Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

help detailing a 04 twilight blue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2008 | 08:06 PM
|
help detailing a 04 twilight blue

a friend of mine is a professional detailer for the last 3 years. I've seen and helped on every kind of paint out there and there is always a combination of products that can get the desire result. we use all finish kare products on either a pc or buffer with 6inch pads in all different forms. we gave my car the whole treatment last year and when it came time to compounding nothing seemed to work. the car was poorly maintained paint wise from the previous owner. it has heavy holograms, spider webbing etc. the heavy compound would surface mar. the medium compound only got 40-50% of the problems out. all of the holograms but hardly any of the spiderwebs. so we ending up glazing it over and hiding it. which ended up about 80% coverage. of course 6 months later after the sealant starts to break down the car needs done again. any ideas? tips or specialty products out there for such a soft paint?

Old 12-17-2008 | 09:15 PM
I've had wild success with Menzerna products. PO106FF is simply amazing.

Start with wither Intensive Polish or Super Intensive Polish with a white or orange pad (whichever seems to work better). Chances are you will eliminate the major defects, but create thousands of tiny minor defects.

This is where the PO106FF (or PO106FA, I can't keep them straight anymore), comes in. This product, with a white pad absolutely obliterated every single surface defect on my car and left a deep glossy shine that I have been unable to replicate with any other product.

Old 12-17-2008 | 09:22 PM
Now that I've done a shameless plug for my favorite products, I'm going to turn my attention back to the OP's questions.

There is no simple answer to your question. You say you used a heavy and a medium compound. Can you be more specific? Brands? What pad did you use?

Perhaps you need to use more or less pressure on the buffer. Perhaps you simply need to do multiple passes until all of the defects are gone.

Post some pics if you can, it will really help.

Here is some pics of my latest detail using Menzerna IP with an orange pad, followed by PO106FF and a white pad.

Here is the before picture. The car was polished 6 months earlier, but with soft paint, defects accumulate fast. Here is what I started with

Here is a shot after one pass of Menzerna Intensive polish on an orange pad

HEre is the 50/50 shot

And here is a 50/50 shot after PO106FF. Both sides have been polished with the orange pad and the Intensive polish. As you can see its pretty much ready for the LSP, but the PO106FF (on the left), brought out a very rich gloss and deeper black color.

Good luck

Old 12-18-2008 | 04:22 PM
|
tried every combination of pad and application techniques with the products at hand.

Old 12-18-2008 | 04:51 PM
I have twilight blue.

The use a Flex DA polisher. First stage I used as Menzerna IP on a green pad, then went over with FP on a white then blue pad. after polishing I topped with Zaino Z5 then a couple coats of Z2. results came out great all spider webbing is gone.

Old 12-18-2008 | 04:56 PM
Subscribing so I know what to use on my car.

Old 12-18-2008 | 05:12 PM
Menzerna products work great for me also.I use the flex and have a cheap rotary also.

Old 12-18-2008 | 05:30 PM
A heavy compound is gonna mar your paint... that doesn't mean don't use it. You need to use a finishing compound to get out that marring and then you will be fine.

Old 12-18-2008 | 06:10 PM
Where can you buy Menzerna products? Would the local Kragen have them?

Old 12-18-2008 | 06:21 PM
i like the 3M "Perfect It" Line of products for my personal car. No silicones means when you dont see a scratch then its gone not simply hiding underneath all that silicone in your wax.
1. 3M cutting compund and 6 inch foam cutting pad at no more than 2400 rpm on your buffer.
2. Then 3M swirl mark remover at same buffer speed. but us a polish pad on this and next step.
3. 3M Final Glaze at around 1800 rpm's. and follow it with a miracle towel for wipe down...or a better method in my opinion is to take a sponge and cover the car with the Final Glaze and the remove it with an Orbital Polisher, I have an 18lb Gem orbital which requires no work other than holding on LOL but it really does remove alot of the imperfections that you would otherwise have to remove by hand w your miracle towel.

obviously theres several ways to clean a car and I hope you find one that suits you but If I can help in any way feel free to pm me

Of course this is only my preference, but after using all those silicone filled waxes for years as a detailer and knowing they are completely gone after about a month ..I prefer the 3M line used by thousands of Body shops nation wide since you cant use silicone products at a body shop or you will destroy the painters work 0_o

Old 12-18-2008 | 06:27 PM
Old 12-18-2008 | 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mike_Deezy
Where can you buy Menzerna products? Would the local Kragen have them?
No go and try www.autogeek.net.or www.detailedimage.com.

Old 12-19-2008 | 05:43 AM
I use 3m products for right now. I have a 04 twilight blue G, and the previous owner didnt take good care of it. I washed, clayed, washed again, then used 3M cleaner wax, then a carunuba wax..the paint came out clean and POPPING!! wish i had some pics. Not as good as some of these others, but damn close ill tell you. But it does sound like you need some major paint correction. Maybe get alittle aggressive with it, then go alittle easy. Be careful, our clearcoat is softer, even though we suppossed to have a hard clearcoat.

Old 04-04-2009 | 05:48 PM
|
4 month bump! wee. finally got to doing it today... forgot tire shine. oops..

Old 04-04-2009 | 05:58 PM
The FK1 products may not be the best for polishing. You still have some minor damage in the photos that can be removed with a little more light polishing. Though you cant beat their 425 as a quick detailer, its incredible.

Give the Menzerna 106FF or Meguiars new M205 a try.

Here is a diect sun shot with Menzerna SIP / 106ff combo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: help detailing a 04 twilight blue