Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

polishing the tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
polishing the tires?

not even sure if thats the right term lol..

what supplies/creams/waxes do i need to treat the tires so they are nice and shiny, while im at it, what utensils do i need to wash the rims?

this weekend if not earlier ill give my car a nice bath and i want to make sure i got everything to make it immaculate

Old 05-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Go to www.meguiars.com They have a list of all their products and for what the use is for. If you need advice they have a hotline to contact as well. I like using the nxt products. But i've found at sam's club and costco they have this tire shine called "NO TOUCH" it's about $9 for four spray cans. Definitely worth the money. The shine is pretty lasting as well. If you need wax for your wheels check out WheelWax i heard it's great! I plan on using some myself. There should be a group buy in this forum. Hope this info helps i'm new to detailing myself (1st black car). Oh yeah and any wheel brush is good for your wheels but make sure the bristles aren't too rough and a seperate tire brush to clean the tires. There i think i've said a mouthful.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:09 AM
ill grab some brushes when i visit pep boys next time.. i saw some megiar's at pep boys when i was there and i think there were 3 different cans of tire treatment thats why i didnt get it.. didnt know which one to get

Old 05-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Wow pep boys is still around? In Houston it seems we have like 2 stores all of which aren't convenient to get to. But they have good products to browse through. And yeah Meguiar's does have a buttload of different products it gets confusing i know but you're on the right track doing your research and all you're helping answer some of my questions too..hahaah

Old 05-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Old 05-06-2005, 03:18 AM
I used Meguire's last time I washed my car and it worked great--kept the shine for about 2 weeks. My dealer recommended using glycerine, but I haven't tried it yet.

Old 05-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got meguiars NXT on my tires now. It's not super shiny which is why i like it. Been on there over a week so far. Still looks good. And what's also going through our mild rain we've had.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:29 PM
I detail professionally and I take my wheel care very serious. Here is my routine to get them clean, shining and protected. I know this sounds like a lot but this is what you have to do the first time to get them clean, then the regular maintenance is much less. I use a completely safe wheel degreaser from Poorboys http://secure.detailedimage.com/Merc...ory_Code=Wheel to break up the brake dust, road grime, etc. I let that sit for a couple of minutes and then rinse it off. I then apply p21s wheel gel http://secure.detailedimage.com/Merc...ory_Code=Wheel that clings to all surfaces, clean it with a very gentle brush or with microfiber towel. Now rinse off the remaining gel and build up and dry the wheels. Dry the wheels well with a microfiber and don't forget to blow out the lug nuts and other places water pools at. This will get most of the dirt, road grime, etc off. If you don't get it all don't worry the next step will. I use the p21s finish restorer http://secure.detailedimage.com/Merc...ory_Code=Wheel with a polishing microfiber. This should polish the wheels to a high shine and get all contamination off the wheel and leave an amazing shine on the wheel. Even though the wheel looks like a million bucks now we're not done yet. I finish them off with Poorboys Wheel Wax http://secure.detailedimage.com/Merc...ory_Code=Wheel , this seals in the shine and protects the tire from future accumulation. Just apply a very small amount of wheel wax (just like regular waxing) and buff it off. I can't tell you how many people skip this step and have dirty wheels all over again in a couple of weeks. This whole process take about an hour or more depending on how bad your wheels are but it's definitely worth it for the look and the protection. Hope this was helpful and not too much info. Let me know if you have any more questions I can help you with.