Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Safe Tire Dressing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:29 AM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Safe Tire Dressing?

Can anyone recommend some safe tire dressing? By safe, I mean dressing that won't cause any damage whatsoever to the polished wheels (non-acidic, in other words)

Along with that, some wheel polish that is safe to use on polished wheels (repolished, in my case)

Thanks
Dave

Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by caelric
Can anyone recommend some safe tire dressing? By safe, I mean dressing that won't cause any damage whatsoever to the polished wheels (non-acidic, in other words)

Along with that, some wheel polish that is safe to use on polished wheels (repolished, in my case)

Thanks
Dave
Dave, for a safe tire dressing, you typically want to narrow it down to water based tire dressings. One of my favorite dressings is Poorboy's Bold 'n Bright. It's very easy to apply, works itself into your tires instead of sitting on top of your tires, nourishes the rubber, and has a nice medium gloss look to it (or you can buff it to a matte finish if desired).

A key to healthy tire dressing absorption is properly prepping your tires before applying the dressing. I'll use a degreaser on my tires, wheel wells, brakes and suspension components prior to cleaning the wheels. In your case, consider using a non-acidic cleaner, such as the P21S Total Auto Wash, which is a citrus based cleaner instead of acidic.

Are your polished wheels clear coated? If so, you can treat them similar to your paint, in which I'd recommend a non-abrasive chemical cleaner for routine polishing. Finally, to prevent brake dust from settling on your newly polished wheels, consider protecting your wheels with Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. This will provide a barrier of protection that is safe on all surfaces, withstands higher temperatures which is great for brake dust, and leaves behind a very slick surface which makes future cleanings significantly easier. For regular maintenance, we recommend just using auto shampoo and water with a dedicated wheel wash mitt. Clean your wheels the same as you would your paint (use 2 buckets, rinse frequently, etc.).

Here's a recent blog post on wheel and tire care you may want to take a look at. If you have any other questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George