Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Paint bubbles/blisters???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paint bubbles/blisters???

Well, I just got my car back from the bodyshop a couple of days ago. It was hit in the rear. After installing my intake today, I do a walk around and notice little bubbles here and there. It's on the trunk, rear driver quarter and a few on the paint.

My question is, the guy told me that the paint would basically be "breathing" for anywhere from 30-90 days -- I highly doubt that any bubbles/blisters are "regular" -- But this is the 1st time I've had any parts painted.

Luckily the paint is under warranty. The shop isn't open again until Monday, but I'm just curious to get some input on fresh paint -- So I don't go in there and hear "it's normal and should go away" kind of stuff.

Thanks.

I know this area is for exterir/detailing, I figured paint = exterior & w/ wanting the paint to look good, then this is the section? Move me if I'm wrong...

Old 04-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not true.

Paint does breathe, and out-gas, but not through bubbles.

Take it back.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i dont think its supposed to bubble like that, unless they put on a sealant or wax. which they should not have done to let it outgas. post some pics of it so the detailers on the forum can properly assess it.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Sounds like they screwed up.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Typically, bubbling is from the under layers, like primer and basecoat, drying. Its the solvent from those materials drying. It has to get out, go it pushes through the top layers of material to escape.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Ok there right in a way, paint does breath for a while. Its when the solvent's are evaperating from the paint. Here is the thing that it sounds like to me with out seeing it. When painting its not as simple as just putting on the paint. You have to wait before each coat 5-20 minutes. So one thing that happens all the time is when the painter puts a coat on, and the coat thats all ready on the car is not dry yet. Lets say you put on ten coats and dont wait at all. Your last coat that your looking at might dry, but the first coat you put on is traped and cant breath. So you get solvent-poping.

I cant say for sure with out looking at it but I can tell you that you dont have self healing paint.

(sorry to tired to worry about spelling)

Old 04-05-2009, 05:07 PM
jdoria you sound like you know what your talking about. Do you paint or autobody?

Sorry off topic

Old 04-05-2009, 05:08 PM
100%. Spray high build primer, dont let it dry properly, then hit it with a guide coat and watch the bubbles.

Same holds for a base on a clear coat. Allow manufacturer recommended solvent drying time, no issues.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Almost....I ran the shop within our new car dealership. We had a 2 oven shop with a Sikkens and a Glasurit system in it.

so, at the time, I was focused on insurance claims and cost efficiency. I didnt get to enjoy it!

Old 04-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
What PPG said is very true and could easily be the cause of the bubbles. (remember her) Another reason for those damn bubbles is contamination, when someone was wiping down the primer prior to paint he picked up something on his rag possibly from a wheel well arch or dropped the rag on the floor....many possibilities. The bubbles won't go away, give them 4 weeks and take it back...."You want it done right!"
Gary

Old 04-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Im sure fish eyes could be interpreted as bubbles.

Can the OP post a photo?

Old 04-05-2009, 07:17 PM
I'll get a photo asap....

Old 04-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Yes Gary has a good point, but I was trying to think of things that would not be on the job when it left the shop and now your getting them as its trying to dry.

There are so meany things that can can happen to a paint job. Im thinking of the solvint-poping because fish eyes would have been in there when you picked up the car. I hope the shop and you would have seen them and stoped it from leaving.

Dont get me wrong there are a lot of shops that would try and get away with things like that but the good ones would stop the job, and say "sorry sir but we have to fix this." You do not want a unhappy customer, because it only hurts your rep.

In the autobody/paint world we know a mad customer tells ten people "hey they screwed up my car" a happy customer only tells one person they like the job. Normal non-car people dont sit around talking about there bumper getting painted unless there unhappy.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Hey, well I took the car for a wash so I could take pictures -- No wax or anything of course.

So I get out, and all the bubbles/blisters are gone... WTF!?!?! I know where they were because I made it a point to remember so I could point it out to the shop, but they're not there anymore. I am clueless about fresh paint, so please tell me if you have an idea.

When the car left the shop, there were no defects. I even asked them to bring the car outside to look in the sunlight so I can inspect it with them there. I'm not concerned about the shop not going back and redoing their work because the shop manager made it very clear that if anything out of the ordinary would appear that they would take care of it and repaint anything that needed to be painted.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:14 PM
so you washed the bubbles off water will do that

^sorry I had to

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Paint bubbles/blisters???