Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Removing Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Clear Bra

We just recently got our G and we had it imported from Colorado to Vancouver, Canada. It has 3768 miles on it and its IP. The clear bra on it has yellowed and was wondering if there is a certain way to remove it, also is removing it a good idea? It looks terrible with the clear bra and the clear bra is already peeling on the corners a little. Also if I remove it, would the paint underneath it be faded a different colour?

Thanks

Old 02-07-2008, 02:09 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
check out G35.ca, it's a local G site for us Van city dwellers. We gotta meet coming up on March 23rd so if you wanna come out, put your name on the signup list.
To answer your question I'm pretty sure if you keep adding hot water and special degreasing soap it should be able to get in there and dissolve the glue holding the clearbra on. So peel a little then pour water and soap over and rub with a sponge, then repeat until you finish.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:03 PM
yeah im on there to but its so dead sometimes. I'm probably not going to go to that one, i wont be in town.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Go to a professional that installs them to have it removed. It will only take 1/2 hour or so and you'll minimize risk or peeling paint etc.

I watched them take mine off and it seemed pretty easy. There is no degreasing soap, hot water etc used - just peeled off.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Alright, well I emailed a couple shops in the Vancouver area to ask for a price quote from them. Thanks for the help guys

Old 02-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Clear Mask Removal - if the film is properly applied to a fully cured painted vehicle, it can be removed, usually in one piece, without damaging the paint surfaces beneath the film. It is not difficult to remove, apply heat to a corner with a hair dryer (not a heat gun) pull the film at an angle not straight up and work slowly to avoid breaking / tearing the vinyl (like any applied vinyl, the longer it’s been applied the more difficult it will be to remove) work slowly and be patient. Use detailer’s clay and /or 1:1 Isopropyl Alcohol / distilled water to clean any adhesive residue.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by xfactor78
...It has 3768 miles on it and its IP. The clear bra on it has yellowed and was wondering if there is a certain way to remove it, also is removing it a good idea? It looks terrible with the clear bra and the clear bra is already peeling on the corners a little. Also if I remove it, would the paint underneath it be faded a different colour?

Thanks
for 3768 miles, mind if i ask what brand/type of clear bra is it?

Old 02-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Deezflip
for 3768 miles, mind if i ask what brand/type of clear bra is it?
thats what im trying to figure out. I haven't had time to email the seller yet, but when I do I'll let you know. Does anybody know if 3M honours waranty in Canada if it was done in the states?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Clear Mask Removal - if the film is properly applied to a fully cured painted vehicle, it can be removed, usually in one piece, without damaging the paint surfaces beneath the film. It is not difficult to remove, apply heat to a corner with a hair dryer (not a heat gun) pull the film at an angle not straight up and work slowly to avoid breaking / tearing the vinyl (like any applied vinyl, the longer it’s been applied the more difficult it will be to remove) work slowly and be patient. Use detailer’s clay and /or 1:1 Isopropyl Alcohol / distilled water to clean any adhesive residue.

Thanks!

I just took the clear bra off my headlights and there was tons of adhesive left on there. Took a good hour of work but I got it all off.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
another old thread revived

Old 12-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by xfactor78
thats what im trying to figure out. I haven't had time to email the seller yet, but when I do I'll let you know. Does anybody know if 3M honours waranty in Canada if it was done in the states?
Unfortunately I do not think you will get any warranty work from 3M. You are the second owner of the car and can not verify how it was maintained. Some waxes will yellow over time and it could be a wax build up that has caused the film to yellow. I have been installing Clear Mask and VentureShield for 5 years so I have seen a lot of films yellow due to poor maintenance. I always recomend Zaino or a good carnuba wax.

To remove the film just warm it up with a hair dryer and lift at a 90 degreee angle. I have found that will leave the least amount of adhesive on the car... so less time cleaning it with 3M adhesive remover. If you have any questions feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to help out.

Thom

Old 12-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
another old thread revived
LOL, didnt notice that.