Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Best launch for a 5AT coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2005 | 07:48 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
When you say rev in first gear are you talking about launching a 5K rpm's? If you are all your going to do is spin the tires. If your talking about hitting 5K rpm's before shifting into 2nd gear your nowhere near the rev limiter. The rev limiter is around 7200 rpms.

Old 04-15-2005 | 11:05 AM
i'm talking about the trans-brake mode. you pull the vdc fus off, hit the brake and gas - the car revs to about 5k rpm. grin light - you let the brake go and off you go. i know for you rwd guys it would be an issue with traction. for me, the awd would take care of that
i've seen other guys post that before, just curious how much difference it would make. i'm going to try that next time i'm at the track. should be next saturday. i'll let you all know how i do.

Old 04-15-2005 | 11:37 AM
Devil's Advocate
Man, 5k rpm seems really high especially considering that you're boosted. Be careful that you don't wreck your tranny.

Old 04-15-2005 | 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
i am going to disagree with these guys and until they can post better than consistant low 2.1 60' times i will do it my way.

dont hold the gas at all it makes it hesitate when you take off, put the auto manual shift in third gear, hold the brake down firmly, then floor it and then let off the brake. reving it up and trying to take off got me 2.2 and 2.3 s so i figured out a way to take off faster.

14.2 bone stock in florida with 2.1 60' times is pretty good i think....
I've got to agree. This seems to be the best way to launch this car with minimal bog and just the right amount of tire spin.

Old 04-15-2005 | 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by powerhousefan
i'm talking about the trans-brake mode. you pull the vdc fus off, hit the brake and gas - the car revs to about 5k rpm. grin light - you let the brake go and off you go. i know for you rwd guys it would be an issue with traction. for me, the awd would take care of that
i've seen other guys post that before, just curious how much difference it would make. i'm going to try that next time i'm at the track. should be next saturday. i'll let you all know how i do.
Are you sure about this because it seems totally impossible to do on the stock torque converter unless you've got it strapped to a 800hp motor. With stock or mostly stock power levels, the stock stall speed seems to be about 2400rpms which is pretty decent for an OEM torque converter. If you've got a blower which might add 70-80hp, the stall speed may go up another 200-300rpms because the additional power can push the torque converter a little harder. Pushing it to 5000rpms would be quite a feat and the only way to do it is to have a huge amount of power or a aftermarket converter. BTW, pushing the stock stall to 5000rpms would blow it up because the pump/vane/strator aren't made for that type massive torque multiplication and heat.

Old 04-15-2005 | 01:14 PM
i just ordered an aftermarket torque converter. i've never tried this myself. just found other guys who've done this. they claim to have better 1/4 mile #s. i don't want to kill my tranny but i'm willing to try a few runs at the track to see if it really makes a difference.

Old 04-15-2005 | 01:58 PM
Devil's Advocate
I've done it at about 2000 rpm, definitely got a better time, still had some wheel spin though.

Old 04-20-2005 | 04:07 PM
Even with an aftermarket TC upgrade - there is no way in he11 that you're going to launch a 5AT at anything over 3k rpms... now if you're in a 6sp, that's a totally different story...

Old 04-22-2005 | 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by HomieG35
You can put our autos in any gear sitting still. On the dash it will still read "1".

Do this:
Sitting at a stop light flip over to MM.
Tap the shifter up once.
[This would put you in "2" if you were moving]
Green light, go.
Don't touch the shifter.
If accellerating normal your car will shift around 10 - 11mph into second on its own.
Now "1" will automatically switch to "2" on the display.
Still no touching of the shifter.
Keep accellerating and you will find that the car will hold out 2nd gear until you shift.

The car does this so you wont hurt anything.
Sort of like how it wont let you go from 5 to 1...you'd blow something up for sure.
If the car lets you start in 2 you might burn something up.
So instead, if you push the shifter up while sitting still the display will still read 1 until the next gear can be safely unlocked and it will shift because the ECU has been told you want to shift up.

Another example.
Drag stip.
Flip to MM.
Hit it forward 3 times
1 will still be displayed.
Put both hands on the wheel.
Take off.
It will shift from 1 - 2, 2 -3.
One you get at 4000 RPMs in 3 get ready.
The car will bounce off the redline now that it is in 3.

Hope that helped.
Do your tires still spin alot doing it this way? Have you times improved or do you feel faster off the line?

Old 04-23-2005 | 02:12 PM
Homie, what year is your car. I have an '05 and I don't think I can do that method. I tried it yesterday with no success.

Old 04-23-2005 | 03:22 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
'04 "X" car here.........method no workee. Are you sure you don't have an '03 with a messed up display?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best launch for a 5AT coupe