Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Front Windshield Pit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Windshield Pit

Hi there,

I was wondering if any of you had solutions for pits in the front windshield. I have to drive on the 401 alot so I am prone to these from the big rigs. Can anyone recommend a solution to have these repaired? The major places like Speedy Auto Glass advise me that they cannot be repaired. Can anyone concur.

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can help you out.

I live and drive in the Colorado mountains. Someone came up with the great idea to use sand on the roads which means gravel. I just bought a new Suburban for deliveries and within a month had two big spots in the windshield. One from the 405 and one picked up locally on I-70. They were about the size of a dime. Look in the phone book for windshield repair and you will find a lot of people who can help.

The process involves forcing some kind of epoxy into the glass with a strange looking machine. It takes about 10 min per spot but is almost invisible when they are finished. You need to do it as soon after the pit as possible before it spreads. Most insurance companies will pay for the repair because it is a lot cheaper than replacing the whole window, and the repair lasts longer than the windshield.

If you are talking about the real little pits that you can't see until you drive into the sun, the only repair I have found is new glass.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add glass insurance to your policy and swap out your glass once a year...