Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Scratches from Cali Duster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratches from Cali Duster

I found about the Cali duster from one of the member here and heard rev review from almost all others so I bought one a few months back.
I have been using it since then regularly.

Recently I noticed scrtaches on my G that seem to be from using the Cali Duster. The reason is that I do not seem to remember seeing them before. The other clue these new scrtaches are stright and not circular in nature similar to the motion how I use the Cali duster on the car. I typically use it twice a week and it seems to do a great job but these scratches seem to have put a damper.
Btw. my car is black so Cali Duster is great help in taking the dust off but on the other hand the scratches are very easy to spot on black color too.
Anyone has similar issue? or if anyone thinking I am using it incorrectly.

Thanks

Old 04-17-2005, 06:42 PM
try using your cali duster on a blank cd in the same way you'd use it on your car. if it causes scratches on the blank cd then you probably shouldn't use it on your car.

Old 04-17-2005, 07:07 PM
I don't think you can mess up how you use the Cali Duster, but the Cali duster can have negative effects. I'm an online retailer of products and I contacted them about their products but decided not to carry them after further review. If the brush or your car is not extremely clean then it can leave little micro scratches like you seemingly have. I also don't carry their drying blade for the very same reason. I don't suggest you keep using it and maybe start using a quick detailer if you need that clean look regularly. It definitely takes a little longer but it can give you and even better look. Just spray the quick detailer on the car and buff off with a clean microfiber towel and it should leave it looking super clean and shinny. Any quick detailer should be perfect for this http://secure.detailedimage.com/Merc...gory_Code=Clay.
And for those scratches you might need some polish to buff them all out, Poorboy's World Super Swirl Removers (1, 2, 2.5, 3) work great http://secure.detailedimage.com/Merc...ry_Code=Polish. Good luck to you!

Old 04-18-2005, 03:09 PM
My dad swears that the Cali-Duster is the greatest invention of all time...granted that it works great the first few times you use it. But, as Punch stated earlier, its not guaranteed if not clean. And yes it does scratch. When I got my old EG6 shot with White with Blue pearl, the shop's 2nd rule was DO NOT USE A DUSTER ON YOUR PAINT. They have a good reason for that rule. Its a DAMN GOOD CAR, so dont half-a** your car care. Do it right bro.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Call the Cops
screw the cali-duster

yea it removes dirt, but the paint looks like **** afterwards.

Old 04-19-2005, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by BBB
screw the cali-duster

yea it removes dirt, but the paint looks like **** afterwards.
I disagree... The duster does not cause trouble when used properly. The trick is not to apply presure which can cause the problem stated above.
I use the large California Super Duster which lets me cover large areas with less work and does not leave marks on my paint (DG).

To each his/her own I guess..

Old 04-19-2005, 04:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It shouldnt scratch your car if you press lightly and if the car is only dusty and not dirty. If your car is dirty, then of course it will scratch. A good way to avoid microcratches from it is by keeping your car waxed for the extra protection. I've been using it on my tb coupe and its been great...no scratch problems

Old 04-19-2005, 05:57 PM
I've used the Cali duster on my Emerald Mist 2003.5 for over 18 months and have had NO scratches or swirls from it. The reason I can honestly say this is because I have NO swirls or scratches at all on my car. I also park it in the driveway all the time, but keep it really clean. I wash it every Sat, and use Z-6 between washes. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Old 04-21-2005, 08:55 PM
I think the cali duster may not be a good idea on a black G. The paint is too soft and black shows even the lightest scratches. Most people who have had sucess with the duster seem to have lighter colored cars, which do not show light scratches as easily.

I suggest using a waterless wash instead. Don't just use any Quick Detailer. Most are designed to remove only light dust without marring. One great product is poorboys Spray and Wipe. It has special cleaners and lubricants that help you avoid marring, of course you will need some high quality microfibers also.

avoiding all scratches is impossible. If you want perfection get a Porter CAble polisher or be ready to pay your detailer $350 every 6 months to buff your car.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by soG35
...If you want perfection get a Porter CAble polisher or be ready to pay your detailer $350 every 6 months to buff your car.
Damn, that much huh? When i got my G, the dealership got me free detailing every 6 months as long as im under the 7 year warranty. Part of the package when i got it. Anyone else get the same deal when they got their G? Im wondering if its only offered at certain dealerships...mine is Redwood City Infiniti. Holla

Old 04-23-2005, 12:39 AM
WRAH
I don't like the idea of removing dust w/ phyical contact to the car.

But whats wrong with the water blade? If you keep both clean, there will never be a problem. I've owned two black cars since '97 and never had a scratch from the water blade!

Old 04-25-2005, 04:12 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Exclamation Not for me!

Think about this for a moment, you are picking up and moving "dust" which is made up of "dirt" that is out on the road. What is the "dirt" made up of? Fine crushed "rock". What is the "rock" made up of? One ingredient is quartz. What is glass made from? Right on. What is the Mohs hardness of quartz? About 7. What is the hardness of glass? Right again, 5-6. What is the hardness of "clear coat"? It damn sure ain't more than 5!

So you pick up this "dust" and it sticks to the "duster" and you drag is across your nice clear coat. I don't care how "light" you dust, you are going to scratch it.

See this link and you will see the hardness scale:

Mohs Hardness Scale

Old 04-26-2005, 10:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As others have stated before, you must be able to determine whether your car is dusty or dirty. Only the finest layers of dust should be removed with the Cali Duster.

Please don't go to the dealer for their "details." More often than not they'll do more harm than good.

Also, $350 for any detailer sounds extremely high. Depending on where you live, you should be able to find a reputable one for $150-$200 all depending on what you want, just paint...engine....interior....or whatever extras.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:31 AM
I think determining if your car is dusty or dirty is way too ambigous. Also I think it would be hard to determine if the entire car was dirty or just dusty. I would think certain parts could be dirty and some dusty. Either way I don't think a Cali Duster is a good idea. Im sure some people have used it and not caused any scratches but I park outside and their is no chance i'll be using it.

A quality detail will run you about $350. I do a basic in and out for $200 but that doesn't get you any coats of polish, engine detailing, wheels detailed, claying or anything like that.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:39 AM
I have a black G and have no problem I actually love the Cali duster. The duster will though scratch your car if it contains harsh particles from being used on dirt that is caked on your G or if the duster itself has been contaminated by ie. being put on the floor or left in a dirty place. Maybe you just need to wash the duster. For me the duster is the $hit and makes my life much easier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Scratches from Cali Duster