread is that the OP got an "Express Detail" from someone who obviously didn't know what they were doing. Under $150 for a full detail (wash, clay, machine polish, seal/wax, dressings, etc...) is a bargain, and as such it usually implies (depending on the area you live in) that the detailer is 1) inexperienced, 2) new in the area, 3) using inexpensive products, 4) hurrying...you get the idea. A full exterior detail from a reputable detailer will normally run you anywhere from $250-$600. In this case I'd be hesitant to take it back since the paint-work may actually get worse.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:27 PM
ide ask for your money back or ask them to pay for a real detail job..

Old 07-07-2006, 09:33 AM
I've seen enough experiences like this to make me go out and invest in doing the detailing myself. Yeah it takes a full day 2 times out of the year, but its worth it. Esp. since you have a black coupe, I don't get the mirror look on my IP coupe but just love the fact that I control how it gets treated, what gets put on it and now it only takes me about 20 minutes to put down a coat of wax after a wash.

Starting up ain't cheap but if you get your car detailed often enough it pays for itself in a year.