Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Alright, it's not a G35. but it's still nice to look at! S4 detail.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Alright, it's not a G35. but it's still nice to look at! S4 detail.

Hey everyone - thought I'd post even though it's not a G. Why? Well aside from being a nice car it was a very interesting detail for me, I learned a lot through early frustration.

The story on this car is that the left side had been re-painted due to an accident, so driver side doors and rear fender, and the driver side roof to blend it in, rear bumper and deck lid.... The rest was factory paint. As some of you know Audi factory paint (especially the later 90s early 2000's stuff) is rock hard. Very difficult to work. Ironically the repaint was butter soft, so I was switching pads and polishes a lot because I wasn't exactly sure where the re-paint ended and the factory paint began.

Rear bumper was wetsanded due to a long scuff. Numerous paint blobs were sanded on the hood.

The factory paint was pretty much what I expected - very hard. Process was Menzerna PG on an orange pad via PC, Opt Compound on an orange to help clean up hazing, opt polish on a white, clearkote VM on a white.

The repainted side was the exact opposite, totally soft. In fact all I needed to remove the marring was Opt Polish on a white pad (as many of you know this is a very light combo), for the first time ever for me this combo HAZED. The paint was so soft even VM was hazing it. So I did Opt Polish on a white, VM on a white, Klasse AIO on a black (ya, a finishing pad), to clean it up.

After all that I sealed with Menzerna FMJ and topped with Clearkote Carnauba Wax. ~7 hours, but a very productive detail. I believe the owner was happy with the results. I think as time goes on if he continues to have it polished lightly some of the deeper marring with be worked out. Sorry for the indoor pics, it rained solid all day so no rolling it outside. Pics:

After:

Interior was done too, but it's less exciting. More here:

http://gtaindetail.com/pics/01s4051806/

Cheers.

Last edited by Picus; 05-19-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks AWESOME. GREAT job with the detail. Looks like it was worth it. LOL!

Old 05-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow very very nice!!! what did you do with / use on the interior?

Old 05-19-2006, 02:14 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
absolutly amazing like always, would expect nothing less.
-GP-

Old 05-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by Alan
wow very very nice!!! what did you do with / use on the interior?
Hi Alan - the interior was pretty straightforward. I took out the matts and used Folex on them (Folex can be found at just about any hardware store), it's a really good spot remover. I also hit the salt stains with a salt stain remover. I scrubbed with a brush then wet vac'd with my Little Green Machine ($99, made by Bissel). Interior carpets were the same deal. I used a mix of 50% water 50% folex on the alcantra seats, and used Leatherique Pristine Clean on the leather. Dash was cleaned/dressed with Meguairs Interior dressing - door jambs were cleaned with Poorboys APC and then waxed with OCW.

Cheers.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
WOW what an improvement.....
great job as usual Kevin.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MISSED A SPOT!!!!!.........................

J/K Kevin.

The detail looks amazing as usuall!!!
Keep up the amazing work.

B.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Staff ALUMNI
lol, I am sure I did miss a spot unfortauntely. Since the repainted side hazed so easily I just know that under the sun there will be a little hazing in some spots that I couldn't detect with the halogens. Oh well, hopefully he will have me back in the future.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
lol, I am sure I did miss a spot unfortauntely. Since the repainted side hazed so easily I just know that under the sun there will be a little hazing in some spots that I couldn't detect with the halogens. Oh well, hopefully he will have me back in the future.
Kevin don't be so modest. We have seen your work in person. You are a perfectionist. Nice work .
Wayne

Old 05-19-2006, 09:49 AM
PDT
Kevin, amazing work. Great job, as Wayne said, we've seen your work, you do an amazing job!!

Old 05-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nice work, congrats

Old 05-19-2006, 10:55 AM
You are going to get yourself in trouble doing work like this, You set the bar so high it will be tough to reach time and time again....Impressive once again.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:46 AM
I'd like to see sunlight pics but it's a definite improvement from those pics. If only I had your skills and knowledge.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Staff ALUMNI
I'd like to see sunlight pics too. It's hard to gauge polish work under halogens sometimes, so it was frsutrating that the sun never popped out. Unfortunately as I mentioned it rained solid all day yesterday, so there was no chance to roll it out. The owner is very cool and seems to have a good understanding of car care, so if he has me back we'll definitely be able to work some more stubborn of the imperfections out of the paint.

Last edited by Picus; 05-19-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
Hi Alan - the interior was pretty straightforward. I took out the matts and used Folex on them (Folex can be found at just about any hardware store), it's a really good spot remover. I also hit the salt stains with a salt stain remover. I scrubbed with a brush then wet vac'd with my Little Green Machine ($99, made by Bissel). Interior carpets were the same deal. I used a mix of 50% water 50% folex on the alcantra seats, and used Leatherique Pristine Clean on the leather. Dash was cleaned/dressed with Meguairs Interior dressing - door jambs were cleaned with Poorboys APC and then waxed with OCW.

Cheers.
Hey Kevin,

Fantastic work.

What do you use for a salt stain remover?

Deane

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alright, it's not a G35. but it's still nice to look at! S4 detail.