Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Wash Mit Recomendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wash Mit Recomendations?

Hey guy's, Need some Info on what is a Quality Wash Mit that will not leave fine scratches after washing a dirty car, like after a wet road from a downpour? I have my new baby 07 Sedan. And seems like the Reg Sponge I use, makes lots of small fine scratches after washing? I know I may be usuing the wrong kind of Wash mit?(Currently use a big Cello Style Sponge ) What's the best recommended Wash mit? Sheepskin kind? I also use Zaino wash, and polishes! Just want to know whats the best mit to use, to minimize fine Scratches when washing a dirty car from driving on the Filthy roads!! Everytime it rains i Cringe, thinking I gotta wash it again, and add more scratches, LOL. Would appreciate the Recomendations.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:43 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
microfiber cloths

Old 08-15-2007, 03:52 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I personally get my sheepskin mitts from walmart because they are the only local place that carries them. I go through the whole stack to find the plushest, softest ones available, and hoard them. Usually I can only find 1 or 2 that are acceptable out of ~20, so I have to keep going back every few months when they get new ones in. Since sheepskin is a natural product, the quality will vary between batches even from the same manufacturer. You need at least 2 for the car, and 1 or 2 for the wheels. They have a limited lifetime also so need replacing occasionally. If not availabe locally, there are some online retailers that sell them by weight and grade so you can get the best quality.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:02 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Anything microfiber...

Old 08-15-2007, 04:25 AM
Just remember, that microfiber won't scratch the paint by itself, but it has poor dirt shedding ability, and the short nap won't draw dirt away from the finish as you rub it around on your paint

Old 08-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by 808MIKE
Hey guy's, Need some Info on what is a Quality Wash Mit that will not leave fine scratches after washing a dirty car, like after a wet road from a downpour? I have my new baby 07 Sedan. And seems like the Reg Sponge I use, makes lots of small fine scratches after washing? I know I may be usuing the wrong kind of Wash mit?(Currently use a big Cello Style Sponge ) What's the best recommended Wash mit? Sheepskin kind? I also use Zaino wash, and polishes! Just want to know whats the best mit to use, to minimize fine Scratches when washing a dirty car from driving on the Filthy roads!! Everytime it rains i Cringe, thinking I gotta wash it again, and add more scratches, LOL. Would appreciate the Recomendations.
Mike, using a sponge is one of the worst things you could possibly use to wash your G. A sponge, since it's porous in nature, traps all the dirt and you're essentially moving that dirt all around on your paint surface.

I would recommend a good quality 100% sheepskin mitt AND use the two bucket system. Read the link below for more info.

http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detai...ng-drying.html

Old 08-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Target's Micro-Chenille wash mitt is quite good. Vroom branded I believe...

Old 08-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy the thickest wooley mits you can find. Doesn't matter if they're real sheep skin or not.

Though many like MF mitts and towels, the fibers just aren't long enough to keep grit away from your paint.

You can find the new wooley mitts that are made up of MF "fingers" if you want a great compromise!

Old 08-18-2007, 11:46 PM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been using sheepskin, but they wear out quickly and 'shed'...I just ordered the ulti-mits by LC from DI, i'll let u know how they turn out.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheepskin Mitt for me. You can get them locally from Ranney at PakShak or Marvin at Hawaii Truck Concepts, as well as all you'll ever need for detailing products.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I personally get my sheepskin mitts from walmart because they are the only local place that carries them. I go through the whole stack to find the plushest, softest ones available, and hoard them. Usually I can only find 1 or 2 that are acceptable out of ~20, so I have to keep going back every few months when they get new ones in. Since sheepskin is a natural product, the quality will vary between batches even from the same manufacturer. You need at least 2 for the car, and 1 or 2 for the wheels. They have a limited lifetime also so need replacing occasionally. If not availabe locally, there are some online retailers that sell them by weight and grade so you can get the best quality.
I agree. The ones I most recently bought at Walmart have really lasted well and haven't "shed". You need to search for the best ones.

I don't use sheepskin on my tires/wheels. I have an imitation man made type of mitt that cleans more easily and also doesn't seem to scratch.

As others have said microfiber isn't a great choice for washing since the short nap holds dirt on the surface scratching the paint. Definitely don't use a sponge.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by kernel843
I've been using sheepskin, but they wear out quickly and 'shed'...I just ordered the ulti-mits by LC from DI, i'll let u know how they turn out.
I've been using an Edge ShMitt for over a year now. They work just as well as sheepsking, but they don't shed and have been more durable for me.

For some reason I decided to use a sheepskin when washing my car. When I was done, there was a TON of hair stuck to the rubber lock/unlock button on my door handle.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by MikeyC
I've been using an Edge ShMitt for over a year now. They work just as well as sheepsking, but they don't shed and have been more durable for me.

For some reason I decided to use a sheepskin when washing my car. When I was done, there was a TON of hair stuck to the rubber lock/unlock button on my door handle.
Alot of people using the shmitt say that they need to apply additional pressure when washing with it or it will miss areas on the paint due to the wavy design, have you noticed this issue? With the higher quality sheepskins, I don't get shedding, and when they do start to shed, I switch to new ones

Old 08-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Alot of people using the shmitt say that they need to apply additional pressure when washing with it or it will miss areas on the paint due to the wavy design, have you noticed this issue? With the higher quality sheepskins, I don't get shedding, and when they do start to shed, I switch to new ones
I can't say I've ever had that problem. I use pretty much zero pressure when I wash because I feel that contributes to marring of the paint.

I think like any new/different detailing product you may have to adjust your technique a little bit. When you try a new wax for instance application or removal technique for optimum results may differ from your old wax.

I may have made some adjustments when I switched, but honestly I don't recall. In the end, I know the ShMitt has outlasted any sheepskin I've ever owned (by far). Plus, it rinses out so well I've pretty much stopped using my Grit Guard.

Last edited by MikeyC; 08-20-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 PM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you referring to the ones you get from wal-mart? The ones I got online from a reputable dealer were suppose to be good but both of mine started shedding after the second wash.

I don't know how good of quality it is, but the one I got from Oreilly's a long time ago has held up quite well...i just use it to clean the wheels though b/c i'm afraid it will put swirls in the paint.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wash Mit Recomendations?