Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Apparently washing your car is a science...best ways for a quick wash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently washing your car is a science...best ways for a quick wash?

Hey guys, so apparently takign your car to a wash is a no-no. It's freezing out around here now but I want to get my car cleaned. There are some self-washes with power washing hoses (are t hese safe for my paint)?

Alternatively, back home I have one of those long foamy brushes that attach to a water hose that I can dip into soap and scrub the car with...but I'm worried it will leave scratches that will be particularly bad for my black paint.

Can someone give me a quick hint as to how I can effectively wash my car quickly outside without marring the finish? Ideally, it would take 15 minutes or less before I froze...in the summer, I plan on doing a much more thorough job. Also, this is exterior only. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2010, 01:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
Hey guys, so apparently takign your car to a wash is a no-no. It's freezing out around here now but I want to get my car cleaned. There are some self-washes with power washing hoses (are t hese safe for my paint)? yes those are fine for rinsing off the junk from the paint as a first step, you still need to hand wash it with a mitt/sponge to remove the stuff the PW doesnt

Alternatively, back home I have one of those long foamy brushes that attach to a water hose that I can dip into soap and scrub the car with...but I'm worried it will leave scratches that will be particularly bad for my black paint.throw it away and never look back!

Can someone give me a quick hint as to how I can effectively wash my car quickly outside without marring the finish? Ideally, it would take 15 minutes or less before I froze...in the summer, I plan on doing a much more thorough job. Also, this is exterior only. Thanks!quick and marfree are not compatible here. Use a product like ONR with a grout sponge, a couple WW drying towels, and some MF towels = fastest way IMO
see above

Old 01-20-2010, 01:51 AM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
^^^+1... it sux.. but if you want your car to look good for a long time... there will be no quick washes...especially black.. i've owned 5 black cars...

Old 01-20-2010, 02:26 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
^hahah suckers with black cars

In all honesty, winter is a test of how much you love your car. If you get in your car and your hand is so numb you didn't feel yourself turn the key, you love it.

http://www.detailedimage.com/

Old 01-20-2010, 07:19 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I totally agree with Eric on the ONR. I use it year round since I live in an apartment with no access to a hose. It works wonders.

BTW ONR is Optimum No Rinse, available from the link 4D posted above.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I agree with Eric that ONR is a great product to use for washing your car in the winter. QEW is another product as well. The one thing that I don't agree with Eric's post is NEVER NEVER NEVER use a sponge to wash your car. The sponge is a pourous material that holds all of the dirt and doesn't release it. Essentially you would be pushing that dirt all over your paint surface and scratching it. 100% sheepskin mitt is a much better choice.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:24 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
DIY car wash and a 2 bucket method. Thats how i wash my car when its colder than **** outside.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I agree with Eric that ONR is a great product to use for washing your car in the winter. QEW is another product as well. The one thing that I don't agree with Eric's post is NEVER NEVER NEVER use a sponge to wash your car. The sponge is a pourous material that holds all of the dirt and doesn't release it. Essentially you would be pushing that dirt all over your paint surface and scratching it. 100% sheepskin mitt is a much better choice.
I agree 10000% re not using a sponge.

Personally, I just rinse off the worst at a coin spray wash & wait for a mild day to break out the ONR.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 PM
the concept behind the grout sponge is that it is super soft and ok for the paint. also, the pores allow dirt to travel up in to the pores away from the paint while washing. Then, when back in the rinse bucket, you rinse it and watch all the dirt settle to the bottom of the bucket! I like them more than most other sponges, as do MANY other detailers...just check out autopia and search grout sponge!

I have tried chenille mitts, sheepskin (cheap meguiars one no longer made, which might be my problem), and grout sponges from home depot...GS worked best for me

Old 01-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks guys! Anyone so not lazy that they would be willing to post exact product names or links to products that I need to wash my car? Preferably something I can buy in the local autozone or something because I have a $10 off $25 coupon right now and I'd like to wash my car this weekend. I don't have anything except for rim cleaner and tire shine right now. So I need everything from the soap, to the type of towel I need for wet wiping and then drying, etc...anything I really need because I would always wash cars simply with brushes and a hose. I love this car too much to do that.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:54 PM
WW weave towels, the microfiber pack you can buy there, meguiars car soap, a bucket or two, a chenille mitt, window cleaner, and a QD

what I would do if you want to baby the car:
prerinse the car
wash the car
blot dry
take some QD and mist on the panel then dry completely

that should reduce the amount of marring you will get from the wash(less swirling)

Old 01-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Envious Eric
WW weave towels, the microfiber pack you can buy there, meguiars car soap, a bucket or two, a chenille mitt, window cleaner, and a QD

what I would do if you want to baby the car:
prerinse the car
wash the car
blot dry
take some QD and mist on the panel then dry completely

that should reduce the amount of marring you will get from the wash(less swirling)
Hey, what is QD? Also, do you use the microfiber cloths to blot dry? And when you say mist the QD on the panel, you mean the exterior or the interior dash? Also, what window cleaner do you suggest? I found that in my apartment, using just regular dish soap is best and leaves no streaks vs. Windex, which leaves TONS of streaks. Finally, I use the chenille mitt to do the actual wash--should I wipe in circles or straight up/down motions? Thanks guys!

Old 01-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Quick deatiler, it's a spray that usually has some carnauba in it. Protects the paint and takes away any small water marks left behind. Also makes the car super shiny

Old 01-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
this would be a pretty good starter setup, just pick up a waffleweave microfiber towel or two online or in the store (they come in yellow and blue and look like a crosshatched weave)
Amazon Amazon

but also look at the link 4DGS posted, they are a sponsor here I believe and can help you figure out what products to buy and how to apply them. That will probably be a more pricey method but will yield better results with more patience

Old 01-22-2010, 03:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DGS
^hahah suckers with black cars

In all honesty, winter is a test of how much you love your car. If you get in your car and your hand is so numb you didn't feel yourself turn the key, you love it.

http://www.detailedimage.com/
hahahah sooo true! black owner here and I just did a 6 hours mid-winter detail

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Apparently washing your car is a science...best ways for a quick wash?