Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clay Bar Result...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay Bar Result...

I tackled the Zaino monster today and will finish up tomorrow. A question that I had was with respect to clay bar usage. I clay'd the entire car (even though it's new), and I was pleased with the result. The only problem, was that in one area, even after I washed with Zaino wash, there was what looked like a "rubbed" area left over. It's almost as if something very lightly abrasive was used. I already applied the first coat of Z-5/ZFX and it is still there. Help!!!

Also...with regards to Z-6...does anyone else find it tough to spray without it getting everywhere? I felt as if I wasted alot of that stuff. I switched to spraying it directly onto a microfiber towel and wiping it on, then drying it with another towel. Thoughts?!

'04 6MT, Laser Red/Graphite, Prem, Navi, 4-Piece Aero, BSM

Old 03-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Re: Clay Bar Result...

I did the entire process today, as well. Dawn->Clay bar->ZFX+Z2->Z6->ZFX+Z2->Z6. The car is like glass and as good as new. This was the first time I used clay bar, and was amazed. I spend about 6 hours on the car (including cleaning the leather and polishing the rims), and the result was well worth it. The G is now ready for the spring .
To answer your question, I had a similar result, in one spot. I think it's a result of not having enough lubricant. I used mother's kit, and the lubricant that comes with it didn't help clean up this problem area. I ended up spraying Z6, and buffing it out. After both coats of ZFX+Z2 and Z6, it was completely gone. I guess everything comes with experience. I made sure I used enough lubricant on the rest of the car.
As far as the application of Z6 is concerned, try not opening it all the way. It will come out as a nice spray, instead of a stream. Play around with the setting, and you will get it just right. That should fix your problem. Good luck!
Doesn't Z6 smell awesome? The car is so slick that I can go blind.

G35 Coupe. Diamond Graphite, Graphite, Premium and wheel and Tire package. Zaino Baby.

Old 03-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS

With the Z6, don't spray, as much as allowing the stuff to dribble out- as the directions say, you shouldn't need to use too much each time.

DB

Old 03-07-2004, 09:06 AM

Statik -

I think this happens to just about everyone that tries it. I started a "thread" about 2 weeks ago asking about this very same thing. Although my solution was to spray some WD40 on my finger, lightly apply on the spot and it came off in a second. Wash it off with soapy water and you're good to go.

2004 Coupe/DG/Graph/5AT/Premium/CB/ and CG Baby!

Old 03-07-2004, 09:17 AM

Thanks guy...man I love this forum! Part two today...I'll try to use Z6 to get the spot out, but if it doesn't happen, I'll wash the car again with Dove and start the process over. I figure hey...what a better way to spend a nice Sunday afternoon than waxing my G?!

'04 6MT, Laser Red/Graphite, Prem, Navi, 4-Piece Aero, BSM

Old 03-07-2004, 12:32 PM

Statik, let us know of the outcome, and don't forget to post some pics after you are done .

G35 Coupe. Diamond Graphite, Graphite, Premium and wheel and Tire package. Zaino Baby.

Old 03-07-2004, 12:35 PM

dove?

you mean dawn right?

haha.

2004 Twlight Blue/Willow 6mt Coupe.
Bel Vector 985 Hardwired.
Grounding Kit.
Next Project: Carputer.

Old 03-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put Zaino over that "smudge" it's probably there for good. Unless you do the process over like you stated.

I use one of the applicators to apply my Z6. Spray a good amount on the pad, wipe a section, use a cotton towel to remove it, flip the towel and buff it out. The whole time I'm refraining from drinking it due to it's wonderful smell.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 05:06 PM

How long does it take to claybar a car? I just got my BlackFire PolyClayII kit, and with the size of those bars, it looks like it will take forever!!

Old 03-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty quick actually. The time consuming part is washing & drying since you have to do that before and after you clay bar. I think the actual clay bar process took me less than 30 minutes.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 09:12 PM

It is pretty quick, once you get a hang of it. Make sure you use enough lubricant. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2004, 10:42 PM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

"How long does it take to claybar a car? I just got my BlackFire PolyClayII kit, and with the size of those bars, it looks like it will take forever!!"

how big is the bar? i use the mother's claybar kit and i read on another forum that you can cut the clay in half and save the other half for later use.

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 03-08-2004, 10:49 PM

The instructions say you can fold it and re-use it. I used the same one as you (mother's kit), and it says it will cover about 3-4 cars until the clay bar gets contaminated. So, I shrink wrapped it, and saved it for next time.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

yeah, i do the fold and re-use too. so after 2 (maybe 3) claybarrings, i throw away that half and have the other half for a fresh, new start. i saw it on some mother's review website. do you ever use that little bottle of wax that comes with it? mine is still sitting in the box.

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 03-09-2004, 12:04 AM

Oh yeah, that little bottle - I don't use it. I am a big Zaino guy . i don't want to mix it. I was thinking of selling it on ebay, but I might just have to throw it out...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar Result...