Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

If you own an IP, DO NOT buy a 3M Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TimW
hmm, garaged? my CB (on BS) needs LOTS of sun to stay clear. the sun seems to back all the stains out. :/ dunno

Thats interesting. I didnt know the sun would bleach it out like that.

After I put some Zaino on mine the surface seems exactly the same as the paint. It really helps to claybar it (just like paint) and I use q tips to clean out the bra edge.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NISMOchick
screw the clear bras! I have the little side skirt clearbras for my IP G and somehow dirt got all underneath it, it looks gross and it wont come off. So im going to have to take the whole thing off, but i'm kinda nervous about getting the glue stuff off afterwards.
Try straight ammonia. Doesn't hurt anything & clears your sinuses out so well.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what type of wax did you use?
you need to avoid using petroleum distillate based waxes on clear bras

Old 10-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
That's strange.
I had one on my IP Maxima for 5 years on it never had issues.
No issues in 2 years with one on my black G either.
Maybe it's the particular manufacturer's problem.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:46 AM
Pick up some Plexus, use that to clean your clear bra. It will take off those annoying door dings too (not dents, duh) without damaging paint.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:44 PM
I had an 06 IP which I installed my Clearmask kit on. There are different kits out there. Some of them warranty their product, some dont. But to keep from yellowing, do not wax it. If you dont beleive me wash a small spot on your car sometime with dawn dishwashing soap... the wax will come off and its yellow. I stopped using wax a long time ago.I only use Zaino... nothing else. Also do not buff the material. It ill take the fnish off and you will have a dull spot.

As far as the person who had dirt uderneath their ClearBra, you had a poor install. The installer has to hard card the edges down to make sure they do not lift. Once they lift dirt will get under there and your screwed. I would take it back to the installer and demand a new kit put on. The adhesive underneath is easy to get off so dont worry about that. But any good installer will warranty their work. If they dont, they wont be in business long.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Maintenance and Care- polyurethane protection film is porous, that's why it's so important to keep the film sealed. Dirt, dust, and other air born impurities left on unsealed film will eventually cause the film to become dull. Clean and maintain its surface with ( Z-8™ Grand Finale Spray Seal) or a plastic cleaner (Plexus® Plastic Cleaner, Protectant and Polish) tape the edges of the auto mask and lightly glaze over the material; start at the centre and work outwards, do not use detailer’s clay as it will cause micro-fine surface scratches.

Ultra Violet Protection; more correctly, UV absorbent is a sacrificial ingredient that needs to be re-applied on a regular 2 – 4 month basis (dependent upon climatic conditions) - 303™ Aerospace Protectant

Old 01-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's not that bad, i have the clear bra too.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I had a scratch on my 3M CB on my last car, they told me to use this, and it worked great!

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 02-06-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
who told you it was a clearcoat. if you mean that it is the same as paint clearcoat, that is absolutely not the case.
This rugged transparent material will not crack, shrink or peel over time and it resists yellowing, the film and clear coat layers contains a protection to counteract harmful ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) radiation that can cause the surface to occlude (cloud) Testing from 3M reveals that the material will deflect road debris without film damage at up to 60MPH with the standard film. Mid-tone coloured cars, silver, reds, greens or gold’s, the film absolutely disappears into these colour

Information resource: http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml
3M FAQ- http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...Consumer/FAQs/

Old 03-30-2008, 11:32 PM
I have been installing 3m ClearMask for 3 years now. I actually had an 06 IP Coupe that had a kit on it. It never yellowed and looked perfect when I went to sell it 3 months ago. I dont recommend using a wax on it though. Wax does have a yellowing effect and the material is porous. I use Zaino on all of my vehicles and I have never had any problems like you have stated. If you dont believe me about wax turning yellow, wash a small spot on your car sometime with Dawn and watch the yellow wash off in the water.

Rubbing alchohol is great for removing stains. Just soak the stain though. Do not scrub or you will dull the clarcoat on the film.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:48 PM
I totally agree.
I had a 3M on my IP sedan and it yellowed in less than a year. I didn't even bother claiming the warranty, just ripped it off. I wish I would've kept it, because it looked like a crumpled up piece of thick yellow plastic. I could have posted pictures of it and no one would ever consider buying one with a white car.
In fact my dealership has stopped offering these, because of so many complaints and the difficulty putting them on correctly.

Don't buy the "does not yellow" BS, because they will. I personally don't have time to take my car to the dealership every 12 months to get it replaced.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Well Jes I think if you would read some of the posts above you might change your mind. I would bet anything you used a normal wax on it... wax yellows big time. And it is possible you got a cheap film. I have not had one single kit yellow in the three years I have been doing it. I install ClearMask and it has a lifetime warranty. I am sure if someone had a problem with yellowing they would have brought it back to me by now for a free replacement. My own kit on my IP still looks great.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:27 PM
I was considering getting a CB until I saw it on another IP coupe. It had a very distinct yellow tint to it and the edge was very noticible.

To the guy in this thread that was considering removing the rock guards, be careful! I went to replace those and the paint on the rocker panels came off with it. Turned a $30 job into several hundred to repaint.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am kinda new here. What is "IP"? A color? I have the 3M bra on my Silver 05 Coupe that I got used 3 months ago, but the independent dealer took it off the bumper when it was repainted for a some scratching when the first owner had a minor fender bender (Carfax reported it and had the police report!). I am thinking about replacing it, but it is about $320 for the bumper only.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If you own an IP, DO NOT buy a 3M Clear Bra