Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Headlight Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sport package coupe, 1JZ swap
Headlight Help

My headlights are two stubborn SOB's. No matter what i do or how how much of it i do the yellowed part and fog just doesn't seem to completely go away. Ive tried several headlight restoration kits and a few DIY sanding processes and they still have this fog that is more clearly visible when the lights are on and they turn greenish, also, when the lights are on. they look ALMOST completely clear when they're off (besides the fact that I haven't waxed them and sealed them yet) but when they're on they're hideous. Is this fixable? or is the yellow and fog just a fault in the plastic and completely saturated through it? If it's fixable i am baffled on what steps to take next or should I just say screw it and get new lenses. if it's the latter where can I get just the lenses because i can't seem to find them anywhere and would rather not have to get a new set of headlights. any insight on the matter is greatly appreciated

Attached Thumbnails Headlight Help-img_1129.jpg   Headlight Help-img_1130.jpg   Headlight Help-img_1131.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
From my experience, if you haven't been able to restore them back to a factory look and feel with the methods you've tried, you may be out of luck. At least I've never been able to completely restore a set of old headlights.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Do you know where to find new lenses? or am I looking at a new set of lights all together?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
You probably won't find just lenses, unless someone on here parts ways with theirs.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Any chance it's a build up on the inside of the lens?

Greg @ DI

Old 05-14-2012, 01:08 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Any chance it's a build up on the inside of the lens?

Greg @ DI
I had this on the inside of my lens. You can either bake them open and clean them, or just buy a new set..

Old 10-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Don't know if anybody cares anymore but I baked the old ones open and tried cleaning the insides to no avail. Still foggy. It actually seemed to make them more yellow. Also, the exact same sanding process that scratched my headlights to hell worked flawlessly on my friends sentra. I guess the plastic on the G35 headlights are softer or something and the process of baking the headlights open induced some chemical reaction that yellowed it. maybe the wax i put on it? Anyways, I gave up and got some anzo usa projector halo headlights. Looks so much better now.

New - Old Comparison

Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ugh, I cant pull up the pics here at work, but I would like to give a little bit of my insite to getting these head lights looking there best. (I know Im bringing up a lot of old subjects.. My bad)

But, one of the things that I have noticed about Infiniti headlights, is particularly the plastic. It is very prone to accumulating Oxidation. That is the yellow tint that it gets in about a month or so. I guess kinda like a few years back when the Camaros couldnt keep a layer of clear coat to save the cars life.

What I have done to try and extend the amount of time between headlights cleanings, is use a high speed buffer with an 8,000 grit pad and ultra fine cutting compound, it will bring it back to the factory crystal clear look again. But, then you are not done yet. Next is to add a generous amount of wax, and let sit for at least a half an hour and polish. And a good rule of thumb for wax, is when it is good and dry; You should be able to gently run your finger over it, and completely take off the layer of wax and see the shine beneath it. If it is not entirely dry, the wax will ball up and not be able to be wiped off easily.

If I get the plastic a little bit too hot and happen to get a buffer burn. DO NOT FREAK OUT!! All you have to do is just stop, let it cool down and then get some 1,500 or preferably 2,000 grit wet sand paper, and get it wet, and gently sand until it is to a dull (but clear) look. Then try buffing again at a slower speed and massage until gone.

It usually last about a month or more before it goes right back to being yellow. I dont think that there is any permenant fix for this, but if there is I will definately share it. Because I am constantly looking for ways to DIY and save a little money here and there.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...lant-idea.html

I haven't done it yet, but it seems to give results that last a long time. I'm about to do it to an old set of headlights I'm putting quad projectors in.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by jkuo
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...lant-idea.html

I haven't done it yet, but it seems to give results that last a long time. I'm about to do it to an old set of headlights I'm putting quad projectors in.
Yea, I like the idea of putting a layer of clear coat.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:47 PM
i might try this on the old ones just to see if it works incase is decide to sell them. hopefully the plastic on the aftermarket ones stay shiny and clear longer than the stock ones.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:22 AM
once you get the yellowing out, you need to reclear, not wax. Waxing with aid in the yellowing due to the chemical makeup of it.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 AM
I agree with the clear coat, but not entirely with the wax aiding in the lights becoming yellow again.

However, I do like the idea of buffing the lights until crystal clear again, and then a coat or two of clear, and THEN on top of that, a good layer of wax!

Old 11-01-2012, 02:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine look the same.I haven't tried cleaning them from the inside but people are saying you have to clean monthly? wtf -__-
Does anyone know if it is it just the 03-05 headlights in particular?

Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by LxV Socal
Mine look the same.I haven't tried cleaning them from the inside but people are saying you have to clean monthly? wtf -__-
Does anyone know if it is it just the 03-05 headlights in particular?
Yes, in my opinion it is just the particular plastic that they used for these years. I dont think cleaning them from the inside will do anything, because it is just oxidation build up on the outside of the lens.