Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help: Need to clean up a used car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Help: Need to clean up a used car!

I just bought a g35 coupe last week and it is in fair condition. A lot of things need to be cleaned/fixed, so I wanted to know what I can do myself (and how) and what I should get done professionally (and approximate cost):

1. Dirty rims. I tried cleaning these with normal car wash soap, but the dirt just won't go away. Also, the lugs are rusted, and way to restore them. The rim finish is dull also - doesn't have the stock shine:

2. Dull leather. The leather is faded and I want to restore it somewhat to a darker (but not greasy) black. In the picture, you can see the back half of the seat looks good, while the front face is faded.

3. Top glove compartment. As you can see, the top right is coming off. Is this a simple fix with glue, or did a screw or something come out or break?

4. Paint condition. You can see alot of small dots as in this picture after washing. There is also the long rub mark. What's the best way to remove these? Will claying and minor polishing do the job?

5. Interior. When I clean my interior, a lot of dust accumulates right afterwards. I'm using standard paper towels. Is there a dust-free alternative? Also, a lot of the pastic pieces have scratches and spots, as seen in the picture. Can these be removed? Also, is there any way to restore the faded black plastic without making it slippery and greasy?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
1. Maybe CLR the lugs or some kind of rust remover. Or just buy new ones. You can polish and wax your wheels to bring them back to stock shine, maybe clean them with a heavy duty cleaner or simple green?

2. Some places sell leather dye kits that comes in the form of a rub on conditioner, I can't think of a brand right now but check your local auto supply store, they might be able to get you something.

3. I have never seen that before, you can't just pop it back in with your hands? maybe put some crazy glue on there and hold it while it sets.

4. Are the dots rough to the touch? if so, clay bar should easily get rid of those. The rub mark will be easily removed with a light polish or some kind of scratch remover like scratchX or NuFinish's ScratchDr.

5. I have this problem too but haven't found anything better than armorall, I know it leaves a greasy residue but nothing else really cleans it and makes it look good. This is why the 03/04 Interior isn't as nice as the 05+

Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM
What does CLR mean (is it some type of product or process)?

Thanks alot for the reply.

I'll try your suggestions out this weekend and see if anything improves.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:09 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Ok, the rest i dont know.

The dust is from your paper towels. Do NOT use those. They suck and do a terrible job (even on windows)

Grab a pack of microfibre towels from walmart or oreilly or something (usually a pack of 12 for $12 or something like that)

Then to CLEAN it (without the greasy crap yuck, dont use armorall, its terrible and will crack and fade your dash. People recommend that 303 Aerospace stuff too, and although it looks nice, it still makes it greasy which is a big yuck) Get this stuff. Spray it on your microfiber towel and wipe away. You can pick it up at oreilly or any autoparts store for like $5. Meuires quick interior detailer. This stuff works the best IMO. Cleans the dash, withOUT the grease, and makes it look brand new. This stuff is my favorite by a long shot (and iv experimented with a LOT of products)

Old 05-27-2009, 01:03 AM
^ Thanks, I'm gonna try that out.

I wasted money buying the armor all in bulk, I hate that greasy stuff.

Guess I'll be stocking up on some supplies this weekend.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:15 AM
-MN G Crew-

Yea, i wouldnt recommend armorall to my worst enemy (sorry 4drgs) haha

For your leather situation, i really like the zaino 2 step process. its about $20 off zainos website. It works wonders. The leather feels supple and amazing and smells wonderful.

Will it bring back your faded leather though? Im not sure.

If you have any questions about other products, let me know. I have tried just about everything.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 AM
Do you know of any other leather conditioners that work well that I could pick up in store?

Lexol or Zymol?

Last edited by cpufreak3; 05-27-2009 at 02:00 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 AM
-MN G Crew-

Zymol has worked pretty well for me when i have tried it. Definatly one of the better OTS products.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Another question. Have you used the black magic leather cleaner/conditioner?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:31 PM
-MN G Crew-

No. I dont think i'd use it. Try the meguirers leather care or the zymol.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DetailedImage.com is your best friend and they offer 10% off for G35Driver members.

I recommend 303 for interior. It'll clean your dash, your leather, everything. Definitely NOT greasy. I use Zaino leather conditioner and it does a great job getting seats back to like new condition.

Search around for paint detailing. Looks like you'll need a good clay bar along with paint correction products.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:18 PM
-MN G Crew-

Maybe i dont do it right, but when i use the 303 it leaves a layer on that drives me nuts.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
those lugs will need to be replaced, you can't fix that kind of corrosion on them.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Maybe i dont do it right, but when i use the 303 it leaves a layer on that drives me nuts.
You're supposed to spray it on a MF towel, wipe till wet, then use a dry part or another dry MF to wipe it off.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Okay, so here's what I'm looking at doing:

1. Replace lugs, use Simple Green on wheels and then clay, polish, wash
2. Zaino leather cleaner/cond
3. Super Glue
4. Clay, Polish, Wax -- I have some chips too, I saw some sites about filling them and wiping the excess using some special solution - is this legit (Dr. Color Chip)
5. Meguir's Quik Interior Detailer or 303 Aerospace

I really appreciate everyone's help! If you have any inputs or suggestions, let me know.

Anyone know where I can get new lugs from, cheap but similar to stock (or the same)?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help: Need to clean up a used car!