Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Absorber for drying...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absorber for drying...?

I've always used The Absorber (synthetis chamois that comes in a tube) to dry previous cars. Are these bad to use due to scratching? I've been reading on here that Waffle Micorfiber towels are good for drying.....do these scratch your paint as well like the absorber? Or do you guys think that it's safe to use the absorber on my G35 coupe. I've never used a waffle microfiber towel but just from checking them out at Advance Auto Parts they seem to be great products, can they pick up as much water as the Absorber? thanks guys.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:36 PM
I used that long ago and actually still have it in my garage, but it's unused. The standard now a days is definitely MF since it's virtually scratch-proof. The most absorbent being Waffle Weave Microfiber Towels, at least from what I've read (I use Meguiars brand Waffle MF towels and have had only good things to say and no scratching).

I found mine on eBay for cheap and they were brand new.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also use Meguiars waffle mf. works great.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry for going sort of off topic, i can delete this if you want OP. how do you guys clean and dry your waffle weave MF towels? I always have trouble getting them dry before I use them again.. do you stick them in the dryer? hang them to dry or what

Old 09-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by elayman
sorry for going sort of off topic, i can delete this if you want OP. how do you guys clean and dry your waffle weave MF towels? I always have trouble getting them dry before I use them again.. do you stick them in the dryer? hang them to dry or what
I actually wasn't thinking last time I washed mine and just threw it in the dryer on low, but ideally its best to let them air dry.

If you search, which I did before buying all of my detailing stuff, there's a ton of how-tos on MF prep/cleaning/drying and the like.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:01 AM
Yes WWMF can pick up as much as the absorber and are more delicate on the finish. Mf are softer and have a nap where dirt can be trap in.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:33 PM
i strongly recommend the detailedimage.com waffle weave. i have the chemical guys one and the DI one is SIGNIFICANTLY thicker. one towel dries the entire car minus the wheels and tires

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...ng-Towel-P100/
These work exceptionally well. F isn't necessarily "scratch-proof", they're just less likely to scratch.
Chamois is more likely to scratch because any debris picked up by it is right on top of the surface and can be easily rubbed into your clear coat.
MF is thicker and more plush, the thicker the better. This allows debris to sink into the towel instead of remaining on the surface, lowering chances of scratching the clear coat.
Eventually, the MF will become debris-ridden and will need to be properly cleaned or just thrown out and replaced.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I still use the absorber.. it's good.. but MF "should" be better.. I just can't afford the "nice" ones..

Old 09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
I tried the absorber, hated it and it has been sitting in its tube since. The meguiars drying towel works ok, but takes multiple wringing and usually requires several passes. Your best bet is the Big Blue Towel from DI or the Cobra Miracle Towel from autogeek. I have the big blue and can dry my entire car in one pass, rinse it when I am done and air dry it. I mist it with some QD before each use. Cobra makes some nice MF, but I have not personally used it.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
my drying process is three stages:
1-California water blade (the old original one with a purple handle)
I find the old blade is softer than the new ones, also it takes all the big water bubbles out and leaves my windshield and other windows perfect.
2-Microfiber towel to semi-dry the remaining areas otherwise impossible to get to with the blade.
3-Lastly I use my true sheepskin Chamois to take all the mini-bubbles (streak) of water off and leaves the car as if it never saw water
I've had the chamie for 6 years and I just replaced it with a new one.

p.s. I love washing my girl!