Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Scratch free debadging, very easy!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratch free debadging, very easy!!

So when I did a search on how do debadge, I was surprised that many of you use your fingers(even newspaper!), to get the sticky goo out. Its common sense that you will get some scratches if you kept on picking at it like that, especially if the goo is at its last layer.

Well, I found a way to take the sticky goo out without any scratch and no blow dryer is needed. The main tool is to use your thumb or fingers...no cloth/applicator needed, until the final step which is polish and wax. Began by washing your hands.

First thing to do is clean the area to debadge to get rid of any dirt, in my case, i debaged the "G35" which IMO gives a better sense of symetry and a much cleaner look without looking to dull or empty.

Next, carefully pry out the letter/number so not to scratch the clear coat. This step is pretty easy, except for maybe taking out the Infnity logo.

Once that's done, soak the sticky goo with Goo-goo gone for 5-10 minutes.

This next step is the key to succesfully take out the sticky residue. With the area still moist with goo-goo gone, rub the sticky residue with your fingers/thumb in a back and forth motion or go up and down...it doesn't matter. The sticky stuff should already be loose therefore, rolling into a ball and seperating itself from the clear coat. keep on doing this until no there's no sign of the sticky residue.

It is very important to keep the area slightly moist with Goo-goo gone to act as a lubricant. Put too much on, and it will take you longer b/c it will be kinda slippery and not enough friction between your fingers/thumb and the sticky residue.

Once you completely taken out all of the sticky stuff(30 minute for me), your're ready to clean and wax, which you should already know how to do.

After i was done with everything, I inspected the "cleaned" area and see no scuff/scratches from all angle. I was expecting to get some fine line scratches, but nothing! I was very surprised. I will take some close up pic tomorrow. Hope this help some of you.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:44 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
lol its easy i just got fusterated with the sticky stuff and have a few fine line scratches

Old 09-14-2007, 07:53 AM
I used Goo Gone and my fingers and there are no scratches.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
It helps to heat up letters with hair dryer or heat gun on "low"

Old 09-15-2007, 10:18 PM
I've never debadged a car before...but I've always wondered. Are they just stuck on with the crazy goo stuff, or is there actually a hole that the badge goes through? By this post, it looks like they are just stuck on the car and it takes some time to pull them off but there are no holes?

Sorry for the ignorance...I've just never debadged before. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I cannot say for 07, but on 03 letters and G35 are stick on and "Infiniti" badge has 2 holes.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by obender66
I cannot say for 07, but on 03 letters and G35 are stick on and "Infiniti" badge has 2 holes.
Yeah, the letters are just thick double sided tape. It rips when you remove the badge which is why they are suggesting to use floss and/or a hair dryer. I tried all of that and the floss will get a closer cut than just ripping it off. As for heating it up, it tried both ways and it came off the same.