Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

My paint looks good, should I buff anyways?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
My paint looks good, should I buff anyways?

I just picked up my first polisher. I got a http://www.autogeek.net/flex-car-polishers.html.

Now I am interested in getting a few minor scratches out so I know I need to do some buffing, but I really don't notice any swirl marks. I got my car clayed/buffed/polished a year ago and have been very carefully hand washing it.

I was wondering, should I just buff out the scratches and go right to polishing? Or would you recommend using a low abrasive pad/compound on the rest of the car?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by _RR_
I just picked up my first polisher. I got a http://www.autogeek.net/flex-car-polishers.html.

Now I am interested in getting a few minor scratches out so I know I need to do some buffing, but I really don't notice any swirl marks. I got my car clayed/buffed/polished a year ago and have been very carefully hand washing it.

I was wondering, should I just buff out the scratches and go right to polishing? Or would you recommend using a low abrasive pad/compound on the rest of the car?
Polish the whole car. It's not possible regardless how careful you were, for there not to be swirls. If it's been a year since it's been polished, there's going to be swirls. If the swirling is VERY light, go with white LC pad and some Menzerna 106ff. Compound is VERY aggressive and it's NOT something you should use if it's only light scratches you have. Rule of thumb is to ALWAYS start with the least aggressive method and work your way up as needed.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Silver is harder to look for swirls, You need to get the car out in the BRIGHT sun or a BRIGHT light and look at it at all angles. You need to see what imperfections you have before you start to polish.

Polishing blindly is dumb