Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How do I get this off!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I get this off!!!

Yesterday, I was doing a little spring cleaning and was preparing my G for it's first polish and wax. I prepared my wash buckets and sprayed on some bug and tar gel and let it sit for a couple of minutes. I then sprayed it off and commenced washing. Everything went as normal until I started drying the car. I noticed these streaks on one side of the hood. It didn't look like the usual water streaks, but I figured the polish would take it off. I polished the entire car in my garage and everything was good until I pulled it out of the garage and into the setting Sun. The hood lit up like a Christmas tree, but it was too late to try anything else and I wanted to drive it as little as possible. I researched all the typical remedies and when I got home tonight, I washed it again and tried claying the hood. While it did make my hood as smooth as glass (I am now a clay believer), it didn't do anything for the streaks. I then went with the old 3:1 vinegar wash. Let it sit a minute, rinsed and then washed the entire car over again. Still nothing! So here are my questions:

1.) What caused the streaks

and

2.) How do I get rid of them.

I'm going to throw a coat of NXT over it to give it some protection while I figure out what's going on. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
white and black cars are the worst to deal with. both stain very easily. i would assume that is is a chemical stain you have. and i wouldn't know what to recommend other than what you have already tried. sometimes they disappear on their own over time, but maybe you should ask a pro.

https://g35driver.com/forums/care-detailing/147922-ask-professional-detailer.html

Old 04-29-2008, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'm pretty impatient so at about 8:00pm I fired up the UDM and went to it with a little Meguiars polish. Let the machine do it's magic and then wiped with a microfiber. Best my finish has looked (minus the rock chips) since I picked it up at the dealer. I think where I went wrong was spraying the front end with the bug gel up. I think it forced the diluted chemicals up the hood and with the marginal wax job it had prior, it streaked on down to the bottom. The other mistake was trying that Turtle Wax black polish. It's really more of a colored wax and I don't think it has much abrasion at all so it didn't even touch the stain...just made it shinier. The Meguiars stuff worked great and then I finished up the front with a coat of NXT. Now all I have to do is finish the rest of the car.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to polishing/buffing. Other than hand waxing my vehicles on a regular basis, I never went beyond that. Given that this was my first new car and it was black, I knew I had to make the commitment and finally start learning how.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.