Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Buffer gone bad HELP pictures inside

Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buffer gone bad HELP pictures inside

Hey everyone, so i was trying to get into detailing and my friend has done some detailing before and has a buffer wheel. Anyways he was trying to show me how to use one and made me wipe off the hood of my car and he put wax on the buffer wheel and then started to buff next thing I know this happens

what is this crap? I immediately began to was the car continuously and also got a clay bar to try and get this stuff off. Its like glue or something? On the hood i got it smoothened out over some spots but the marks are still there. also on my bumper which we didnt buff has marks on it. Looks like glue or and its rock hard.. almost looks like its melted into some areas. It's also on my headlight and its rock hard there too.. I tried washing it about 10 times today and to no avail and also tried using a clay bar on the hard parts on the bumper to no avail can anyone help me or have a clue as to what this is? I'm so stressed.. just bought the car 3 days ago. Also he couldnt have burnt through the paint i dont think it was quick and he went slow

Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
daimm looks bad bro.... did he clean the pad on the buffer?? looks like scratches

Old 03-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn that looks bad and gives me the goosebumps when i look at it :P

Old 03-30-2011, 12:34 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Is it a residue or scratches??? Did they not appear till he was done with that side of the hood? Why didnt he stop?

Might try GOO Gone???

Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
yikes

Old 03-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
WOW! That looks messy. I tried buffing my car for the first time this weekend with a random orbital buffer and had the same issue, but not as bad. I went back and hand buffed the small blotches and they came off after some elbow grease. My theory is that the blotches may come from excessive wax/sealant when it's being applied and then heated by the buffer being in one spot for too long. I didn't see these marks in parts of the car where I went lite.

On another note: I also use the liquid clay bar and not the actual clay bar, the outcome is much much better and it's easier to work with. Also only use Collinate 845, which isn't the easiest to buff out.

BTW... I'm a true rookie at this, so you might want to ask in the detailing section. Experts live there. OOoops, you're already in this section.

Good luck

Last edited by Infiniti Chica; 03-30-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What kind of buffer was your friend using? Just like G35 Dream said...did he clean the buffer pad before use?

Post your pictures here... https://g35driver.com/forums/care-de...-detailer.html

Old 03-31-2011, 06:17 PM
hey everyone, have an update. I got a friend that works at a body shop he looked at it and said i'd have to get it out with wetsanding but some parts are through the clear coat.. he said my headlight should be fine and could be wetsanded out. Anyways i'll be painting the hood fender and bumper.. going to try and work out a deal with the body shop since i work at an auto shop and we deal with eachother all the time. Maybe can do some mechanical work for them in exchange for the paint job. Also he said there must of been compound on the buffer that was hardened and just dug into my paint.. i have splatter on my windshield hopefully i can get it off with a razor blade thanks to everyone who replied and helped me out.. was pretty stressed and although the worst thing came out of it which is paint at least i know what i have to do now and can get it fixed

Old 04-02-2011, 04:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ahhh man! :[ Good luck! Did your friend take any responsibility?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
What are these marks? Are they scratches in the clear coat or is it something left on top of the clear coat? The more information about them the better we can help.

Greg

Old 04-03-2011, 03:08 PM
it's hard to tell they seem like marks in the paint i cant feel them on the hood but my body friend said that there were scratches through the clear coat so i'll need paint

Old 04-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts
Looks like the pad had a chunk of metal on it or the "wax" was actually some sort of glue.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by strykez
Also he said there must of been compound on the buffer that was hardened and just dug into my paint..
No pro here, but that would be my guess -- pad was not remotely clean.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
time to find a new friend.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
once again what kind of buffer? Rotorary? or a DA? No one can help till we know what kind of buffer your talking about..

Looks like you picked up a Rotorary to me which takes lots of practice and work to use correctly and if not used correctly which looks like what happened you will burn the clear or put scratches in it just what it looks like you did.

Also the pad might have been too aggressive as well which. Wet sanding will prob help but not 100% if its past the clear. Wet sanding also will remove a significant portion of the clear so that spot you wet sand will have less clear coat than the rest of the car.

Wet sanding is always a LAST resort!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buffer gone bad HELP pictures inside