Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Need advise for Painting my car.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advise for Painting my car.

Hey guys, im new here, I recently puschased manual 07 G35 Coupe with 15k miles for $11,000. the paint is faint on the hood, and some paint is pealing on the back bumper. The car is black, so i would need some advise on what kind of paint i should use, if i should sand down the part im gana use, or can i just take off the clear cote and repaint over the old paint?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:16 PM
WTF was wrong with the car other than the paint job for you to get it for that price?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
wow a 07 for $11k
you either got a sweet as$ deal of a lifetime
or your car has to have been in some sort
of accident.
thats crazy cheap

Old 02-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
car was probably totaled twice

Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think I've even seen clean 03's go for that little. As for the question, I'd definitely sand it first. It'll take a bit longer but it'll yield better results.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 PM
i thought i got a pretty good deal on my 05 in perfect condition for 19,500.

how is the paint already fading? the car is 2 maybe 3 years old.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's got to have a salvaged title...

Anyway, I would try taking it to a pro detailer first and seeing if he can wetsand and remove the fade.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 PM
wow 11gs ill give u 15 tomorrow if its right.... make 4gs in 24hrs....lol good deal as long as its straight. yea and do it right. if you dont know about body work i wouldnt do it yourself. paint honestly is a work of art when your dealing with high end cars. i sell cars so when i need a hood done or a bumper i juat get it done to blow it out as long as it looks ok. but i deal with 6k and below. what im tryin to say is if you dont know what your doin leave it to a professional. and it depens how bad it is. if the clear is flakin it should b striped all the way down, primed and the wet sandedfrom lk 1200, 1500, or 2000 wetsand paper to get the smoothest finish for the base coat (((( ITS ALL IN THE PREP WORK and then sombody who can SPRAY)))) and as far as product ppg is really good. and ppg clear that my opinion. but there are so many out there. and the bumpers if there not flackin or there are no scratchs in it that need to get fixed then just da it down with lk 420 or so or if it aint that bad you can just scratch pad it and spray it but for it to come out with out no tape marks remove as many parts your painting as possible. you have black (good as long as it is straight blk your good) this means it doesnt have to be blended.... all metalics need to be blened to match correctly.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:45 PM
o yea and fade cant be wetsanded out....i would take it somewhere if not put ALOT of CLEAR on it.... so you can wetsand your ***** off to get all the **** out of it....lol lol and then buff away and hope for the best.....

Old 02-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 856_reilly
wow 11gs ill give u 15 tomorrow if its right.... make 4gs in 24hrs....lol good deal as long as its straight. yea and do it right. if you dont know about body work i wouldnt do it yourself. paint honestly is a work of art when your dealing with high end cars. i sell cars so when i need a hood done or a bumper i juat get it done to blow it out as long as it looks ok. but i deal with 6k and below. what im tryin to say is if you dont know what your doin leave it to a professional. and it depens how bad it is. if the clear is flakin it should b striped all the way down, primed and the wet sandedfrom lk 1200, 1500, or 2000 wetsand paper to get the smoothest finish for the base coat (((( ITS ALL IN THE PREP WORK and then sombody who can SPRAY)))) and as far as product ppg is really good. and ppg clear that my opinion. but there are so many out there. and the bumpers if there not flackin or there are no scratchs in it that need to get fixed then just da it down with lk 420 or so or if it aint that bad you can just scratch pad it and spray it but for it to come out with out no tape marks remove as many parts your painting as possible. you have black (good as long as it is straight blk your good) this means it doesnt have to be blended.... all metalics need to be blened to match correctly.
Great grammar man.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:01 PM
didnt know we were in school!!! yea and not the best at it but didnt know it bothered you so much...... guess thats why i dont work in a hospital or a law office or a engineering firm get the picture.. ********...................................

Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 PM
If its not a write off, maybe it was a repo and sold in an auction...

Old 02-20-2010, 11:51 AM
I guess i forgot to mention that its not a clean title. other then some paint work. I do need to get ABS and VDC fixed. besides that there is no other problem, or at least that what I think. im bringing to a dealer next week for them to hook it up to a computer. so We'll see what the results are.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
Have you ever painted anything automotive before? And Im not talking about using a spray can either.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by 856_reilly
didnt know we were in school!!! yea and not the best at it but didnt know it bothered you so much...... guess thats why i dont work in a hospital or a law office or a engineering firm get the picture.. ********...................................
Who's the ********? Shut up and learn how to talk, nobody values your opinion when children are more grammatically correct then yourself.

OP, as long as the car passed inspection who cares! that's a solid deal. Get the hood and bumper resprayed. Won't be more than $500 for a good job.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need advise for Painting my car.