Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Please critique my detailing "wish list"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Please critique my detailing "wish list"

Hey guys, I need some guidance from all you car detailing pros out there, I'm a total noob when it comes to this. I'm planning on purchasing the following and just wanted to know what you guys thought, if there is something else I need or substitute for a better product. This will be my first time to detail any car at this level of intensity lol.

I have a 2005 Brilliant Silver G with light to moderate swirl marks. Car also gets parked outside 24/7/365.

I already have all the car washing/drying tools and meguaires clay bar kit

Here's what I plan on getting
  • Porter Cable 7424
  • 5" backing plate
  • 2x 5.5" CCS orange pad
  • 2x 5.5" CCS white pad
  • 2x 5.5" CCS gray pad
  • Poorboys SSR1
  • Poorboys SSR2
  • Poorboys EX-P sealant
  • P21S concourse carnuba wax

Thanks in advanced!

Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 PM
I personally find the smaller backing plate and smaller pads 4 inch pads are more versatile. It'll help you in tight corners and has more cut than the 5.5 pads. I love flat pads more as it seems that polish material gets stuck in the CCS pads and is at times a pain in the butt to remove when cleaning.

Infiniti clears are hard so having a stronger cutting combo of Porter Cable and 4 inch pads may work best for you. I personally haven't tried Poorboys but I love 3M and Menzerna.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:10 AM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by conesweeper
Hey guys, I need some guidance from all you car detailing pros out there, I'm a total noob when it comes to this. I'm planning on purchasing the following and just wanted to know what you guys thought, if there is something else I need or substitute for a better product. This will be my first time to detail any car at this level of intensity lol.

I have a 2005 Brilliant Silver G with light to moderate swirl marks. Car also gets parked outside 24/7/365.

I already have all the car washing/drying tools and meguaires clay bar kit

Here's what I plan on getting
  • Porter Cable 7424
  • 5" backing plate
  • 2x 5.5" CCS orange pad
  • 2x 5.5" CCS white pad
  • 2x 5.5" CCS gray pad
  • Poorboys SSR1
  • Poorboys SSR2
  • Poorboys EX-P sealant
  • P21S concourse carnuba wax

Thanks in advanced!
  • Porter Cable 7424
  • Backing Plate
  • Menzerna PO85RD
  • Menzerna P203S
  • Megs M105
  • 2 4" Green Pads
  • 2 4" Blue
  • 2 Purple Foamed Wool or 2 Orange
  • Collinite 915
  • Grit Guard
  • Halogen Lights (Lowe's)
  • Waffle Weave Drying Towel
  • 2 "No Name" Towels (Buffing off wax)
  • Maybe 6 All-Purpose MF's (Interior, wheels, misc.)
  • 4 Red Towels (Quick Detail, buffing off polish)
  • Quick Detailer
  • 303 Aerospace protectant (Trim Dressing)
  • Meg's APC
  • Meg's Hyperdressing (Wheel wells)
  • Tire Dressing of your choice
  • Steel Wool for exhaust tips (Lowe's)
  • Glass cleaner
  • Leather Master's Vital Conditioner
  • Leather Master's Cleaner
  • Folex (Lowe's)
  • Red Notched Applicator (Applying wax)
  • Various brushes for the inside of your wheels, getting in cracks in interior and engine, carpet etc.
  • ONR

Ok, so that is a very long list. This is most of the stuff I use in a complete average detail, and should be everything you need. This isn't a list of everything you NEED, but it gives you an idea of what you want. It's a lot better than me, placing a massive order, then I got my stuff and realized, oh ****, I need halogens to see the polish breaking down, oh **** I need something for wheel wells, etc. Collinite is also a good looking, long lasting wax which I am recommending since your car is always outside.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Cool thanks for the info guys. So I think I'm gonna modify my list to the following.
  • PC 7424
  • Backing plate
  • 2x flat 4" orange pad
  • 2x flat 4" white pad
  • 2x flat 4" gray pad
  • Menzerna PO203S
  • Menzerna PO85RD
  • Poorboy's World EX-P Sealant

Will I be ok with just using a sealant without a carnuba wax on top of that? Or rather, which one would provide me longer lasting protection, Poorboy EX-P sealant or Collinite 915 carnuba? I'm really trying to get the best while staying on my budget of $250 which I know is pretty low.

Oh and also, will I achieve better results by glazing after I polish with Menzerna or can I just skip that process?

Last edited by conesweeper; 05-31-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by conesweeper
Cool thanks for the info guys. So I think I'm gonna modify my list to the following.
  • PC 7424
  • Backing plate
  • 2x flat 4" orange pad
  • 2x flat 4" white pad
  • 2x flat 4" gray pad
  • Menzerna PO203S
  • Menzerna PO85RD
  • Poorboy's World EX-P Sealant

Will I be ok with just using a sealant without a carnuba wax on top of that? Or rather, which one would provide me longer lasting protection, Poorboy EX-P sealant or Collinite 915 carnuba? I'm really trying to get the best while staying on my budget of $250 which I know is pretty low.

Oh and also, will I achieve better results by glazing after I polish with Menzerna or can I just skip that process?
You can use a sealant without wax on top of it but the sealant will last much longer if you regularly apply a sacrificial layer of wax over it. I put another coat of wax on about every 45 days since I don't drive my car daily, meaning I don't have to wash it as often. Also a layer of wax over the sealant will give you a better shine and depth than just the sealant itself. If you are going to use a glaze then you need to put it on BEFORE the sealant. A glaze is primarily for shine and offers very little, if any, protection at all. The steps I did were: clay, medium polish, fine polish, glaze, sealant, wax. It's a LOT of work but to me it was worth it.