Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How do I "debadge".

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 12:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do I "debadge".

I've never pulled the emblems off cars. However I like the look of the "skyline" vs. "infiniti". I got a decent price on ebay($35 shipped) so I went for it. Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there any "trick" to debadging the g, or do I just yank the letters off? Also, does it matter that I have had the car for two months?

Old 07-27-2003, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How do I "debadge".

basicaly u just rip them off but u can get some dental floss and somthing to heat it up then u just rub off the remaning adhesive

god luck let us know how it goes

Old 07-27-2003, 10:27 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

yah like carlos said, heat is what you need, floss is not really needed. so try a hair dryer to warm up the area. if you have a hardtime pulling the letters off, i recommend a credit card.
basically just pull them off slowly as to not leave behind any glue.
if any is left behind, just rub it off with your fingers.
when applying the new stickers, make sure you clean the area very well with alcohol before sticking on the new stickers.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/Grounding Kit

Old 07-27-2003, 04:37 PM

I debadged my car the day I got it. After some time it becomes more difficult to get off cleanly. The best thing to get the excess goo off is Goo Gone. That's what I use.

Old 07-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never been big on debadging but after waxing my trunk a few times I think the letters are coming off real soon.

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT, nav, & aero
Jax, FL

Old 07-28-2003, 01:14 AM

1. Use hairdryer to warm up letters. Get them good and warm.
2. Use dental floss to get behind the letters and adhesive. By no means will all the adhesive come off, but it is a good start.
3. Use your fingers to pull and roll off the rest of the adhesive.
4. Use WD40 to help you get off the tough adhesive. Use a microfiber or cotton towel to wipe off the excess WD. Then maybe wash the area to remove the rest.

That's it, your G now has an extra clean look!

[i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport & Debadged

Old 07-28-2003, 01:29 AM

Ok, I did it.....not without significant difficulty, but it got done. Removing the letters was not difficult, but removing the glue was a b#%$h. However, all the rubbing left behind a significant haze. I was able to deal with the haze by going through the entire Zaino process. There is still a shadow of the infiniti letters from certain angles. Its difficult to see, but it is still there. Any advice?

Also, how do you make sure that your new letters line up correctly(although I suppose it will not be a problem if the shadow letters are still there.)?

BTW, thanks for the responses so far.

Old 07-28-2003, 03:38 PM

The adhesive definitly was not easy. The rubbing left me with nasty blisters on the tips of my fingers.
Luckily, I have no haze from the old letters. I did have a couple of marks in the paint that the "G35" left, but nothing I can do about that. Not really sure what to do about the haze.
I would place your new lettering based on where your old was located. Or perhaps your dealer had done lettering and has a more exact process...

[i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport & Debadged

Old 07-29-2003, 05:34 AM

Well considering you are replacing infiniti with skyline (8 letters vs. 7) you may have difficulty lining it up according to the exsisting shadows. I'd suggest messuring it out and doing it the right way.

Old 07-29-2003, 02:57 PM

Can someone post pictures of the "clean" look the car has once it is de-badged?

Old 08-01-2003, 10:29 AM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah use the hairdryer technique. May I suggest after you have the badges and the adhesive off you are going to need to wax and compound the area because the paint is going to be a slightly different color. I suggest using Presta Chrmoa 1500 because if you screw up it won't hurt your paint. I love this stuff, It's pink and it will remove any grime from the paint surface even swirls. Use a microfiber towel or an old t-shirt. Put it on the rag, and rub it into the area with light pressure until it rubs and and than buffs off. Dont leave it on and buff it off like wax. After that I follow up with some Preast Fast Wax. It's like liquid wax, goes on really easy and comes off really easy. Use a sponge to put it on, as soon as you finsh the panel buff it off. It dries really fast and it can even be used in DIRECT sunlight. I found this wax to be the best on the black G. It takes off everything, leaves the best shine I have seen, and BARELY any dust sticks to it after 2 full days of driving. After that the little bit of dust on the car starts to attract dust. Also the fast wax, it takes about maybe 30 minutes to wax your entire car top to bottom after you know how to use it. Also, I will fix my broken image tonight.. hehe.

anyway... woot!

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 08-06-2003, 01:31 PM

I was wondering, if you debadge the Infiniti or g35 letters, would it be possible difficul to put them back on if you ever wanted to? Would you be able to find an adhesive material somewhere to do this?

Thanks.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:41 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

yeah, cake...

funny thing is when i debadged my car, i left the letters on the ground in the driveway, ran them over a couple of times, then somehow the 3 dissappeared, so now i have a G5 haha... it looks better debadged anyway, why would you ever want to stick it back on? is it a lease? i dont think they will care about that.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 08-06-2003, 09:20 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

For those of you who asked...i had posted this before of mine debadged.

83890-Debadged02.JPG

Old 08-09-2003, 12:48 AM

Just a quick followup.....

I had some haze....almost an outline of "infiniti" when I took the letters off. The outline, after a few weeks of car washes and Zaino, is almost entirely gone. In fact, others cannot see it until I actually touch it with my finger. It still bothers me and I hope it goes away entirely.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do I "debadge".