Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear Bra a year later

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by airforceG
appreciate all of the tips. Thommyboy, I'm stationed at Sheppard AFB right now for pilot training.
don't forget to get the clear bra for your f-22 immediately after getting one.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one knows a place to go in and around 562/323/310/714???
How much $$$ does it usally run??

Old 05-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by MEXDUX
Any one knows a place to go in and around 562/323/310/714???
How much $$$ does it usally run??
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ind_Installer/

http://www.invisiblepatterns.com/dealers.asp

www.clearbrafilms.com

Prices will always very from area to area. What is 600 bucks in one city could be 450 or 900 in another.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey,

I am asking this question in mulitple "Clear Bra" threads in hopes someone can answer it.

I've had my G35 for almost a year now and am planning on getting a clear bra on just my front bumper. My question is after it's installed and when I go to wax/detail my car, will the rest of the car be shinnier/glossier than the front bumper (where the clear bar is installed)?

Thnx in advance.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by T0Onyce
Hey,

I am asking this question in mulitple "Clear Bra" threads in hopes someone can answer it.

I've had my G35 for almost a year now and am planning on getting a clear bra on just my front bumper. My question is after it's installed and when I go to wax/detail my car, will the rest of the car be shinnier/glossier than the front bumper (where the clear bar is installed)?

Thnx in advance.

Hey T0Onyce, it kind of depends on how you care for your film, and what brand of film you go with. We reccomend using Plexus Plastic Polish on your clear bra instead of wax, as some wax may contain dyes etc., that can discolor the film ovr time. All Polyurethane film is porous, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

That said, keeping your clear bra clean and maintained, the shine should last, if anything it may have more gloss than the rest of your car.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Since this is a topic that comes up often or will in the future I will just go through it all.

I have used all the films out here and gave them all a chance for many years. Some new companies have popped up and others have made changes. So here is what I have seen over the past several years.

3M... its a great film and they have improved the warranty to cover penetration damage. This is a big deal. Reason being is cause the film is likely to get damaged while taking a decent hit. The biggest flaw in this film. Other then discoloring on white cars.

Venture Shield... this film seems to change often. No 2 rolls are the same and that is the problem. You can get a nice smooth roll that looks great and then a roll that is full of marks, dimples and or lines throughout the film. The quality control is just plain terrible. And the kits are poor at best.

Clear Shield... this film has not changeg in a long, long time. Has lots of orange peel and a vynil top coat. Does seem to have a problem with yellowing and on cars with harder curves the film will show stretching. Vynil does not stretch like urethane. Seems to be an odd mix.

Avery... a good film but needs constant upkeep. Even if you get the top coated product it is not really top coated. Just a marketing gimmick. Its too bad since its a tough film. Has some orange peel and would never go near a white or dark colored car with it.

Llumar... its a great looking film and does a great job of protecting. It does not have a top coat so will need constand upkeep and care. Will look great on any car but will need care to keep looking good.

Xpel... as a new commer this film looks great. Doesn't show marks like the Venture, 3M and Clearshield on tougher cars. There are several films in the line as well. The standard is a nice film and the premium is great and smoother as well. Its still too early to tell how its going to hold up but all thing look real good. Much better film to install on cars that need lots of stretch then the others. They also have a line of sealers and install products to give the over product the best look.

The others... these are the films you find on ebay that have no name or from shops that just don't want to tell. These films are garbage. Many are not even for paint protection. They are to cover and seal wraps in the vynil business.

And on to headlight protection. Something any nissan or infinity owner should have.
There is no need for film thicker then 8 mil. The thicker film is a pvc. Two problems come with it. The first is heat. This film is much thicker then it needs to be (20-40mil). It will hold the head in the housing and can cause damage. Will in most cases when using standard bulbs. The other problem is the material the film is made from. PVC does not hold up as well as urethane. It does not install as well and will never look as good either. PVC will also discolor and break down before urethane.

Cleaners
Plexus is okay. It will leave a protective layer on the film for a short time. Does not do much for cleaning though. If you want good protection there is no substitute for a good wax or sealer like what Xpel offers. Its a tested product that holds up well. The only wax you need to watch for is the yellow carnauba waxes. The yellow has been know to stain the film. Most others are fine and will give much better protection then the Plexus.

Last edited by ClearBra_Guy; 03-25-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by kring
Clear bra's are debatable as to their return on investment. they definitely stop the debris, but at what cost? $1000 ? you could have the bumper repainted 2-3 times at that cost.
This is far from the truth. A clear bra done right will give back two fold.

Dealers are wise to repaints. This is why they will use a meter to test the paints gauge on used cars. Its not just about rock chips. Bug guts will etch the paint as well. A quick polish will not fix this. Wet sanding and then polishing is needed. Not to mention... I have have seen many people that have rubbed a garage door or other car. Peeling the film has showed the factory paint still in tact with no damage. Then there is the cost. You may be lucky to nose the car (paint the front end) for near the cost of a clear bra. The clear bra is always the cheaper way. A decent paint job on these new cars is going to run a grand easy. A good bra will be in the 5-600 dollar range depending on area. And you are not going to find a new chip every time you wash the car without one. New cars have cheap paint. They will chip easy and will only get worst over time. Clear Bras are a cheap investment. Shopping carts and other debris are just a hazard of owning a car.