Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

DIY Smoked Side Markers W/PICS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Smoked Side Markers W/PICS

I just finished spraying my side markers with a transparent window tint spray called Model Master. The manufacturer is Testors and the color is called "Transparent Black Window Tint" Item number 2949. The product link is <a href="http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1019">here</a>.

Since I just finished last night, installed them this morning, and haven't driven at all with them I have no idea what the durability will be, but to the touch it seems to be pretty durable. The shade you see here came after applying 6 light coats of spray with 40-60 minutes between coats. It took the whole 3oz can to do both side markers. In direct sunlight almost no orange hue is present. The finish is glossy, but not as glossy as well polished paint, plastic, or glass. Anyway, here are the pics. (There are 15 relatively large pictures so be patient).

Old 09-14-2003, 09:39 PM
Re: DIY Smoked Side Markers W/PICS

Very Nice! I used Testors model paint like that (transparent red) over a silver base on our old S-10 Blazer's front badge, and it held up pretty well for a while, but eventually the bugs got to it. The great thing is, if it chips, you can just repaint it. I think that will look very nice on my wife's Balck G!

Old 09-14-2003, 10:16 PM

Looks good except that your coat is so heavy, that a lot of light is going to be blocked from showing. From pic #1, you can get a good idea of what I'm talking about.

-Blk/Blk G35c

Old 09-14-2003, 11:12 PM

that looks great...one question tho was HOW DO U post pics?...k thanks

Old 09-15-2003, 12:25 AM

Looks good. Are your wheels black chrome? If they are, where did you get it done and how much?

G35C Blk, 6MT, Lthr, Aero, Prem

Old 09-15-2003, 01:23 PM

does it still light up orange? and how much of the orange can you see when they light up. Nice rims by the way... how much you pay to get them done like that?

Old 09-15-2003, 01:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its different. I could see how the people with black might really dig that. BTW, those chrome wheels are "like whoa!"

did you get the chromed somewhere?

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, 15% tint

Old 09-15-2003, 02:16 PM

niiiiiiiiice, hey can you do mine next?? [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm only like 10 minutes away from you (i think).....we missed you at the last (actually first) Sac meet, I wanted to see your wheels grrrrrr!!!!

to all that are wondering about his wheels, here is the link prices/etc is in there:

Black Chromed OEM 18's - W/Pics

CB 5AT - SAC, CA

Old 09-15-2003, 02:46 PM

Why not paint the inside instead?

03.5 Coupe - Black/Willow, 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, Sat

Old 09-15-2003, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the comments/feedback everyone:

wickedG35:

The coat is pretty heavy. I'm hoping that will add to the durability factor. Pic #2 shows how much light gets through the finished lens. I looked at them last night and there's still a fair amount of light coming through. Not as much as the orange lens, but not too bad.

max2DGG:

I post my pics using html image tags referrencing images I'm hosting on my web server. That way I can post as many pictures as I want in whatever file size I want and I don't take up space on the g35driver.com server.

NOTLOWNF:

The wheels are done in black chrome. I have a post with info. and pics about that <a href="https://g35driver.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=14&Number=88295&page=0&vie w=collapsed&sb=5&part=1&vc=1">here</a>. I got the wheels done at a local shop here in the Sacramento, CA area called Precision Wheel Works (916) 641-7454. The price was $820 out the door (no shipping since it was local).

g35pimp
Yes, it still lights up orange. Pic #2 shows how the light looks. $820 out the door for the black chrome process on the rims.

redwillow:

Thanks for the comment about the rims. I'm really happy with the way they turned out. I like the smoked side markers better than the orange even with my color (DP), but I think they would look best on DG or black.

Old 09-15-2003, 03:05 PM

mozy:
Thanks!! I wasn't happy I had to miss the Sac meet. I had to make a last minute business trip to Oregon (A total waste BTW). I saw the pics posted in the Regional West Forum. Sounds like you'all had a good time. I'm hoping for another meet in not too long. I was actually thinking it would be great to get some enthusiasts together and do a day at <a href="http://www.thunderhill.com">Thunderhill</a>. Check out their advanced driving class. A friend of mine went with his 350Z club and said it was the most fun he's ever had.

Shader7:
To paint the inside you'd have to crack open the lens which I didn't want to do. If the finish doesn't hold up to the elements I might have to consider it, but we'll see how the easy way out does first.

Old 09-15-2003, 04:41 PM

excellent mod!!!! easy and cheap

Old 09-15-2003, 05:59 PM

Wow that looks HOT!!! I tried doing this to my I30 with Night Shades, but it never came out evenly, so I just bought clears.

2001 I30t (Next: G35)

Old 09-18-2003, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone want to try that with the clear sidemarkers? i think that would be a much more smoked look. maybe less coats as well.

G35S 6MT
K&N Typhoon intake
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts (soon)
6-wire ground kit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY Smoked Side Markers W/PICS