Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

to wax or not to wax

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a Zaino user on my black sedan, but switched to NXT last summer. I can see no difference in longevity, but its half the price and twice as easy to apply and remove. Do it every 3 months or so, and I do the Dawn dishsoap strip before each application. After 3 1/2 years, paint looks new other than the rockchips up front.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wax fer sure. U can't hurt anything by making your paint surface smooth

Old 03-27-2006, 12:51 PM
For me it's every month during the summer months in Atlanta, but during the winter, I probably do it every 3 months. My car is garaged at home and work and I use spray on wax and quick detailer in between waxes.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:54 PM
WAX IT.

I gave my G35 4 coats of ZAINO when I got it last March 05. I gave it one more coat in September 05 and have not did it since. The car still looks like i just got it & waxed it. I just purchased some more ZAINO last month and will be giving it a few coats sometime in Spring. This is the best any car i owned looked after a NY winter. I can only assume that ZAINO helped.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Lets see, I usually wax near the begining of every month with NXT (makes TB shine like no other). Ill dust once a day, clean the wheels every other day and then use a QD atleast once a week. That combo keeps my car spotless most of the time.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Zaino is the best stuff ever. Don't ever wax your car use a polish instead like Zaino.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:49 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
I wax my car lik 1nce a month!
If i notice a large buildup, i wash it with polmolive and then re-wax it.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:03 PM
I use a spray on wax every time I wash the car and I wash it at least every two weeks (damn the brake dust). But it is part of the Griots Garage wax system (Paint Sealer, wax and spray on wax). Every six months, I strip off all wax and sealer and start all over again.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by onin24eagle
Zaino is the best stuff ever. Don't ever wax your car use a polish instead like Zaino.
Zaino isn't a polish, it's a sealant. They market it as a polish because people who don't know any better can associate with that word more readily than sealant. Zaino is a fine product, but what is the best depends very much on what you're trying to accomplish.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:10 PM
I guess I'll go with the Zaino, I mostly need something to protect the finish...
How about application of Zaino, just put it on a 100% cotton rag and wipe it in? Do I have to worry about getting it on other parts of the car? I.E. Will it come off the glass on the sunroof easily? How about the black roof liner?

Old 03-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Triji
You haven't waxed it yet?????

wow, GET TO WAXING!!!

Whoever said waxing was a waste of time should get their **** kicked! thats total BS, especially on silver... Silvers are proned to oxidation and should be waxed regularly to protect them from the suns rays.

I might be a bit overkill but I wax at least once a month if not a bit more. I like keeping my car nice, protected and clean looking.

I use NXT and P21S and I LOVE both of those products... I can wax my whole car in about an hour and I love the results, it is time well worth spending.
Do you layer the combo NXT and P21S?

Old 03-27-2006, 06:03 PM
I don't know how u guys have the time to wax the cars once a month....i guess i must be working too hard with way too many hours ......

every 6 months or so.....i do it before winter every year....

Old 03-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeButcher
I guess I'll go with the Zaino, I mostly need something to protect the finish...
How about application of Zaino, just put it on a 100% cotton rag and wipe it in? Do I have to worry about getting it on other parts of the car? I.E. Will it come off the glass on the sunroof easily? How about the black roof liner?
It'll come off glass no problem, just avoid plastic trim if you can. I apply it using a foam applicator, but a soft cotton towel will work too. Just mix with ZFX per instuctions, apply, let haze, then buff off. Remember to apply as thin as possible.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:02 PM
At least 3 times a year for me: before and after rainy season, and before the hot, sunny weeks in summer. Sometimes more if I feel the need for it. Have always used Meguiar's Gold Class, but I'll have to look into this NXT stuff everyone is raving about...

Old 03-27-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm big into Zaino ... been using it for 4 years on my Acura. It definitely works better on darker colours. My bro's (former) C32 used Zaino too but he had brilliant silver, like yourself. I thought he was wasting his time with Zaino but his car did look shiny afterwards...

If you're going to Zaino it, be sure to get the whole kit ... Z1, Z2, Z3 (soap) and the applicator for sure. You'll have to use Dawn (dishwashing soap) to strip any wax and debris off the paint first. Clay down your car then wash it with Dawn again. Apply a thin layer of Z1 ... wait a bit (10 minutes) and then apply Z2 (very thin layer ... like a haze). Get a big white 100% cotton towel and remove the Z2. Your car will look beautiful. Wait a day and wash with Z3. Put on another coat of Z2 ... you're good for at least 2-3 months. The Z6 does make the car look really 'wet' (that's done between Z2 coats) but that's optional. I use it and get fantastic results.

Aside: I use Zaino on my windshield instead of other products to keep it visible when it's raining / foggy out. Works like a charm! Just be sure to have temps > 15C out (60F to Americans) so that the Zaino will cure properly.

I'm a big Zaino fan but Meguiar's NXT looks really good (but doesn't last as long).

Last edited by jdm_inspire; 03-27-2006 at 08:24 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: to wax or not to wax