Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Tire cleaning tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 03:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire cleaning tips

A question for you guys. You know how the tire looks when you just bought your car from the dealer? Its nice, glossy, wet looking black. What is the best product to use that won't brown your tires after time and will hold up the wet glossy black look the longest? I'm using this tire gel one in a bottle and apply a few coats with this foam pad that it comes with. But it doesnt seem to last long, maybe a few days and it goes back to that dull look again. I can't stand when my tires look dull, especially on a black car... please help.

Old 07-14-2004, 09:17 AM
Re: Tire cleaning tips

First, you should use Westley's Bleech White (kinda pricey) or I use just a degreaser (Deep purple by castrol, Simple Green, etc). I spray a diluted concentration on the tires only and scrub with a stiff bristle brush. This will remove all the road grime, oxidation, and crap off the tires. If you want a dressing that lasts long, Mother's and Mequire's both make a product that ....."last's weeks, not days...." I have tried one of them, don't remember which and it was ok. I just couldn't get the shine I wanted and the suff is fairly expensive. Even with multiple coats, the shine wasn't up to my satisfaction. I wash the car every week anyway so regular dressing works for me. Except for the slingin I get if I don't let it sit long enough before saoking in. Some people also like the Zaino tire shine, but I have never tried it and don't know how long it lasts.
Good Luck!

2003 6MT Black Coupe, Premium Pkg. w/ Aero
20% tint all around, Aluminum Pedals

Old 07-14-2004, 03:30 PM

Try Black Magic "tire gel"

Not too expensive and the shine does last quite some time.

Old 07-14-2004, 10:48 PM

The Black Magic gel is pretty good, but I like Meguire's Endurance High Gloss gel the best (and it smells good too!)--very glossy stuff and it can last a good week at a time. Just be sure to let it sit a while and wipe away the excess with a cloth after applying. It might sling off a little the first time you drive, but it's easy to wipe off the body panels (never had a problem getting it off without harm). I also find that after several days, it might seem like the shine has faded from dirt and other road grime, but a quick wipe with a cloth will get that off and the shine will be back.

2004 6MT (Silver/Willow), premium & aero packages

My old ride (I still miss her; put a lot of pride and joy into it): http://www.n-body.net/registry/john95ga/

Old 07-15-2004, 06:34 AM

The endurance high gloss holds up well and looks great! As fldrummer said, let it sit before driving and remenber to wipe. I let it sit overnight, very little sling.

2003.5 G35C BL/GR, NAV, PREM, AERO, TINT, SPORT, Splash, Clear Corners, V1

Old 07-15-2004, 08:50 AM
G-Squad DJ =)

i recently tried a new spray shine...its by Teflon i dont remember the name...my dad brought it home one day and said "give it a shot i hear its good"...and ya kno its pretty good...BUT takes FOREVER to dry...only use it when u have patience to let ur car sit overnight...oh yea...it stains the [censored] out of the floor if u get it on the floor lol most of the tire dressings do that too tho