Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

cleaning your engine bay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleaning your engine bay?

hey guy

did ne1 wash there engine bay or engine on the g

if so howd u do it?

Old 05-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya i would like to know also, myn is real dusty, i dont wanna spray degreaser on it..

Old 05-04-2006, 12:28 AM
THE BATMOBILE
i use WD40 and windex and wipe it down.........works like a charm

Old 05-04-2006, 02:02 AM
i use windex too...works well

Old 05-04-2006, 05:16 AM
Honda - Spray Cleaner - I used to use it all the time on my bike(s). I had some left so I used it on the engine bay. Works great.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Anyone ever use some sort of degreaser and then spray it down? Is it safe to spray water on the engine?

Old 05-04-2006, 08:25 AM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know where I heard/read this, but its not recommended that you take a hose to the engine bay. If your bent on using water, just wet a rag and go over the bay with it and then dry it with another rag. I would use the WD40 and Windex like others have stated.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by RXM
I don't know where I heard/read this, but its not recommended that you take a hose to the engine bay. If your bent on using water, just wet a rag and go over the bay with it and then dry it with another rag. I would use the WD40 and Windex like others have stated.
That's why the engine bay is hermetically sealed. Your engine is made out of a complex molecule derived from sugar and will dissolve if it is exposed to water.

Of course you can spray your engine bay with water. What do you think happens when it rains and you are driving? Try not to spray directly into the altenator and try not to do it when it is hot. Although neither of those things will mess stuff up. If you do put any chemicals to degrease be careful of your altenator, wrap it in aluminum foil to protect it. (Don't forget to remove it after you have finished cleaning) and plastics and rubber can be sensitive to some chemicals. Other than that... clean away. I wash mine, all the bits I can reach with my hand, with Zaino car wash. WD-40 works well on the greasy parts. You can then wax the underside of hood and all painted parts. I finish by applying 303 to the plactic. Viola'. Nice and clean.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:11 AM
English dude, English
What about those with the Stillen SC???? I'm afraid that any chemicals would harm the belts causing slippage. What do you think?

Old 05-04-2006, 09:15 AM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by binar
That's why the engine bay is hermetically sealed. Your engine is made out of a complex molecule derived from sugar and will dissolve if it is exposed to water.

Of course you can spray your engine bay with water. What do you think happens when it rains and you are driving? Try not to spray directly into the altenator and try not to do it when it is hot. Although neither of those things will mess stuff up. If you do put any chemicals to degrease be careful of your altenator, wrap it in aluminum foil to protect it. (Don't forget to remove it after you have finished cleaning) and plastics and rubber can be sensitive to some chemicals. Other than that... clean away. I wash mine, all the bits I can reach with my hand, with Zaino car wash. WD-40 works well on the greasy parts. You can then wax the underside of hood and all painted parts. I finish by applying 303 to the plactic. Viola'. Nice and clean.

No need for the sarcasm bro...I was just relaying something that I heard/read before on the forums. I'm assuming that in the thread I had come across had good reason for telling people not to spray the engine with a hose. Obviously as you stated, you shouldn't get the alternator wet, which would probably be hard if you used a hose and didn't know to cover it. In anycase, as binar stated, your engine won't dissolve from the water. And here I thought that it would sprout some grass if you got it wet How foolish of me.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:49 AM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I use a citrus based degreaser sprayed liberally on there, let it soak for 15 minutes, scrub any tough spots, and hose down. I just cover up my intake filter. Just try not to direct any high pressure spray onto the alternator & wiring.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Another option is Simple Green, Cleaner/Degreaser

Old 05-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Warm, not hot, engine, spray with Oil Eater, let sit for about 5 - 10 minutes, rinse off thoroughly with a gentle spray from a hose avoiding the alternator and distributor. Follow up with whatever makes you happy to shine up the wires and hoses or just leave them as they are.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by RXM
No need for the sarcasm bro...I was just relaying something that I heard/read before on the forums. I'm assuming that in the thread I had come across had good reason for telling people not to spray the engine with a hose. Obviously as you stated, you shouldn't get the alternator wet, which would probably be hard if you used a hose and didn't know to cover it. In anycase, as binar stated, your engine won't dissolve from the water. And here I thought that it would sprout some grass if you got it wet How foolish of me.
Sorry no offense meant. I was trying to be funny. Sometimes it doesn't work.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrlesmd
Anyone ever use some sort of degreaser and then spray it down? Is it safe to spray water on the engine?
Simple Green Automotive cut 2:1 with water is what I use. Make sure to get the automotive version guys, the regular version will dry out rubber.

I like to cover intakes and electrics with tinfoil, soak the area with simple green auto, let it dwell while agitating tough areas, then spray with a light mist of water and clean everything. Get in the car, fire it up for 5 min to dry, then dress with a dressing like 303 or Dress-It-Right.

Cheers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: cleaning your engine bay?