Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Should I repaint my new G35 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I repaint my new G35 Coupe?

Hi,

Three months ago, I bought a new 2004 infiniti g35 coupe that was delivered with 2 tiny rock chips in the hood and some minor marks in the center of the hood from this flying stones (only visible in certain light). 3 months later the front and rear bumpers got scratched in a parking accident. A sliver of the fender (the bottom part that meets the top of the bumper) got scraped as well. Insurance offered to pay to repaint the hood, bumpers, and fender. However I have reservations against breaking the factory paint of a brand new car and repainting it for such minor problems (with the exception of the bumpers, which really need it). I suggested that the bumpers be repainted while the tiny rock chips get touched up (and small scrapes if possible) and that they attempt first to polish off the sliver from the bottom of the fender and then touch it up. Is this wiser? Of course, the insurance will also give me back some money for saving them money - but I'm thinking about what's best for my new and quite expensive car.

I guess I'm asking, when is it worth breaking the factory paint on a brand new car and when is it not? I've heard that factory paint jobs are baked on at much higher temperatures than they can do in any top body shop and that it is always thicker so more protective (against future chips). I've also heard that no aftermarket paint job will ever be as good as the factory paint job. My car is at Amotos, which is probably the best body shop in San Dirego (they do Ferraris, Porches, etc.) Also, one should assume that a top body shop can fix such small things beyond what you can see, correct? Or should I just go ahead and let them repaint all the panels and have it returned to new? This is my first new car and so I am very ignorant about such matters - I'm learning as I go. Any of your kind help and advise would be appreciated. I want to do what's best for my car.

Please advise.

Respectfully yours,
AJ

Old 07-26-2004, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Should I repaint my new G35 Coupe?

My only reco would be, the sooner it is painted the better. After time, paint fades and although body shops can match the original color of the car, they can't match faded paint. At least if you do it now, it will match. I say you bought a new car and it should look like one. Just my $.02 If they are a good quality body shop, I would let them fix it. After the paint cures, I would look into getting a clear bra for your car.

2003 6MT Black Coupe, Premium Pkg. w/ Aero
20% tint all around, Aluminum Pedals