Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

parking outside = fading paint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
Question parking outside = fading paint?

I know the G paint chips easily but how does it hold up to sunshine? Has anyone had noticeable fading from parking outside?

My current apartment has a parking garage but I'm considering moving to a new apartment which has outside parking only ($400/mo less for a 2 BR... which helps a lot with car payments!).

My G is silver with black interior, and I plan to get a tint soon to protect the interior. I assume silver is less resistant to fading than a real color.

p.s.- sun is pretty intense in Atlanta April to October!

Old 09-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
just buy a car cover thats what i would do

the way i see it is if im paying for it im taking care of it

Old 09-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
as long as you keep it waxed up i doubt it really has any effect.. know that parking outside allows people to see your car daily and plan thefts.. not saying parking garages are safe places, but you are less likely to be noticed by people passing by... also could get fvked by parallel parkers lol

Old 09-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Some people make the mistake of parking the same way everyday at work and at home. I stagger my parking . One day I back in the next day I drive straight in. I noticed my neighbor has a fade spot right in the same spot the sun beats down on daily. I have done this for yrs..

Old 09-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will fade your paint over the long run. It's a fact.

A lot of good suggestions already made here though, to minimize the speed and severity at which your paint fades.
  • Exhaustive detail once a year (clay, polish, sealant, etc.)
  • Wax twice a year if possible
  • Quick detail between waxing (polymer spray of some sort)
  • Wash with lubricating soap weekly or every other week
  • Use microfiber towels
  • Car cover will protect from the sun, but may also contribute to swirls
  • Randomize the placement of the car

Best solution is always to garage it as much as possible.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
Thanks... I do wash the car every 1-2 weeks (stays cleaner in a garage!) and will wax it at least every 3-4 months.

My question: has anyone with an older G who washes/waxes regularly experienced any noticeable fading?

I do see a lot of ragged out Gs around town but I'm pretty sure they are a result of owner neglect and not just cheap factory paint.

Car cover is too much trouble for daily use.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Seymore
It will fade your paint over the long run. It's a fact.

A lot of good suggestions already made here though, to minimize the speed and severity at which your paint fades.
  • Exhaustive detail once a year (clay, polish, sealant, etc.)
  • Wax twice a year if possible
  • Quick detail between waxing (polymer spray of some sort)
  • Wash with lubricating soap weekly or every other week
  • Use microfiber towels
  • Car cover will protect from the sun, but may also contribute to swirls
  • Randomize the placement of the car

Best solution is always to garage it as much as possible.
Wax twice a year?? A typical carnuba wax lasts 4-6 weeks so applying one twice a year won't offer much protection from the elements. If you take care of your paint properly (whether it be from applying sealants or carnubas), your paint should never fade. My recommendation to the OP is to apply a good sealant like FMJ (since it's much more durable than a carnuba) every 3-4 months. If you wish to top the sealant with a carnuba for added depth and gloss, wait 24 hours or so for the sealant to cure.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Wax twice a year?? A typical carnuba wax lasts 4-6 weeks so applying one twice a year won't offer much protection from the elements. If you take care of your paint properly (whether it be from applying sealants or carnubas), your paint should never fade. My recommendation to the OP is to apply a good sealant like FMJ (since it's much more durable than a carnuba) every 3-4 months. If you wish to top the sealant with a carnuba for added depth and gloss, wait 24 hours or so for the sealant to cure.
Well put... A good sealant can provide adequate protection for 3-4 months while you will be lucky to get 6 weeks out of a wax... Use a quality sealant (i.e. zaino) and do preventive maintenance (i.e. weekly/bi-weekly washes, using quality wash/dry media) and you should not experience noticeable damage due to parking outside... Good luck...

Old 09-28-2008, 07:56 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
My car has been street parked for 3 years and i dont notice any uneven fading, sure it's not as brilliant as it was when i first got it, but it still looks great after a good detail.

Up until 6 months ago i used to wash my car once, maybe twice a week and wax it once a month.
-GP-

Old 09-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It would also depend upon the colour of the paint (Red is notorious for UVR fading)

See article DetailingWicki; The A B C of UV Radiation - http://detailingwiki.com/index.php5?...f_UV_Radiation

Old 09-29-2008, 09:01 AM
metallic colors hold up better to sunlight... That's why i bought my G in LP. I kept my TL outside almost the whole time i had it (7 years) and after a wash it still looked good. I live in Louisiana, which would be just as hot if not hotter then ATL, so I think you'll be fine.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I take very good care of my car; the only noticeable, very noticeable, fade is on the mirrors. The rest of the car has held up remarkably.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Just an observation but can G35s even fade in paint color?

G35s have a clear coat which protects against UV damage to the color coat and it should be the host of any damage. Any fading that you guys are speaking about; wouldn't it just be oxidation on the clear coat? You can remove oxidation with a product like KAIO or if the clear coat is too damaged; a cut polish to restore it.

Just my opinion though; maybe someone can correct me in case I am mistaken.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wel infiniti's paint sucks lol so idk

Old 09-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
i have the coupe door moldings on my G and i took them off a couple months ago but it left a shadow of the molding on both doors and both rear quater panels..so i bought new door molding and put them on...my question is if i take my door moldings off will the shadow fade away in like a few months or years?..b/c when i debaged my rear infiniti and G35 emblems there was a shadow but not its gone and i dont even see it anymore.......

sry for the off topic question.......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: parking outside = fading paint?