Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Bird droppings and etching?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bird droppings and etching?

Hey guys and gals-

New here, but not new to detailing. I got a 07 black G and I have done the whole clay, polish, AIO, Glaze and PS-21 and also one Grand Blitz wax a couple of coats. When a bird craps on my car I get it off as soon as possible. Is this paint that soft that having the car protected it will still eat right though the wax and polish in less that a day? I am new to Infiniti, but have owned Maxima's and never had this kind of issue. I will check when my car was made, but I would think the paint would have cured by now. Any help on product that have been used to stop the etching?? My Porter Cable 7424 with yellow pad and #83 dual action polish cleaner will not take it out.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
depends on wat the bird ate, really.

but i would not leave bird crap on the car more than 1 day. i remove it
just as soon as i can.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
depends on wat the bird ate, really.

but i would not leave bird crap on the car more than 1 day. i remove it
just as soon as i can.
Exactly. I was at the beach last weekend & got a bunch of saegull droppings on my car. I got it all off the next morning. There was one spot that etched my paint & it looked like the bird had eaten something that did not agree with him. I say get it off as soon as you see it. Especially if it looks extra nasty.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:40 PM
I happen to have an 03 Black Vette also. I have had a few deposits etch my paint too. I have had fairly good luck removing or whatever you want to call it.. the marks by using Adam's Polishes products "Revive" and "Swirl and Haze Remover" as directed with a Porter Cable Orbital Polisher and a white or yellow pad. http://www.adamspolishes.com/
There are on line streaming tutorials. There is some etching still there but ya really gotta look for it. I will agree that the paint on the G's is some of the crappiest I have ever seen.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the replys! When I see it I remove it. I keep some speed shine and a microfiber cloth in the car. I thought for sure one of the wax's or synthetic polishes would help stop this.

Stilcrazee- Yeah I got it to shine up, but I can still see it if the light hits it right.

Just frustrating that the car is a month old and 3 spots on the car. I guess it might be time for the high speed buffer.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Unfortunately, bird droppings can begin to etch in a matter of minutes no matter what type of protection is on there. Bird droppings can be highly acidic depending on the berries, worms, etc. that the bird ate recently. One thing some detailers do is make a mixture of baking soda and water, in a paste like solution, and put it on top of the affected area to neutralize it with a base.

Make sure bird droppings are removed ASAP as everyone mentioned, I even keep a 4oz spray bottle of Poorboy's Spray & Wipe and an Ultra Plush Microfiber Towel in my glove compartment to handle quick messes.

I've seen worse case scenarios that have required wet sanding due to etching.

Keep us posted on how you make out with everything.

George